Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X serious paint issues with less than 10K miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never seen these type of paint chipping problems on any of my other cars. I have other cars with over 100K and going to snow every weekend and the paint still looks great.
How can this be normal? I am babying my model X as much as I can. See the pictures below.

It certainly doesn't look like chips, at least not around the wheel well. Isn't some of that plastic? And I can see the same stuff on the plastic. Any chance you drove through something wet and nasty? Paint, concrete, or ???
I just drove thru snow, nothing unusual. See the picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.JPG
    IMG_1533.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 84
The cladding is not painted. There's nothing to chip on it. If you gouge it with a knife, it's the same color all the way through. Your photo shows the same white dots on cladding as on the paint.

It's likely there is contamination on the paint. Sometimes that doesn't wash off and sometimes it won't even clay off.

Do you have any polishing compound you can try rubbing on a spot? I've removed seemingly impossible stuck stuff from our X paint with very fine finishing polish and a microfiber pad.

Looks like the road salt and gravel might have given your paint job a nice sandblast. You might want to consider getting a detailer look at the damage to see if you can get that polished out and get it either paint protection film or have one of the nano coated polymers put on like CQuartz Finest, Opticoat or GTecniq Crystal Serum. I use both PPF and CQuartz on top of the film and glass on my Teslas.

A link to a Model S my detailer paint corrected for swirls on the paint.

2015 Tesla Model S P85D

Another Model S paint correction.

2015 Tesla Model S P85

The first thing I do with new vehicles is bringing them in for PPF and a polymer coating straight from the showroom. I like CQuartz Finest for the extra shine vs the other coatings. Washing and cleaning the vehicle is so much easier when a coating is applied and it always looks like it is freshly waxed after going through a touchless carwash.

The cladding is not painted. There's nothing to chip on it. If you gouge it with a knife, it's the same color all the way through. Your photo shows the same white dots on cladding as on the paint.

It's likely there is contamination on the paint. Sometimes that doesn't wash off and sometimes it won't even clay off.

Do you have any polishing compound you can try rubbing on a spot? I've removed seemingly impossible stuck stuff from our X paint with very fine finishing polish and a microfiber pad.

The cladding seems like it just has a lot of small indents so it looks like different color but it's not. The paint definitely has a lot of small chips all over. It's also all ove the side front doors going all the way up to the windows :( I have never seen anything like that.

Looks like the road salt and gravel might have given your paint job a nice sandblast. You might want to consider getting a detailer look at the damage to see if you can get that polished out and get it either paint protection film or have one of the nano coated polymers put on like CQuartz Finest, Opticoat or GTecniq Crystal Serum. I use both PPF and CQuartz on top of the film and glass on my Teslas.

A link to a Model S my detailer paint corrected for swirls on the paint.

2015 Tesla Model S P85D

Another Model S paint correction.

2015 Tesla Model S P85

The first thing I do with new vehicles is bringing them in for PPF and a polymer coating straight from the showroom. I like CQuartz Finest for the extra shine vs the other coatings. Washing and cleaning the vehicle is so much easier when a coating is applied and it always looks like it is freshly waxed after going through a touchless carwash.

Thanks for the link. I need to find someone local to take a look at the damage. I can't believe the paint gets stripped so easily after only 10K miles driving. I was going to do 3M film on the front end of the car but looks like the whole car needs to be covered. It may be too late now since the paint is damaged.