Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 183xxx VIN with a May build date and I see 330 miles at 100% I even saw 331 briefly when I was testing supercharging although it dropped back down to 330. I'm not sure what size my pack is but based on that video showing 329 max range I think I probably have the bigger pack.
I hope you have the bigger pack because I am hoping the same for me with 184XXX. My car shows that 100% will be 312 miles which is weird and low but I think it is because I have yet to charge to 100% in the month we have owned it. I'll try that this weekend. Thx for your data point.

Bjorn performed some acceleration tests on a M3 LR with 82 kWh battery, but it should be applicable for all MY LR with updated firmware regardless of the battery (original 77 kWh or new 82 kWh).

Acceleration is stable all the way down to ~10% SoC. Some MY owners testing Acceleration Boost have been seeing good times even at low SoC.

I don’t think you need to scan. Just look at your energy chart in the car and multiply the wh/mi on the left by the range estimate right, then divide by the % battery you have at the time. Mine always comes in around the 78,200 to 78,900 range which would be the usable battery for the 82 kWh battery. At first the range showed 328 mi but now shows 326 mi.

I also have the Tessie app currently telling me 78.2 kWh Battery Capacity.

I have a March build, VIN 158XXX.

Reactions: BitJam
I don’t think you need to scan. Just look at your energy chart in the car and multiply the wh/mi on the left by the range estimate right, then divide by the % battery you have at the time. Mine always comes in around the 78,200 to 78,900 range which would be the usable battery for the 82 kWh battery. At first the range showed 328 mi but now shows 326 mi.

I also have the Tessie app currently telling me 78.2 kWh Battery Capacity.

I have a March build, VIN 158XXX.
My MY has been showing 528 to 530 KM estimation as full range (which translate to 328 mi to 329.3 mi) since I took the delivery over a month ago. It has a 06/21 build date and 203xxx VIN. I guess there is a very high probability that my MY has the 82 kWh battery pack.

So if we have the 82kw”h” battery, does that mean we can charge at 100% since we still will have left over 10% and it won’t degrade the battery? Does Tesla cap the charging in some way? If not, I can get the entire 303 miles in my performance model?
Umm, you can always charge to 100%. Not sure where you're getting the left over 10% from. Battery degradation, to some degree, is totally normal.

Thanks. I thought we should not charge more than 90% to prolong battery health.
According to the manual, you should charge to 80% - 90% for daily use and only charge higher than that for a trip. And not let the car sit at 100% for too long. But you can absolutely charge to 100%. There are folks who do that regularly. And only charging to 80 - 90% isn't necessarily going to prevent battery degradation. That's just normal for all batteries.

Does the 82 kWh battery mean longer range or potential in the future? I was considering releasing the hold on a MY and was going to start researching if I should release it now or wait a couple of months (I don't need the tax credit, but it would be nice and I don't need a new car now but the longer I wait, the more the trade in goes down and the more I spend on gas).

Does the 82 kWh battery mean longer range or potential in the future? I was considering releasing the hold on a MY and was going to start researching if I should release it now or wait a couple of months (I don't need the tax credit, but it would be nice and I don't need a new car now but the longer I wait, the more the trade in goes down and the more I spend on gas).
Logically, it should, right? The problem is that because Tesla makes these running changes, there probably wouldn't be a new EPA rating (which is really the only way we have to compare cars, regardless of whether the EPA rating is 'accurate' or not). But you'd think that increasing the pack size by almost 7%, you should get 7% more range, so the EPA rating would go from 326 miles to around 348 miles. But I think the only way we will know is when folks with the larger battery pack start reporting in...

Reactions: Viv1984
increasing the pack size by almost 7%, you should get 7% more range
The reality is probably more complicated than that. If the larger battery pack achieves the same weight as the old, smaller pack (due to technology advancement), the equation would be this simple. Otherwise we need to factor in the extra weight introduced by the larger battery pack, and the gain would be less than 7%.