Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X priority for Model S customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice, but there would be a LOT more Model S owners than there were Roadster owners. I suspect they wanted to accelerate early Model S sales (both for the numbers and the cash deposits), so that's why they did what they did. Not sure they NEED to do that now -- and as mentioned, if they did, they might end up with (close to) all of the reservations being either Model S or Roadster owners.

At the time of the X launch, there was no priority given in the reservation system to Roadster owners or S Sig reservation holders. However, since those two groups were invited to the Model X launch party - and reservations opened that evening for those that were there - it could be argued that they were given priority that evening. Reservations didn't open to the general public until noon the next day.

If you ask me, this whole Signature business itself has been flawed in retrospect. It has generated more angst/disappointment than goodwill/pride-of-ownership.

Tesla, please keep it simple for Gen III and honor reservations in the order that they are made and not who they are made by and what those folks own already - you wouldn't want to be messing with a potential audience that's an order of magnitude larger than it is ever going to be for the Model S or X. No "cutting in line" or "money talking" at that time, please.

I'm on the wall about giving current Tesla owners a brief window of time to reserve a future model before opening the floodgates for everyone. Heck, don't do that either!

I'm on the wall about giving current Tesla owners a brief window of time to reserve a future model before opening the floodgates for everyone. Heck, don't do that either!

Why not? I think it works well. If you're at the event, you have the opportunity to register early (like 15 hours early) -- after that, the floodgates are open! So, maintains a tad bit of exclusivity, while still being pretty fair overall. Keep in mind you'll be an S owner at that point -- wouldn't you appreciate them rewarding your loyalty? :)

On the downside: Should Tesla ever blow up and be the Apple of cars, I could see people rushing to these events, reserving multiple vehicles and then flipping them.

Keep in mind you'll be an S owner at that point -- wouldn't you appreciate them rewarding your loyalty? :)

Trust me, AO, if the Model S works out over the next few years, and if Gen III is priced at $30k-ish, I'm definitely going to be in line for a second Tesla! :)

Yeah, maybe event-driven early signups may not be particularly fair, even to current Tesla owners - only a few hardcore folks such as yourself and Dave (dsm363) could make it to the X reveal from outside Calif. If Tesla can work out a web/email-driven mechanism for current owners to reserve early, then, that's probably reasonable.

Anyway, it's a long way to go for Gen 3...

Anyway, it's a long way to go for Gen 3...

I am waiting impatiently for that day. Honestly, as a non-Tesla owner, it doesn't offend me in the slightest to think that current owners will have priority over me. The fact that the owners of previous Tesla models exist makes it possible for me to own one someday...and I've been following Tesla almost since inception. I think if people are realistic about the fact that those who were EV beta testers (as the Roadster and Model S are truly like nothing before them) bore the cost of making the technology viable, they would have the same attitude as me.

As for the Tesla owners who can't make the event; I agree that a "phone in your order" system for the night of the reveal would be a good idea.

*edited grammar and punctuation* :redface:

At the time of the X launch, there was no priority given in the reservation system to Roadster owners or S Sig reservation holders. However, since those two groups were invited to the Model X launch party - and reservations opened that evening for those that were there - it could be argued that they were given priority that evening. Reservations didn't open to the general public until noon the next day.

Cali-centric and don't forget that us poor buggers sitting on the east coast had to contend with crashing servers and therefore no stream most of the time.

I think it would be reasonable to recognize people with a Roadster and Model S wanting to complete the set of three. Hmmm, let me see if I can think of anyone considering that..... :wink:

I did ask at the event if Roadster owners had a block reserved - and received an unequivocal 'NO, not for the X'. Did you reserve an X the next day at noon? I'm sure if you'd called your rep, they would have taken care of you.

Also, dsm was there. I know that because we rode together. And a wholllle bunch of other out-of-staters.

I did ask at the event if Roadster owners had a block reserved - and received an unequivocal 'NO, not for the X'. Did you reserve an X the next day at noon? I'm sure if you'd called your rep, they would have taken care of you.

FWIW, I reserved online the morning after the reveal (roughly noon EST), and I have X #411. I did not opt for a Signature, so I don't know how many of those had been taken by then.