Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 5G wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I purchased the model Y last year, I have always connected to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. I do have an access point right next to the Tesla, but I assume that 5 GHz was never an option. If I scan the area of everyone in the neighbourhood only the 2.4 networks are displayed. Of course my phone and all other devices are able to connect to the 5 GHz.

Just wanted some feedback are you guys able to connect to 5 GHz?

Pro-tip - keep your car and other IOT devices OFF your 5GHz network.

They don't need the speed/bandwidth.
2.4GHz propagates better over long distances.
Reducing congestion from crappy IOT devices on your 5GHz network means the devices that can actually benefit from higher bandwidth will have a better experience.

Mosey Y? :)

The car should be able to connect to 5G. See this section of the manual for details: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-1FE9620C-3D7F-4FD3-BBD9-28DD342AC150.html

(moderator note)

I have no idea what "Mosey Y" means in the thread title, but I am going to assume the OP either fairly drastically mistyped it, or, only slightly mistyped it but the autocorrect on whatever they are posting from changed whatever they typed to "mosey".

Changing "Mosey" to "Model"

(I am exposing my inner geekdom here, but every time I see "mosey" I think:

lets mosey.png

I am able to connect to my home wifi on the 5 GHz network. The key is that your wifi 5 GHz network is using WPA/WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3 security setting and not WPA3 only security setting since the Tesla is not able to connect to WPA3 at this point. Of course you have to make sure your 5 GHz wifi is within wifi range to your Tesla as well.

(moderator note)

I have no idea what "Mosey Y" means in the thread title, but I am going to assume the OP either fairly drastically mistyped it, or, only slightly mistyped it but the autocorrect on whatever they are posting from changed whatever they typed to "mosey".

View attachment 1051736
Brings back memories… especially of a situation where I tried to plan to beat Ruby weapon, only for it to trash my plans at the start… and even though I had given up and left the game to play on its own since I no longer had any control… it actually won for me.

(moderator note)

View attachment 1051736

(moderator note)

View attachment 1051736

(moderator note)

View attachment 1051736
Correct 👍 Ty !

connecting
Since I purchased the model Y last year, I have always connected to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. I do have an access point right next to the Tesla, but I assume that 5 GHz was never an option. If I scan the area of everyone in the neighbourhood only the 2.4 networks are displayed. Of course my phone and all other devices are able to connect to the 5 GHz.

Just wanted some feedback are you guys able to connect to 5 GHz?
Connecting the MY to 2.4 GHz is actually ideal. the car is an IoT device (Internet of Things) and you definitely don't want any IoT to hit your LAN network (laptop, printers, NAS..etc). i have a segregated network at home where all my IoT devices (Roomba, EcoBee, Tesla Wall charger..etc..) all connected to a guest network and they are all on 2.4Ghz and they work just fine. you can however force your tesla to join the 5GHz by default, but you need to disable the 2.4GHz on your router which defeat the purpose of connecting any IoT or far-away devices to your access point.