Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X too wide for UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering cancelling my Model X order, as I've read it's too wide for the UK.

Test driving it seemed fine, but I'm concerned about parking it in supermarkets etc and also 6'6" restrictions I'll no longer be able to manage.

I live near London but don't go in a lot.

Anyone with a Model X in the UK have any experience/advice/reassurance they can give please?

Model S and X are fine around London! Just won’t make it through 6’6 restrictions and just about makes the 7’0. Just need to be a little more careful and take a wider turning circle when you go up and down tight car parks. The car parks itself in tight spots so that isn’t an issue

Reactions: sk19
Thanks mate.

How much of a pain is it not making it through 66s? There are two in my town and I can get around both of them a different route, but I was driving around a weird unfamiliar place at the weekend and thsi 66 restriction came out of nowhere. Thankfully I was in a normal car and jsut went through but I was thinking if I had my Tesla I'd be in real trouble. In practice how much of an issue is it?

And car parks yes that also worries me, do you cope with that ok?

Fast Food drive thru [sic] restaurants etc typically have unreasonably tight lanes, how are they?

As for parking, is the parkign feature actually that good? EVen if so my issue isn't the ability to park it's the tight spaces. No matter how I can park if the spaces are too narrow they're too narrow. No point getting into a space if it means you then can't get out.

Honestly I have had no issues re-routing around 6’6 not an issue in London.

Car parks are also OK you just get used to the size of the car the proximity sensors and radar help a lot tell you how close you are to solid objects.

McDonald’s drive through lanes have been fine too. Just take things a little slower and you will be fine. You can fit alloygator on the wheels if you are worried about kerbing them.

The parking feature is good it can do parallel and perpendicular parking. There was one space that was super tight and it managed to get in, I had to do a 5 point turn to get out!

And car parks yes that also worries me, do you cope with that ok?

My wife won't take the MS to station or multi-story car parks. She can park it OK, but the car next door is probably going to "ding" it ... but ... she sensibly won't park in the far corner of the car park to then come back on train late at night, unlit car park, so wants a car she can park "by the door". Fair enough. By comparison I might well be happy to park in the far reaches, where other car conscious like minded souls' cars hang out, so likely to be respected. You might infer I could do with the exercise too ... :)

Or ... some wag suggested to me that all Tesla's will park adjacent, using summon, with an inch clearance on each side, so no damage and hard for thief / bent-nail welding pikey from getting access either ...

its a wide car, but other high-end cars you might own are likely to be too ... hadn't really thought about it, but the width presumably translates into more interior space?

Don’t cancel because of that!

I’m up in the north west but use multi story and drive thru a lot and no issues granted you have to be a little more aware of your width but it’s not an issue.

A big part of the M62 up here is down to 3 very tight lanes the width of the lane is a little more than my x but it’s fine EAP has a wobble every now and then but it’s fine.

Most super markets are actually ok, I had a similar worry but it’s not so tight that you cannot get out, once it was for me but that more about the people next to me being di&&s than anything else and summon sorted that out.

Joint the kings of the road and keep ya x order :)

Reactions: GraemeS and sk19
Don’t cancel because of that!

I’m up in the north west but use multi story and drive thru a lot and no issues granted you have to be a little more aware of your width but it’s not an issue.

A big part of the M62 up here is down to 3 very tight lanes the width of the lane is a little more than my x but it’s fine EAP has a wobble every now and then but it’s fine.

Most super markets are actually ok, I had a similar worry but it’s not so tight that you cannot get out, once it was for me but that more about the people next to me being di&&s than anything else and summon sorted that out.

Joint the kings of the road and keep ya x order :)

Thanks mate. Actually your point about summon is really good. I thought it'd be a good idea if a space was too tight but thought nah that would never work in practice so it's good I've gone for the summon option.

EAP has a wobble every now and then but it’s fine.

There is work on the A14 North of Cambridge with the two lanes squeezed together and a temporary solid concrete barrier, and each junction the whole lot swings over onto what was the central reservation, so about as bad as it can get for narrow lanes and risk of scraping the concrete. I'm super-extra vigilant at all times, particularly when getting more-squeeze by HGV, but even AP1 can usually manage it ... which I find extraordinary.

My worry about width is solely dings from cars in adjacent bays in tight car parks, I've never had a problem driving it, although as other have said multi storey with tight spiral ramps need attention - but so it does in my relatively long People Carrier ... and so on ...