Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X service plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point I believe Tesla should understand that having no ESA/Service Plans may hurt some future sales for the X. A lot of people are not willing to commit to purchasing not knowing how much an ESA will run for those extra 4 years "warranty" with such a complicated car, etc.

I'm ok with not having a service plan....what gets me nervous is keeping this vehicle without an extended warranty given all that has gone wrong and could go wrong.

I got it on the S....I wonder if some financial analysts at Tesla are doing the math and thinking it doesn't make financial sense to offer one

I'm sure that Tesla will eventually provide a Service Plan and a Extended Warranty Plan for the Model X. It's a source of revenue that they would be silly to ignore. They may be delaying it due to the issues with the early build quality and waiting to get that sorted out first (just a guess). Or perhaps they still need to collect more data so that an actuarial can do proper analysis to determine the pricing.

Since it's Tesla that is delaying the offering, I have no concern that I'll miss out. When it does become available, I'm 100% certain they will notify me and give me plenty of time to take them up on these plans.

In the meantime, they have repaired and taken care of every problem I've had, so I have no complaints thus far. I'm happy to keep the money earmarked for these plans for as long as possible.

What if Tesla came out with a 4 year extended warranty for the X and priced it at $15k, would you still buy it? Not saying they would do that, but without an announced plan you can't really know for sure.

The answer from my DS Friday was that they do not yet have it ready. There will be no "60 day" limit from time of delivery, but might be a 60 day from time of announcement to all who have had delivery. I am expecting it to be about 5-10% more than the MS plans, but that is just speculation on my part. I suspect that the bean counters are trying to wrap their minds around the data they are slowly assembling from the minimal deliveries to date.
I see where several X owners have now scheduled service as they have either approached their mileage or 12 month service time frame. Im curious if the cost of this initial service is in line with the cost of the S, or higher, indicating the service plan will be priced higher as well?

As I'm almost 60 days after delivery, I just dropped by my local service center to inquire about the availability of the prepaid service plan and was surprised to learn they still haven't decided upon anything.

The person at the service center mentioned that, if you are approaching your 12 month service, they will likely make a note of your VIN and that you are interested in the service plan and waive the fee...fully expecting that there will be a plan. In other words, the 60 day after delivery limitation will obviously not apply to us.

Apparently, the extended warranty still hasn't been decided either.

I'm not real happy with Tesla's response to this, as I bought my car (Sept 19, 2016 delivery) fully expecting to include not only the service plan but also the extended warranty. Now I'm getting the brush off with no real indication that these services may or may not even be offered.

The service plan and extended warranty were a huge factor in my decision to buy an EV, a car I fully realized I couldn't maintain on my own in the same way I have always taken care of my ICE vehicles. I don't even know of an independent repair shop that can service my vehicle, so Im forced to one source for service with no control over pricing. This is very aggravating to say the least! Thanks everyone for your input, I know Im not a loan wolf here......

I'm not real happy with Tesla's response to this, as I bought my car (Sept 19, 2016 delivery) fully expecting to include not only the service plan but also the extended warranty. Now I'm getting the brush off with no real indication that these services may or may not even be offered.

The service plan and extended warranty were a huge factor in my decision to buy an EV, a car I fully realized I couldn't maintain on my own in the same way I have always taken care of my ICE vehicles. I don't even know of an independent repair shop that can service my vehicle, so Im forced to one source for service with no control over pricing. This is very aggravating to say the least! Thanks everyone for your input, I know Im not a loan wolf here......
Seriously? You have 4/8 years before you need the extended warranty. Relax, it's a long way off. With regards to the service plan, Tesla will take care of all service gratis right now. There are probably other more pressing issues you should be concerning yourself with, this isn't one of them.

You are right Vandacca, we have an election and lots of other 1st world problems I should be focused on. I guess my frustration really comes from 40 years of dealing with auto dealerships that were less than honest with the way they treated customers. It pushed me to be a self service guy who has suddenly realized I dont even know how to change the 12volt battery in this new car. I do love my X - really!

Reactions: vandacca