Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a related note (sliding back off topic), Tesla also need to take care with the height. Model S height is 1435mm. Anything over 1800mm just won't fit in most car parks here.
Bottom line is that I know Americans are fond of large cars, but if Tesla want to sell cars outside America they need to curb their enthusiasm.

Then you can wait for the Model 3 which will be 20% smaller and should meet your requirements easily, I hope.

Tesla got back to me wrt my request.

They told me

- probably too late to change a thing
- they will forward my request anyway
- MX has mirrors

I am surprised that the MX on the web site still has the cameras, setting an expectation that will not be met.

We will know soon (I have reservation #85 in Europe, so probably within the first week worth of production that finds its way to Europe).

Tesla got back to me wrt my request.

They told me

- probably too late to change a thing
- they will forward my request anyway
- MX has mirrors

I am surprised that the MX on the web site still has the cameras, setting an expectation that will not be met.

We will know soon (I have reservation #85 in Europe, so probably within the first week worth of production that finds its way to Europe).

Has mirrors, but perhaps has the option to NOT have them as well

The wide width is also a consideration for big cities in the USA. Many people live/work in areas where "Compact" parking spaces are the norm. Personally, the width of S & X are one of the reasons why I will wait for Model 3 before considering purchase of a new Tesla.

To get back on topic, the Model S seems to be 1964mm with mirrors folded and 2189mm with mirrors extended (from the Tesla specs page).

For the Hong Kong market (where I live), that is the absolute maximum I could accept. The Model S barely fits in parking spaces as it is - if the Model X is any wider, it is just not going to sell.

On a related note (sliding back off topic), Tesla also need to take care with the height. Model S height is 1435mm. Anything over 1800mm just won't fit in most car parks here.

Bottom line is that I know Americans are fond of large cars, but if Tesla want to sell cars outside America they need to curb their enthusiasm.

Indeed, size / width is a crucial factor, at least in Europe, and a "garage test" showed that a model X would have been too large (see
, and I ordered a Model S). Besides, even on motorways (Autobahn), construction site lanes on the left often do not allow cars that are wider than 2 meters. So both S and X have to stay on the right lane, together with trucks and lorries.