Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a video camera is integrated into a conventional side view mirror housing (that can also fold flat at speed but the camera still works) the camera image can be fed directly to display on the side of the rear view mirror. It would have nothing to do with the cars computer or the center dashboard display and therefore would still work even when the center or driver display screens are being rebooted.

This rear view mirror housing could be wider and slightly taller than normal to accommodate display areas for the side view cameras and still have space for the conventional glass rear view mirror, but without obstructing the drivers vision forward since the X is so tall anyway.

An advantage of showing the side view cameras in the rear view mirror housing is that the camera images will not be washed out by glare. They will always be in the shade of the roof.

I don't think that would cut the drag enough to be worth it though. I really wish they could just get approval for standalone cameras, as that seems like it would be an awesome advancement (especially with the feed elegantly featured on the speedo cluster) - so beautiful:
bg_06_interior_prod-05-55.jpg

That really would be excellent. I hope there is at least a plan to be able to remove the mirrors and switch to cameras when possible.

(Actually, I just had to post this so there would be three "MODEL X" license plates in a row on the blog)

That really would be excellent. I hope there is at least a plan to be able to remove the mirrors and switch to cameras when possible.

(Actually, I just had to post this so there would be three "MODEL X" license plates in a row on the blog)

For the win!
:) I wonder when they will all meet? :) Should be in Maine summer 2016, well I'll likely be everywhere the US in 2016 (or at least within reach of a Supercharger or a National Park).

:) I wonder when they will all meet? :) Should be in Maine summer 2016, well I'll likely be everywhere the US in 2016 (or at least within reach of a Supercharger or a National Park).

I'm open to discussion. Vancouver certainly isn't far. We probably need to get the car first though. I had planned a driving trip to Nappa in August thinking that was a for sure thing but I'm not very confident of that now, even with my low number.

Now an observant, diligent moderator might want to argue that posts about avatars (and random get togethers) are not exactly on topic for the Model X Side Mirrors thread... but since HRHLGP is directly involved, I doubt we'll see some bold moving around of the offending posts...

*snicker*

Here is the informal document that was filed for publication.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2015/wp29grsg/GRSG-108-46r2e.pdf

The published doc is purchasable.

Lets hope for an adoption of this before X is for sale.

At this point if they don't already have clearance for removing them, they have very likely pushed it to the side until after they go live. They have enough on their plate to worry about right now that I wouldn't expect them to put on the side cameras / remove the mirrors even if the regulations changed tomorrow.

Hopefully, it will be a change we can see in a few years though! And maybe if we are lucky, they were forward thinking about it and you can change out your mirrors down the road at minimal cost. But at thus stage I would not expect it to happen at launch.

I would suspect that the wiring harnesses and "everything but the camera" will be built into every MX, so when they do get the clearance, it will be an easy and affordable retrofit... Unlike the folding mirrors in the MS.

Where does Tesla envision putting the displays for the RVM? On the A pillars?

Or on second thought, include everything as planned, including the camera and the mirrors, and when they get clearance, just remove the mirrors as a "retrofit".

But maybe that would be too expensive at the outset.

I would suspect that the wiring harnesses and "everything but the camera" will be built into every MX, so when they do get the clearance, it will be an easy and affordable retrofit... Unlike the folding mirrors in the MS.

Where does Tesla envision putting the displays for the RVM? On the A pillars?

Or on second thought, include everything as planned, including the camera and the mirrors, and when they get clearance, just remove the mirrors as a "retrofit".

But maybe that would be too expensive at the outset.

I think they had the displays in the monitor infront of the steering wheel either side of the reverse image
0000020412-Driver-Side-Display.jpg

x_1.jpg

Imagining it being like this when your driving forward. With a toggle mode for other info.
Who knows?

The problem with that is that buyer will pull the mirrors off. Although I suppose the camera system could be disabled in software until approved.

I'm confident that buyers get cameras and no mirrors for free when approved. The only question for me is how they have decided to implement that upgrade. How they are implementing the camera display is also confusing. Perhaps the LCD is enlarged to have the default include two camera views.

It all seems complicated just to eliminate a couple of mirrors.