Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Used Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all. Just joined recently and wanted to say I been searching for a model x since beginning of the year and just put a deposit down on a 2016 MX 90D with AP2 and it comes with 4 year warranty which private seller can’t ever beat. Buying on Tesla site really gives you the assurance since after looking at some private sellers they seem to be not realistic about the prices and majority are asking way above what Tesla used offers and that’s without warranty! I think right now the prices have really bottomed on the 2016 MX. You can get a 100k msrp for 60k right now and that’s in 3 years only. Can’t wait to join the club.

Reactions: IdaX and Hebert
Hello to all. Just joined recently and wanted to say I been searching for a model x since beginning of the year and just put a deposit down on a 2016 MX 90D with AP2 and it comes with 4 year warranty which private seller can’t ever beat. Buying on Tesla site really gives you the assurance since after looking at some private sellers they seem to be not realistic about the prices and majority are asking way above what Tesla used offers and that’s without warranty! I think right now the prices have really bottomed on the 2016 MX. You can get a 100k msrp for 60k right now and that’s in 3 years only. Can’t wait to join the club.

What cars cost new is totally meaningless. Always compare to what they cost today.
$85K new is pretty much loaded, Raven Plus Range, free super charging, new tires, 0 degradation and 4 years warranty.

I’m just saying a 2016 MX 90D with 30k miles and AP2 with PUP can be had for 60k right now with 4 year warranty and free supercharging. I see a lot of sellers wanting 60-65k for 2016 MX 75D with AP1 and no PUP no warranty left and no supercharging. I’m sure the experience won’t be ideal but your saving 10-15k off of private seller offers. At the end of the day it’s all used and can’t expect you will get brand new.

I’m just saying a 2016 MX 90D with 30k miles and AP2 with PUP can be had for 60k right now with 4 year warranty and free supercharging. I see a lot of sellers wanting 60-65k for 2016 MX 75D with AP1 and no PUP no warranty left and no supercharging. I’m sure the experience won’t be ideal but your saving 10-15k off of private seller offers. At the end of the day it’s all used and can’t expect you will get brand new.

If you buy from Tesla or Dealer, Free Supercharge has historically been removed. If you buy older cars (with FUSC tied to VIN) from a private party it’s supposed to stick. On newer cars (with FUSC tied to owner) it never transfers. Now Tesla at any time can have a promotion to include it on anything.

I bought a 2017 P100DL Model X on New Years Eve for $85K, includes 4 yr warranty. It was the only one in the country at a Tesla dealer at that age and feature set (mostly wanted the long range). New price today is $106K. New price in 2017 was $165K according to the window sticker. So, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. It's not clear to me whether it has FSD. I was told on the phone that it did, but the window sticker says Enhanced AutoDrive. Hmmm....

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Congrats on the new car! Prices on 90's seem particularly low. I would personally avoid these early Model X with 90 batteries. Search around this forum, and you you will hear about a lot of people w/ issues specific to the 90 battery pack in Model X. The 4 year warrantee is great, but many of the battery issues issues noted on the 90's are not covered, because Tesla is labeling them as "expected and normal" degradation. Do some searches, and you will find a lot of recent threads reporting issues. The X in this timeframe did not have the same degradation warrantee that a new Model 3 gets.

I bought a 2017 P100DL Model X on New Years Eve for $85K, includes 4 yr warranty. It was the only one in the country at a Tesla dealer at that age and feature set (mostly wanted the long range). New price today is $106K. New price in 2017 was $165K according to the window sticker. So, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. It's not clear to me whether it has FSD. I was told on the phone that it did, but the window sticker says Enhanced AutoDrive. Hmmm....

You can log into your web account and hit manage and it will show if it has FSD.

On that year it’s a separate line item.
You should see Enhanced Auto Pilot and another line for FSD.

You should also have the option to buy FSD on the web account and your phone if you don’t have it. I’d highly recommend getting it if you do t have it. Because it’s not a lot if you have EAP and you’ll get HW3 which will improve many things beyond self driving.

Congrats @Cwub ! I just took delivery of a CPO 11/2016 MX AP2.0 MCU1. Only 26k, FSD, Free Supercharging, Free Premium Connectivity, HOV Sticker eligible in CA, HEPA, HiFi, Six Seat, Carbon Fiber.

No complaints here except about the slow/lack of communication throughout the process. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions before you take delivery. My car was local and I did all financing through Tesla with no trade-in, so it was pretty quick (4 days from $100 reservation fee). Granted, I wanted to pick it up same day, so it felt like forever lol.

You can log into your web account and hit manage and it will show if it has FSD.

On that year it’s a separate line item.
You should see Enhanced Auto Pilot and another line for FSD.

You should also have the option to buy FSD on the web account and your phone if you don’t have it. I’d highly recommend getting it if you do t have it. Because it’s not a lot if you have EAP and you’ll get HW3 which will improve many things beyond self driving.

There is a line item about upgrading connectivity, but it errors out and I can't upgrade it. I seem to have all the things that it offers. Maybe I'm in an initial trial period.

Other than that, I only see the Order Agreement document which lists what I purchased. Here's what it says (yes, FSD is listed twice):

Description Price (USD)
Model X
100D Ludicrous Performance
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Pearl White Mul.-Coat Paint
20" Silver Wheels
White Premium White Premium Interior
Carbon Fiber Décor
Black Headliner
Five Seat Interior
Ludicrous Mode
Red Brake Calipers
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Technology Package
Towing Package
Full Self-Driving Capability
Full Self-Driving Capability
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subtotal $81,400
Order Fee $100
Total $81,500

I just pulled the trigger on a P90DL with literally every option except for AP2.0 (I am sure I will be in the minority here). Under $65k. Personally I think the release of the Y is going to increase demand for used X's. Specifically because the Y is going to end up being underwhelming as an "SUV." Right or wrong--many people are looking to the Y as an SUV.

