Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2nd Row Leg Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I pulled the trigger and placed an order for a Y. When I was in the Tesla store, I sat in every seat in the Model 3, loved the front, but didn't care for the rear seat legroom. I'm 6'1", slim and have long legs. Is the consensus of rumors and speculation that the Y will gain some legroom in the 2nd row (I am assuming the 5 seat, not the 7 seat configuration)? I know the dimensions are increasing by a few inches in length but wonder if that is mainly for cargo and the ability to add a 3rd row of seats.

I saw the write up of the person that sat in the 2nd row, TMC Member Reviews Model Y Rear Seat - Tesla Motors Club, but it didn't really concentrate on legroom and just said it felt "roomier".

Having the passengers in the back be comfortable is important to me so this could be the one thing the causes me to cancel my order and instead go with the other option I was considering, a used Model S. I do prefer the new tech and warranty, which is why I went with a reservation for the Y for now.

This is one of my concerns as well...especially the width and being able to fit 3 adults or 3 booster seats across the 2nd row. This would be a deal breaker in making this our family (of 4) car.

Last year, when Musk first started talking about the Model Y, he compared the size to a grand Cherokee. Which is what we currently use as a family vehicle and what I would like to replace in a few years with a Model Y. If it isn't as comfortable as the Grand Cherokee then unfortunately I will have to look elsewhere for a replacement and may have to give up on getting an EV...at least for now.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

5'10 and it seemed bigger than a 3. The higher seat helps too. Felt luxurious compared to the 3 which is OK but not great.

Thanks for the quick reply. Thinking about it, that does make sense. Even if the horizontal distance between the seats is the same by being higher up, you have a few more inches to stretch your legs so your knees don't feel like they are in your chest.

I personally found the 3 back seats to be quite cramped but I am 6'1" and have long legs and arms. The S back seat felt fine to me. I can't wait to track down someone that gets one of the early Y deliveries and sit in one for myself.

T
Last year, when Musk first started talking about the Model Y, he compared the size to a grand Cherokee. Which is what we currently use as a family vehicle and what I would like to replace in a few years with a Model Y. .

I missed this comparison. That would be a great size if it is comparable to a Grand Cherokee. I have been shopping used Model X's like crazy because I'm afraid the Model Y will be to small.

I missed this comparison. That would be a great size if it is comparable to a Grand Cherokee. I have been shopping used Model X's like crazy because I'm afraid the Model Y will be to small.

Tesla Unveils Mid-Size SUV: Model Y

“Musk revealed that the Model Y had 66 cubic feet of cargo space, comparable to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. He said the Y would have the functionality of an SUV, but will ride like a sports car.”

Not sure if musk specifically made that comparison or if the writer added that. Saw it written like this in a bunch of articles.

I have the same concern of the y being too small. The X is too big and expensive for me. I love my grand cherokee, especially the size.

Reactions: Vjacobs84
If you are happy with a GC size then I expect you will happy with the Y. I think the GC is the best of the dino burners and that the Y will sell like hot cakes, as they say.

I hope you are right. The Jeep GC is 76” wide and looks like the Y will only be 73”. Hope this doesn’t make it too cramped on the back. I love my GC but would love to find an EV that that would replace it.

Reactions: Vjacobs84
actual space inside will be more narrow that we think, if you look at Y direct from behind, you will notice that the main body is curved inward on upper part, by quite a bit, so we loss more interior space to this curvature. if you put a Thule roof box on top of that', Y will pretty much look like a light tank come out from WWII. :D

• Funny
Reactions: iustin
Speaking of roof racks, I would only need one for ski's unless the middle 2nd row seat can fold down.

Has anyone noticed in the configurator that if you specify the white interior and expand the details you see this:
"Three independently folding 2nd row seats"
But in the standard black interior, expand the details and it says this instead:
"2nd row seats that fold flat"

I wonder if that means that you get 60/40 with the standard black and three way folding with white.

Electrek has published an article analyzing a new picture that has come out showing a M3 and Y in equal perspective:

“According to Silvern, the roof is 8-9 inches higher on the Model Y than the Model 3, which makes the car easier to get into. So too does the 6-inch difference in door heights, which suggests that the seat will be much higher in the Model Y. The difference between the door height and increased chassis height suggests that the distance between the seat bottom and the Model Y’s floor will be about 4-5 inches, giving more legroom and a more vertical seating position.”

Another Tesla Model Y size comparison shows higher ride height, easier entry - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I recently sat in the Model 3 at the local showroom, and adjusted the driver seat for my height (6’2”). I then got in the back seat behind the driver’s seat to see how much room a passenger would have behind me. The first thing I noticed was that the seat felt very low (or, in other words, the floor felt high—due to the battery I assume). The Model Y should fix that if both the front and rear seats are on risers, I hope.

The other thing I noticed was that my shoes would not fit under the driver’s seat in front of me, basically wedging my shoes into the footwell at an angle (size 11.5 dress shoes for what it’s worth, not Shaq-sized shoes). I am hoping that the Model Y does not have the same issue. Several people in this thread said the 3’s back seat is very comfortable, but I found the low seat height and inability to fit my shoes in the footwell to be pretty uncomfortable. Really hoping the Y addresses all of my concerns.

It would be great if we could see pictures of the rear seats of the Y to get a sense for the legroom...

I recently sat in the Model 3 at the local showroom, and adjusted the driver seat for my height (6’2”). I then got in the back seat behind the driver’s seat to see how much room a passenger would have behind me. The first thing I noticed was that the seat felt very low (or, in other words, the floor felt high—due to the battery I assume). The Model Y should fix that if both the front and rear seats are on risers, I hope.

The other thing I noticed was that my shoes would not fit under the driver’s seat in front of me, basically wedging my shoes into the footwell at an angle (size 11.5 dress shoes for what it’s worth, not Shaq-sized shoes). I am hoping that the Model Y does not have the same issue. Several people in this thread said the 3’s back seat is very comfortable, but I found the low seat height and inability to fit my shoes in the footwell to be pretty uncomfortable. Really hoping the Y addresses all of my concerns.

It would be great if we could see pictures of the rear seats of the Y to get a sense for the legroom...

This was pretty much my exact experience and I'm 6'1". I'm looking forward to finding an early delivery Y to sit in.

This was pretty much my exact experience and I'm 6'1". I'm looking forward to finding an early delivery Y to sit in.
Rereading your earlier posts, I agree, the S felt fine to me (I did the same seat test back-to-back in the showroom with the S then 3). Keep us posted, I’m very curious, too! I work near a showroom so I plan to pop in as soon as I see a Y in there.

Reactions: airbrett