Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Adjustable Camber arms to reduce rear tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow why don’t they fix it.
Because they don't have to buy tires? Camber is not excessive at Medium height but then Tesla made Low the default to try and preserve half shafts (X suspension was designed for the S when it was RWD only so the front motor is a compromise and puts extra stress on the half shafts at higher suspension settings and X is taller than S). Because of the way the suspension was designed, camber gets worse as suspension lowers. I got exactly 20,272 miles out of my first set of Latitude Sport 3s. Fronts are ok so put another pair of the same on the back and expect will need to do all 4 next time.

Also, adding a ton of rear camber is becoming very common as cars become more powerful and people become ever worse drivers. Extra rear camber is added to reduce lift-throttle oversteer. What happens are poorly trained/idiot drivers get into a corner too hot. They get scared and lift their foot off the throttle. Weight transfer then causes the rear end to break loose and spin the car. Adding extra rear camber gives you a bit more margin before the rear comes around. Start looking at the rear wheels of other vehicles as you drive around. You will notice nearly all of the late-model vehicles have visible camber in the rear.

Reactions: hydro
Because they don't have to buy tires? Camber is not excessive at Medium height but then Tesla made Low the default to try and preserve half shafts (X suspension was designed for the S when it was RWD only so the front motor is a compromise and puts extra stress on the half shafts at higher suspension settings and X is taller than S). Because of the way the suspension was designed, camber gets worse as suspension lowers. I got exactly 20,272 miles out of my first set of Latitude Sport 3s. Fronts are ok so put another pair of the same on the back and expect will need to do all 4 next time.

Also, adding a ton of rear camber is becoming very common as cars become more powerful and people become ever worse drivers. Extra rear camber is added to reduce lift-throttle oversteer. What happens are poorly trained/idiot drivers get into a corner too hot. They get scared and lift their foot off the throttle. Weight transfer then causes the rear end to break loose and spin the car. Adding extra rear camber gives you a bit more margin before the rear comes around. Start looking at the rear wheels of other vehicles as you drive around. You will notice nearly all of the late-model vehicles have visible camber in the rear.
Yeah just seems odd as the newer refresh models now have adjustable toe links but still have fixed camber arms.

Just strange to have to swap camber arms on an $86+k car out of the gate.

Reactions: Mike7564
They have *some* adjustment but they are not fully adjustable.
Where did you get this info from that they are not fully adjustable? Per N2ITIVE the stock toe arms of the new X are adjustable and can meet their alignment specs. They dont even make adjustable toe arms for the new S/X. The older models were literally fixed arms.

New
updatedtoearm.png

Old
Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 9.11.21 PM.png

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Where did you get this info from that they are not fully adjustable? Per N2ITIVE the stock toe arms of the new X are adjustable and can meet their alignment specs. They dont even make adjustable toe arms for the new S/X. The older models were literally fixed arms.

New
View attachment 973928

Old
View attachment 973927

Maybe I should have said, "amount of adjustment from the factory"

The original toe arms (and the camber for that matter) were "technically" adjustable, even as they were fixed length arms as pictured. But they had eccentric bolts on the body end which allowed for SOME adjustment. Was it enough or good? No, not really - which is why these kits exist.

I'd suspect the new setups are just "better" while still having eccentric bolts and maybe a little closer to a reasonable setting.

The original toe arms (and the camber for that matter) were "technically" adjustable, even as they were fixed length arms as pictured. But they had eccentric bolts on the body end which allowed for SOME adjustment. Was it enough or good? No, not really - which is why these kits exist.

I'd suspect the new setups are just "better" while still having eccentric bolts and maybe a little closer to a reasonable setting.
The camber arms have never been with eccentric bolts, I am quite sure. May be the the very earliest.

No worries. In the rear on my 2014 and 2013 model S, both of them had the eccentric bolts. It was a royal pain in the butt changing the front air shock because the bolts were facing the wrong direction. But the rear were easy.

I don’t know about the rear of 2016 model X because it already had adjustable camber arms in the back when I bought it.

Seeing tons of the camber discussion on the X. I recently picked up a 2023 X LR wondering if this issue is fixed or do I need to fork some $$ to get the n2itive kit to avoid tire wears?

I previous had Model 3P 18' and didn't realize the alignment were off and all 4 tires had inner tire wears. Lesson learned I want to make sure this family hauler is gonna be long lasting (or as long as possible).

Seeing tons of the camber discussion on the X. I recently picked up a 2023 X LR wondering if this issue is fixed or do I need to fork some $$ to get the n2itive kit to avoid tire wears?

I previous had Model 3P 18' and didn't realize the alignment were off and all 4 tires had inner tire wears. Lesson learned I want to make sure this family hauler is gonna be long lasting (or as long as possible).

Yes

Probably yes - at the same time, think about better / different tires. Look at the treadwear numbers for the tires, higher is longer lasting. The stock tires likely are Continental tires or Pirelli with a treadwear number around 280. These will last (if you are lucky) maybe 20k miles.

Michelin Crossclimate2 tires have a treadwear number 660 IIRC - and that will be good for a 60k mile warranty and much improved grip in any kind of wet conditions. They are amazing tires.

Reactions: hydro
Probably yes - at the same time, think about better / different tires. Look at the treadwear numbers for the tires, higher is longer lasting. The stock tires likely are Continental tires or Pirelli with a treadwear number around 280. These will last (if you are lucky) maybe 20k miles.

Michelin Crossclimate2 tires have a treadwear number 660 IIRC - and that will be good for a 60k mile warranty and much improved grip in any kind of wet conditions. They are amazing tires.
60k warranty only applies if the tires are rotated and will receipts required that show when the tires were rotated. Don’t let the mileage warranty fool you. It 50% of warranty would apply to Tesla staggered set up.

Reactions: NJturtlePower