Joelgut-

It only took you 4 days to get the car? That sounds pretty quick to me I been reading everyone saying 1 month+ would be the norm. Is there anything I should look for or inspect during the inspection at delivery?

I just pulled the trigger on a P90DL with literally every option except for AP2.0 (I am sure I will be in the minority here). Under $65k. Personally I think the release of the Y is going to increase demand for used X's. Specifically because the Y is going to end up being underwhelming as an "SUV." Right or wrong--many people are looking to the Y as an SUV.

I think that the Y is supposed to compete more at the Subaru level. But Teslas are smaller all around, I find.

Hmm, I respectfully disagree. When the Model 3 came out, a lot of people sold their Model S to move to a 3. It may be an underwhelming SUV, but it's a killer car in the 'crossover' segment. Pair that with aging MCU's in the 2-3 year old X, older sensors in the 2.0 HP hardware limiting FSD, I think the opposite. I think a lot of people will trade in their 3 year old Model X to get a Y to get new tech, and ditch the falcon wing doors. I personally think we'll see decreased demand for 3-4 year old X (or at least in increased supply of used X).

• Helpful
Joelgut-

It only took you 4 days to get the car? That sounds pretty quick to me I been reading everyone saying 1 month+ would be the norm. Is there anything I should look for or inspect during the inspection at delivery?

Yup, I am in the Bay Area, so the storage facility and delivery facility were in close proximity (Hayward and Fremont). Frankly, I don't know why it took even that long considering the loan was approved and accepted the same day. I shouldn't complain though :)

As far as items to look out for, I think I could have/should have done a much better job on my "walk through". Aside from the obvious road nicks and dings on the paint, particularly on the front bumper, the wheel wells and top of the trunk bumper are other hot spots for abrasions. Inspect the windshield pretty carefully! I'm sure the actual replacement cost is in a forum here somewhere, but my guess is it's pretty costly so you want to be sure it's in pristine condition and/or that there is only minor surface marring that you don't mind. I personally found a couple surface chips that aren't in the driving view and are smaller than a couple mm, but this was after delivery so am a little lucky it wasn't worse. Window seals, particularly around the gullwing doors. Check where the panels meet, it's pretty common in these early models for the paneling not to line up quite right, so you have to accept with some degree of tolerance, but something really obscene could bug me the rest of my ownership of the car. One thing that isn't working correctly on mine that I'm bringing it in for this Friday is the auto-presenting driver door. Might want to turn on that feature and test it out too.

That's about all I could think of from an exterior standpoint. The interior is probably just whatever you're willing to accept as is. You're probably on MCU1/HW2.0 and if you're anything like me, you'll probably opt to pay for the upgrade to MCU2 when it becomes available. Supposedly we'll be able to get HW3.0 for free at some point too.

If I think of anything else, I'll reply here. Hope this helps!

I think that the Y is supposed to compete more at the Subaru level. But Teslas are smaller all around, I find.

Which is sort of my point...is there much overlap between the Subaru market and the MX market? Doubtful. But it will get more "laypeople" interested in Tesla..and specifically around SUVs I believe since there is so much chatter comparing the Y to the X.

Obviously I have yet to sit inside a MY but its clear to me that it doesn't compare to an MX on any level. Which I think is going to be very surprising for a lot of people who don't spend time with resources such as TMC. For example, look at all the recent hoopla around the picture of the guy standing next to the Y and then the X. Twitter is ablaze with people talking about how "omg they are basically the same height, probably just as roomy." etc..

Hmm, I respectfully disagree. When the Model 3 came out, a lot of people sold their Model S to move to a 3. It may be an underwhelming SUV, but it's a killer car in the 'crossover' segment. Pair that with aging MCU's in the 2-3 year old X, older sensors in the 2.0 HP hardware limiting FSD, I think the opposite. I think a lot of people will trade in their 3 year old Model X to get a Y to get new tech, and ditch the falcon wing doors. I personally think we'll see decreased demand for 3-4 year old X (or at least in increased supply of used X).

Did "a lot" of people sell their MS for M3? I mean I don't know if that really happened. BIG difference between an S and a 3..two different target markets. I mean I just never really saw that happen on the scale that I periodically hear people mention---but of course could be wrong.

With the new MCU upgrade pathway your point on aging MCUs is moot--and also 2.0 hardware is not only widely available now on used X's if you look at ev-cpo its actually the majority configuration (2.0+)

I mean, I just don't see how a person would go from an X to a Y. If you come across someone saying so, I'd love to hear their explanation; perhaps I am missing something.

Which is sort of my point...is there much overlap between the Subaru market and the MX market? Doubtful. But it will get more "laypeople" interested in Tesla..and specifically around SUVs I believe since there is so much chatter comparing the Y to the X.

Obviously I have yet to sit inside a MY but its clear to me that it doesn't compare to an MX on any level. Which I think is going to be very surprising for a lot of people who don't spend time with resources such as TMC. For example, look at all the recent hoopla around the picture of the guy standing next to the Y and then the X. Twitter is ablaze with people talking about how "omg they are basically the same height, probably just as roomy." etc..

REALLY?!? Are they *blind*?!? I saw that post, I thot there was a huge difference. I don't think I would be nearly as comfortable in a Y as the X, not to mention the huge difference in storage space. I was given an S by the SC for a day. That really sucked.