Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y 20" vs 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy choice, the 19's. They are lighter, ride quality is better, tires are cheaper to replace, and as mentioned, pothole resistance is definitely better. Best decision I made when buying our Y. The money we saved went toward acceleration boost. Made it even easier to keep the 19's...

19 inch and buy the Rimitrex Latimers
Sorry to be that guy but they’re called Laminar Black. Based on recommendations from someone else on here I have them ordered from the US via myus.com for shipping. About £230 from Rimetrix plus the shipping cost and taxes (yet to find out exactly what this will be). The added bonus appears to be that they will of course save the originals from curb rash too.

• Funny
Reactions: Casss
Sorry to be that guy but they’re called Laminar Black. Based on recommendations from someone else on here I have them ordered from the US via myus.com for shipping. About £230 from Rimetrix plus the shipping cost and taxes (yet to find out exactly what this will be). The added bonus appears to be that they will of course save the originals from curb rash too.
Folks, I had asked about Laminars to Tameautumn ( member) is response was as follows:

using myus.com it came to $289 + $214 Shipping& Taxes & Duty .. so in total has been £370 .. but a lot easier to swallow than £2K for the 20" wheels which I will scrape in 1 day
unquote.

Hope this helps .

Reactions: gorghimself
Folks, I had asked about Laminars to Tameautumn ( member) is response was as follows:

using myus.com it came to $289 + $214 Shipping& Taxes & Duty .. so in total has been £370 .. but a lot easier to swallow than £2K for the 20" wheels which I will scrape in 1 day
unquote.

Hope this helps .
Just doing a search - can you walk me through the myus.com process please? Rimetrix now ship direct to the with the total cost being $424 ex import costs. thanks.

Personally, love the look of the 20s although admit now I could have gone for 19s with different covers maybe. Not concerned about ride as this will be taking over daily duties from a Golf R and the test drive I did on 19s had a softer feeling ride than that - if the 20s end up being similar it'll be fine for me.

I find the M3 much tighter / nimble than the MY - feels more like a hot hatch to me. I find the MY very tall, by comparison. If I was choosing 20" over 19" for handling I think I'd be preferring the M3. But the MY has hatchback and tow-bar option.

Might be that my MY is out of whack though ...

Yea - while the Y is taking over daily duties the Golf R will still be providing weekend enjoyment! So in reality the Y isn't needed as a replacement for the R - it's a replacement for the family Tiguan so should be great in comparison to that.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I have the 20's. They look a tonne better (IMO) and the ride is absolutely fine, no noticeable difference to the test drive ride quality I had on 19's.
I think a load of this 'stiff ride' comment comes from professional journalists who have to think of some comment to make on all the cars they review other than 'it's absolutely fine' I would imagine most non-professional drivers/car journalists wouldn't be able to tell the difference.