Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Refresh driver side doors sensing obstruction that isn't there....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please help. About 4 months into ownership of my 2022 Refresh Model X my driver side doors, including the falcon wing, sense that there is something next to the car when there is not, and the doors won't open (drivers door just pops open nothing more) because of it. It has been to Tesla 2x, on the 2nd visit they replaced the ultrasonic sensor but no change.

I tried recalibrating the doors but no change. unfortunately I can't post a picture, but when you're in the car, put the car in park, and look at the main screen, one can see a red radar imaging next to the left sided door, like the radar is sensing something immediately next to the car, and the doors won't open. I can over-ride the falcon wing to open fully. The driver door will pop open but do nothing more.

Any ideas? Tesla suggested its a software issue and a fix is coming, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you,
Justin

Reactions: jiehan and mokorean
here is a picture of what I'm referring to. The car was parked outside with no adjacent obstructions present.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 594
Please help. About 4 months into ownership of my 2022 Refresh Model X my driver side doors, including the falcon wing, sense that there is something next to the car when there is not, and the doors won't open (drivers door just pops open nothing more) because of it. It has been to Tesla 2x, on the 2nd visit they replaced the ultrasonic sensor but no change.

I tried recalibrating the doors but no change. unfortunately I can't post a picture, but when you're in the car, put the car in park, and look at the main screen, one can see a red radar imaging next to the left sided door, like the radar is sensing something immediately next to the car, and the doors won't open. I can over-ride the falcon wing to open fully. The driver door will pop open but do nothing more.

Any ideas? Tesla suggested its a software issue and a fix is coming, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you,
Justin
Justin,

You have a loose tripod support inside your port falcon wing door. That is the apparatus that holds the sensor. Not sure why it's still bad after your recent maintenance but that's most likely the culprit.

Reactions: everydaychris
thank you for your reply bookiepilot69. I've attached a copy of my service invoice. The sensor "carrier" was also replaced in the process. I'm not sure if that's the same thing as what you're referring to. But interestingly, it is not happening every single time I open the door now since today's service, and before it was more intermittent.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpeg
    IMG_0332.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 271
thank you for your reply bookiepilot69. I've attached a copy of my service invoice. The sensor "carrier" was also replaced in the process. I'm not sure if that's the same thing as what you're referring to. But interestingly, it is not happening every single time I open the door now since today's service, and before it was more intermittent.
I picked up my new MXP on Friday and I’m having the exact same issue. Left side of the car. They replaced the sensor at delivery and it worked correctly for an hour, then the issue reappeared. I’m scheduling a service appt in a couple weeks.

I picked up my new MXP on Friday and I’m having the exact same issue. Left side of the car. They replaced the sensor at delivery and it worked correctly for an hour, then the issue reappeared. I’m scheduling a service appt in a couple weeks.
Yes, mine was intermittent. The (excellent) tech that repaired mine explained that the factory installation had one leg of the tripod on some type of felt paper (versus being firmly attached to the metal door interior) and speculated that it was moving just enough from vibration to create the intermittent errors. He 'mused' that, since he had seen the exact, same problem with another vehicle in the service center, that perhaps a robot doing the factory installation at the factory caused the problem and that more examples might turn up. Well, it seems like that is possible, based on the multiple, similar reports I'm seeing. Further, he showed me how exacting the fix was to reattach to tripod back to the door, by using a force meter for a specific time when re-gluing it etc. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Yes, mine was intermittent. The (excellent) tech that repaired mine explained that the factory installation had one leg of the tripod on some type of felt paper (versus being firmly attached to the metal door interior) and speculated that it was moving just enough from vibration to create the intermittent errors. He 'mused' that, since he had seen the exact, same problem with another vehicle in the service center, that perhaps a robot doing the factory installation at the factory caused the problem and that more examples might turn up. Well, it seems like that is possible, based on the multiple, similar reports I'm seeing. Further, he showed me how exacting the fix was to reattach to tripod back to the door, by using a force meter for a specific time when re-gluing it etc. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip, I'm seeing this issue intermittent as well. Is the tripod on the wing door or driver's door?

We're having this exact same issue. It happened at delivery (Nov 16th) and they replaced the sensor. It's still happening intermittently. I've got another appt scheduled.
Also the driver side of the car? Let us know what you learn at the service appt. I'm scheduled to go in for service Tuesday 12/13 and even mentioned to check the tripod assembly fastening in the service notes.

Same issue. Had the sensor replaced 3-4 weeks ago.

Just picked up my car yesterday because it continued occurring. Here is what they did:
“Performed replacement of center spine applique (with roof USS) and performed USS calibration, FWD calibrations.” ~$680

Guess what, still an issue.

I have been to the Service Center 3 times

They said they fixed it ( once replace the USS). but still an issue

Would be curious to see if someone gets it resolved

I am tired of raising a ticket every 2 weeks and then nothing gets fixed

I have been to the Service Center 3 times

They said they fixed it ( once replace the USS). but still an issue

Would be curious to see if someone gets it resolved

I am tired of raising a ticket every 2 weeks and then nothing gets fixed
Wow, sure sorry you are having the problem over and over. Mine was fixed the first time but it was very exacting and not easy. No good to speculate what they are doing or not doing, but if I were to guess, I would say they're not following the proper procedure. Mine was fixed the first time and has worked just great for the last several weeks. If I were you I might try a different repair source. There is hope!

I had the car in for service yesterday to look at the driver-side falcon door false obstruction issue. In the service notes I even mentioned to inspect the tripod apparatus that holds the sensor as the potential cause. The service manager said he spoke to the master technician he agreed it's the likely issue. I assume it's the same part but in my service notes it says, "replaced Sensor Carrier w/ Adhesives Left (1075447-00-C)and Sensor, Ultrasonic Radial, Coupling Tape (1055890-00-E". All seems to be good now with no false readings! Fingers crossed it's fixed.

Reactions: TJPDX
Got the same intermittent issue with passenger side FWD. Is it something mobile service can fix?
Not sure, no harm in submitting a mobile service request stating the issue and recommended solution above. Tesla will then either confirm the appt or suggest bringing it in. Suggesting the solution really helped me as the service mgr checked with the master technician and he confirmed this was the correct remedy.

Got the same intermittent issue with passenger side FWD. Is it something mobile service can fix?
Our problem was fixed by mobile service. Initially they requested that I bring the car in to Phoenix, which is about a 2 hour drive from where we live, and after I explained that I would really appreciate not having to do that, they accommodated me quite nicely. All in all, I'm really quite happy with the mobile service capabilities that we have experienced.

Thank you,
Justin

I had the same on the same model (TMX 2022] and at the Service center they had to change a sensor.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine