Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X stealing the thunder from Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Electrek: 4 Tesla Model X SUVs delivered to transit agency to test a ride-sharing service

“They’re like little spaceships. Even when you get into them, you feel like you’re in a cockpit.”

I thought the 3 was supposed to be the taxi that felt like a spaceship!

hyperlink-tampa-hart-e1492549957731.jpg

But yeah, the panoramic windshield on the X is awesome.

It's awesome on paper, and the first time you sit inside a Model X.

But once you have driven it for sometime, you would simply stop noticing it. Especially the top part is tinted, some of the "scenery flying past you" effect is diminished.
And with its cost and as one of the cause of Model X massive delayed launch, it has caused more trouble than its worth, IMHO.

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor

But once you have driven it for sometime, you would simply stop noticing it. Especially the top part is tinted, some of the "scenery flying past you" effect is diminished.
And with its cost and as one of the cause of Model X massive delayed launch, it has caused more trouble than its worth, IMHO.

Disagree. Eight months later, it's still one of my favorite features. I might not notice it as much - until I get into a car without it.

I don't think the glass caused any major delays - going that way was tired in with the FWD, though, enabled by the massive H frame that supports them.

Have to disagree - it makes the car feel extra airy and open. Like someone said, it's really noticeable when you drive other cars, even an S. I love the model 3 looks and size but I really don't want to lose the windshield.

Oh, you also see the coolest cloud formations - I find myself looking up at the sky on autopilot all the time.

The model x is the perfect example of what's not to do with the 3... spaceship features like FWD that offer absolutely 0 value, poor range, horrible reliability and not to mention it is not very pretty (definitely not the prettiest SUV on the market). It is so disappointing compared to the model S.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with it on pretty much all points.

The fact that Tesla can build an SUV that gets the same efficiency as my Volt is incredible - the car is 20% bigger in every direction, 30% heavier, but it doesn't use any more electricity. My X is actually more efficient than early RWD Ss per the EPA.

The FWD may not be useful to you, but they have a number of valuable features for some people, especially parents of kids in child seats and folks with limited mobility.

It doesn't look like most SUVs, certainly, but I like the look (maybe not quite as much as the S.)

Add in the windshield and easier entry and powered doors and factory towing, and I think it's a much better car.

Fake news...The X and 3 are totally different animals. The X is getting more attention right now because it's on the road. Once the Model 3s start hitting the road, that's all everyone will be talking about, until the Model Y comes out, then until the semi comes out, then until the pickup comes out...

Wish people would stop using this buzzword, ironically made popular by mainstream mass media.

Despite what some on TMC might think, I saw a report on the news that a survey of people considering an electric car showed that the most desired EV is the Model X.

I had my X out at an Earth Day event which also had a BMW i3, '17 LEAF, Tesla Roadster, an MG conversion, an autonomous Wheego, Chevy Bolt and Volt, Porsche Cayenne PHEV, and others. I can't say for sure which drew the most attention but I think the MG conversion (because you could see the motor and Tesla battery modules) and my X seemed to be the top 2. The event was at Georgia Tech so the students were very interested in both electric drivetrain and autonomous driving capabilities.

I can't tell you how useful of the FWD is since everyone has different driving needs. But that angelic FWD changed
my mind from a Porsche SUV to MX. For Tesla, it was a win. If the MX was an ordinary EV with just longer range, I
might not purchse it at all and if I did not purchased the MX, my wife would not have interest of driving a MS.

I have had my MX for 13 months now and I don't know if I tell you that I don't have any issue with the FWD except
one false detection after one SW update and later was taken care of will change people's mind about the FWD.
I have MX90D and MS90D. I like the MS but love the MX. But that is just me.