Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with Hand Controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I thought I would share my Tesla experience as someone who has used a wheelchair since age 4. I had a lot of trouble finding resources online to find out if a model x could be made accessible for me so I thought I’d share that yes it most definitely is!

I have been a big fan of Tesla for a while and when the model x was announced I had joked with my wife that it would be our next car. I am 33 and have been driving cars with hand controls since I was 16, but obviously never an electric vehicle. So after a few years and we needed to start looking for a new car, I started to wonder if the X was a possibility. I had seen a couple (like literally 2) model S’ online that had been adapted with hand controls. So I figured it had to be possible and took a leap of faith, and placed my order back in June.

I live in the Raleigh NC area and I started to call hand control install places right after placing the order to see how they felt about working on a Tesla. One place said they would do some research and get back to. Never heard from them again. The other installer however didn’t bat an eye.

I am now a week into driving it and can’t wipe the smile off my face each time I push down the accelerator. I’ve included a few pictures of the car and controls. I am beyond happy with how the controls came out. Jack over at Stall Medical did an amazing job and really worked with me to have them set up exactly how I like them. By far the cleanest set of controls I’ve ever had installed!

I hope this helps any prospective Tesla buyers that may need the use of hand controls, it is possible!

4C813000-710E-4BAC-9915-9BDC77373B4E.jpeg
77C227B3-B78E-4949-85C8-1EEF8B00CF3B.jpeg
158A72C9-1926-41A0-9C44-739D7C9AC8C7.jpeg
CEE4B307-FE9B-4CBF-B481-720AFC60778E.jpeg
272E5813-80AC-4E57-8DFD-45AA141B2605.jpeg
14F19CDD-B810-4509-84CE-89F3B6F1B942.jpeg
4024A674-3B3B-4D43-8691-B3E9A080A9E2.jpeg

Because of TACC, AutoPilot and regen breaking, it should be easier to drive with hand controls in a Tesla than other vehicles.

And as EAP/FSD improve, it should get even better...

Also with the Falcon Wing Doors, wonder if there's enough room for aftermarket modifications like has been done to minivans to add a ramp to one of the FWD's, remove seats, and make it possible for someone to use a wheelchair or scooter to enter/leave a Model X...

Hey I really love your post! Could you tell me if the company you worked with was in NC? I am a para and looking for a company that will do the same for me. If you could refer me to the company that did yours I might just take my car there once its delivered. Thank you again for the great post!

Reactions: Fiddler
Hey everyone, I thought I would share my Tesla experience as someone who has used a wheelchair since age 4. I had a lot of trouble finding resources online to find out if a model x could be made accessible for me so I thought I’d share that yes it most definitely is!

I have been a big fan of Tesla for a while and when the model x was announced I had joked with my wife that it would be our next car. I am 33 and have been driving cars with hand controls since I was 16, but obviously never an electric vehicle. So after a few years and we needed to start looking for a new car, I started to wonder if the X was a possibility. I had seen a couple (like literally 2) model S’ online that had been adapted with hand controls. So I figured it had to be possible and took a leap of faith, and placed my order back in June.

I live in the Raleigh NC area and I started to call hand control install places right after placing the order to see how they felt about working on a Tesla. One place said they would do some research and get back to. Never heard from them again. The other installer however didn’t bat an eye.

I am now a week into driving it and can’t wipe the smile off my face each time I push down the accelerator. I’ve included a few pictures of the car and controls. I am beyond happy with how the controls came out. Jack over at Stall Medical did an amazing job and really worked with me to have them set up exactly how I like them. By far the cleanest set of controls I’ve ever had installed!

I hope this helps any prospective Tesla buyers that may need the use of hand controls, it is possible!

View attachment 329055 View attachment 329056 View attachment 329058 View attachment 329060 View attachment 329061 View attachment 329062 View attachment 329063

Could you share the company that did yours?!

Could you share the company that did yours?!

The name of the company I used was “Stalls Medical and Adaptive Vans”. They are based out of Cary, NC. When calling ask for Jack. He is the one who did my install, which was the best I’ve ever seen. He’s an awesome guy who loves cars and will do everything he can to make this a nice seamless install. He did not have to make any cuts under the steering wheel which is quite rare for an installer of hand controls. He usually books a few weeks out so make sure you call before delivery to get your appointment set. Hope you enjoy the new car as much as I have!

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler and Bogobec
Great to know. Could you tell me what type or brand of hand controls you are using? Is it electronic or manual? Also, how do you handle your wheelchair? Are you able to pick it up and put it in the front passenger seat? I'm a T6 and have to give up my model S, but am on the verge of purchasing a new X because it looks like I should be able to get my w/c in the front seat. Thanks.

Great to know. Could you tell me what type or brand of hand controls you are using? Is it electronic or manual? Also, how do you handle your wheelchair? Are you able to pick it up and put it in the front passenger seat? I'm a T6 and have to give up my model S, but am on the verge of purchasing a new X because it looks like I should be able to get my w/c in the front seat. Thanks.

This video shows how to get into Model X without the aid of the machine. It's quite a workout!

It also shows a Hand Driving setup:

upload_2019-10-19_20-42-35-png.468062

If you have money for the wheelchair robot:

There's a Model S demo video for Paravan Robot 3000 which should be installable to other cars as well: