TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X stealing the thunder from Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Sonny Daze, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

• Funny x 4
  2. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

#2 omgwtfbyobbq, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    I think Tesla's going to push the roof back a bit on the Model 3 as well. Not as much as they do with the X, but more than they do with the S. But yeah, the panoramic windshield on the X is awesome.

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The X is perfect for livery services, and if it was a little cheaper it'd be the perfect taxi - easy access, lots of room, cheap fuel, comfortable to drive, and it should impress the clients. :)

• Like x 1
  4. joelooks

joelooks New Member

For that matter the S too would be a perfect livery car. But Uber has other plans

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I tend to think the back seat is a little cramped for that. If Tesla made a stretched version with a higher roofline, it'd be a slam dunk.

6. yesup

yesup Member

It's awesome on paper, and the first time you sit inside a Model X.

But once you have driven it for sometime, you would simply stop noticing it. Especially the top part is tinted, some of the "scenery flying past you" effect is diminished.
    And with its cost and as one of the cause of Model X massive delayed launch, it has caused more trouble than its worth, IMHO.

• Disagree x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Disagree. Eight months later, it's still one of my favorite features. I might not notice it as much - until I get into a car without it.

I don't think the glass caused any major delays - going that way was tired in with the FWD, though, enabled by the massive H frame that supports them.

• Like x 2
  8. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

Fake news...The X and 3 are totally different animals. The X is getting more attention right now because it's on the road. Once the Model 3s start hitting the road, that's all everyone will be talking about, until the Model Y comes out, then until the semi comes out, then until the pickup comes out...

• Like x 2
  9. UnitaryExecutive

Have to disagree - it makes the car feel extra airy and open. Like someone said, it's really noticeable when you drive other cars, even an S. I love the model 3 looks and size but I really don't want to lose the windshield.

Oh, you also see the coolest cloud formations - I find myself looking up at the sky on autopilot all the time.

• Like x 3
  10. xav-

xav- Member

The model x is the perfect example of what's not to do with the 3... spaceship features like FWD that offer absolutely 0 value, poor range, horrible reliability and not to mention it is not very pretty (definitely not the prettiest SUV on the market). It is so disappointing compared to the model S.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
  11. timk225

timk225 Member

Too bad that the X is over DOUBLE the price of the 3, at the very least. All these open views and wide open "feelings" better be pretty amazing to be worth it!

12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the Model X to have over 400,000 reservations. Then this thread would be relevant.

• Love x 1
  13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with it on pretty much all points.

The fact that Tesla can build an SUV that gets the same efficiency as my Volt is incredible - the car is 20% bigger in every direction, 30% heavier, but it doesn't use any more electricity. My X is actually more efficient than early RWD Ss per the EPA.

The FWD may not be useful to you, but they have a number of valuable features for some people, especially parents of kids in child seats and folks with limited mobility.

It doesn't look like most SUVs, certainly, but I like the look (maybe not quite as much as the S.)

Add in the windshield and easier entry and powered doors and factory towing, and I think it's a much better car.

• Like x 5
  14. Lem89

Lem89 Member

Wish people would stop using this buzzword, ironically made popular by mainstream mass media.

• Like x 4
  15. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

no, made popular by the one that thinks calling it fake will make others believe it is
    Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 7.58.25 AM.png

• Like x 6
  16. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Despite what some on TMC might think, I saw a report on the news that a survey of people considering an electric car showed that the most desired EV is the Model X.

• Like x 1
  17. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I had my X out at an Earth Day event which also had a BMW i3, '17 LEAF, Tesla Roadster, an MG conversion, an autonomous Wheego, Chevy Bolt and Volt, Porsche Cayenne PHEV, and others. I can't say for sure which drew the most attention but I think the MG conversion (because you could see the motor and Tesla battery modules) and my X seemed to be the top 2. The event was at Georgia Tech so the students were very interested in both electric drivetrain and autonomous driving capabilities.

• Like x 2
  18. BayArea_David

BayArea_David Member

I can't tell you how useful of the FWD is since everyone has different driving needs. But that angelic FWD changed
    my mind from a Porsche SUV to MX. For Tesla, it was a win. If the MX was an ordinary EV with just longer range, I
    might not purchse it at all and if I did not purchased the MX, my wife would not have interest of driving a MS.

I have had my MX for 13 months now and I don't know if I tell you that I don't have any issue with the FWD except
    one false detection after one SW update and later was taken care of will change people's mind about the FWD.
    I have MX90D and MS90D. I like the MS but love the MX. But that is just me.

19. Garlan Garner

I know what you mean.

We are only 100 days in..... lots more comin.

20. Garlan Garner

I'm amazed you have so many likes. I thought you would have been crucified in here.