Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOOOO!! I left my mudflap clip fasteners on my trade in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
I remember to take the mud flaps off, but I forgot they came with their own clip fastener thingies. So I put the clips right back in. Obviously when trying to install them on the new car the stock clip faster thingies weren't long enough. Does anybody know what size I need to install the OEM flaps? Or where to buy? Or is this an excuse to get non-oem mudflaps? Thanks

Just happens that I had one hanging on my rear door. This is the original one from tesla mud flap.

IMG_5856.jpeg
IMG_5858.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5857.jpeg
    IMG_5857.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 41
I just almost lost one Tesla-installed fron mudflap the other day. Found it scraping on the ground with only one of the two clips barely holding it on. Luckily I found the missing clip, dangling on a piece of tar near the bottom. I reinstalled it, but is not as tight as the other flap. Are these also glued on behind the flap and against the wheelwell cover?

I just almost lost one Tesla-installed fron mudflap the other day. Found it scraping on the ground with only one of the two clips barely holding it on. Luckily I found the missing clip, dangling on a piece of tar near the bottom. I reinstalled it, but is not as tight as the other flap. Are these also glued on behind the flap and against the wheelwell cover?
There is no glue involved with these OEM flaps and "clips". What brand do you have? I lost one flap over winter presumably from snow. I'm not sure glue would've saved it. Hmm... seems messy?

There is no glue involved with these OEM flaps and "clips". What brand do you have? I lost one flap over winter presumably from snow. I'm not sure glue would've saved it. Hmm... seems messy?

Tesla mud flaps. They came with the car, at no charge here in Illinois. Lasted almost 5 months without trouble. One seems super-affixed, and the other one that now has both clips back in place, can shake back and forth a bit.

Any clips on Amazon that advertise as fitting Tesla mudflaps had reviews that said they didn't.
I don’t think he is talking about clips that specifically says tesla. It’s a pack with various sizes. You ll likely find the size in there if you know what size to look for.

You be surprised how many body shops fix cars with non “factory” clips, paint, and parts.

When the Tesla road service guy arrives Tuesday morning to (hopefully under warranty?) tighten/fix my rear tail light that is ready to fall off by itself, I will try to remember to ask him what the Tesla stock number is for the Tesla mud flap expanding retention clips. I would want to have a small quantity of them handy.

So in inspecting my mudflaps and getting one back on, I have noticed the amazing amount of crud stuck to them and deflected that never made it to the sides of my white car. In the 5 months I've had the thing, and in only 2,000 miles, the amount of road tar alone that was caught is amazing. And I don't even remember driving over any roads that were that much under repair. Anyone that says model Y's don't need front mud flaps is kidding themselves.

Reactions: Noflash
Re: ^...

Road service happened a couple days ago. Went well. He was there to tighten a very loose and about-to-fall off right rear side tail light. He ripped off 5 or 6 interior panels out from the back of my Y with his hands (no pry tools!) and tightened (read - bent back) one plastic clip that apparently holds the tail light on. No metal screws are used to attach them! That operation and the reassembly took about two minutes. His fast skill at this tells me that this QC fix must happen often enough.

Now, about the flaps. He replaced my flap that had fallen off, and used two new expander clips. I was able to keep the old flap, but sans the old clips, sadly, because I wanted to have some of those in reserve for the next time one goes missing. Next, I asked if there is a Tesla part number for the expander clips. No. The one and only part number is for the entire set, which includes clips. They are not available separately. Also, these clips are not used anywhere else in the Tesla world, according to the service tech.

So if anyone can find where to buy these things, and can confirm they are 100% identical to the OEM Tesla mud flap clips, please post where they can be purchaesed from.

Re: ^...

Road service happened a couple days ago. Went well. He was there to tighten a very loose and about-to-fall off right rear side tail light. He ripped off 5 or 6 interior panels out from the back of my Y with his hands (no pry tools!) and tightened (read - bent back) one plastic clip that apparently holds the tail light on. No metal screws are used to attach them! That operation and the reassembly took about two minutes. His fast skill at this tells me that this QC fix must happen often enough.

Now, about the flaps. He replaced my flap that had fallen off, and used two new expander clips. I was able to keep the old flap, but sans the old clips, sadly, because I wanted to have some of those in reserve for the next time one goes missing. Next, I asked if there is a Tesla part number for the expander clips. No. The one and only part number is for the entire set, which includes clips. They are not available separately. Also, these clips are not used anywhere else in the Tesla world, according to the service tech.

So if anyone can find where to buy these things, and can confirm they are 100% identical to the OEM Tesla mud flap clips, please post where they can be purchaesed from.
Pushpin Pop Rivets for Tesla Body Trim, Mud Flaps (Qty. 4-pc)