Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update 2018.5.377 ec8b took 12 hours to complete and road service to wake up Model X ! It completely shutdown, tech folks could not wake it. Road service opened trap door in grill ,pull two strings, popped open Frunk, popped of battery cover and put jump start cables on it, it woke instantly. Had to reboot touch screen. Got new Navigation updates and new warning for hands on wheel while on AP.

BOTTOM - make sure u have strong internet signal when doing software update. Service said seen this before. My EV was 99% downloaded when system went to sleep. This happened in the parking garage of a high rise. All cement!

Huh. We've always been told that you don't get notified until the car does a complete download and verifies the package, so I would have thought that cell signal during the update itself was irrelevant.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Reactions: DarrenK
Very informative. I had always thought that the new firmware was already 100% downloaded before you got the "Install" message. Didn't realize it was not downloaded and/or only partially downloaded.

For a long time, I would only run updates at home, backed into my driveway (not in the garage) in case something like this ever happened. I figured at least a tow truck would have less trouble than pulling me out of the garage backwards!

Those Tesla road guys had that X awake in 5 minutes! I was worried about flat bedding my EV, I’m in a parking garage, flat bed wouldn’t fit in garage let alone with car loaded on back. They def knew their business!

I put an access point in my garage because the house signal was pretty weak. I recently replaced a switch in my server rack and forget to hook up the garage AP on the patch panel. I didn't find all this out until this same update failed on my X. It didn't brick my car like yours but it did leave it in a weird state. Center panel was dead. Cluster was missing odometer and temp gauge. Couldn't get the charge port to open and my rear tail lights were on.

I did the four finger reboot twice and that fixed it. Now though I have a persisitent "failed to update. contact service center" on my cluster.

talked to support and they said they'd push the update again. The woman on the phone said it failed due to a firmware version mismatch. Seems odd.

Very informative. I had always thought that the new firmware was already 100% downloaded before you got the "Install" message. Didn't realize it was not downloaded and/or only partially downloaded.

For a long time, I would only run updates at home, backed into my driveway (not in the garage) in case something like this ever happened. I figured at least a tow truck would have less trouble than pulling me out of the garage backwards!

It is fully downloaded when you get the option to install.

I suspect if there's no cell connection, then it's so much harder for the Tesla to wake/fix the car over the air.
The whole "downloaded 99%" excuse sounds like BS to me. And "went to sleep" is double BS because in the middle of update nothing goes to sleep unless there's an update bug - the updater logic just prevents car sleep altogether.