Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y build quality with photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first tesla and I'm very disappointed. I traded in a bmw m4 for this. I love how it drives but the build quality is atrocious. First the rear hatch doesn't latch. The hatch operates but won't fully close unless you push on it. One rim was scratched, there is peeling chipped paint, both rear blacked out door handles have paint chips, the rear lower plastic has paint overspray on it, the roof glass glue is bubbling up on both sides, and there is a dent in the metal over the b pillar on the passenger side, the interior plastics on the dash and steering wheel have scratches, the drivers seat creaks over bumps, turns, or acceleration. My 4 year old bmw was in better condition than this "new" car.
20200328_145535.jpg

Attachments

• 20200328_145043.jpg
    20200328_145043.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 307
  • 20200328_110704.jpg
    20200328_110704.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 20200328_145212.jpg
    20200328_145212.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200328_145616.jpg
    20200328_145616.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200328_124418.jpg
    20200328_124418.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 20200328_145330.jpg
    20200328_145330.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200328_145030.jpg
    20200328_145030.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 20200328_145324.jpg
    20200328_145324.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 310
Honestly, I think Tesla's strategy right now is to deliver cars and touch them up afterwards. It seems most of your issues are cosmetic and can be remedied. It's not a great strategy, but given the circumstances, they're trying to do their end of qtr push. I'm also sure they rushed some cars out of the factory before the shut down.

Yeah, mine was delivered last Friday. My main issue was the rear speakers didn't work(it has since been fixed) and alignment issue. They told me they can't do the alignment right now due to a missing part on their machine? I will have to schedule it maybe in a week.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I sorry your Model Y was in such bad shape. Hopefully all the issues are all fixable at the service center.

It makes me appreciate mine all the more. It's not perfect, but far fewer issue, all fairly easily adjustable/correctable and I can live with them until Tesla Service can fix them.

Reactions: SmartElectric
For the black plastic piece, is it possible it's a car care product (like polish or wax) that's caught in the textured part ? I've seen some people be a little sloppy and get polish in the texture and when it's wiped off, it looks similar to the pic. I hope the SC will fix all the issues for you.

I feel your pain though. My Model 3 had to have almost half the car resprayed because of paint defects that were present on delivery..

Really sad to see them delivering cars like this. I’ve been waiting to get my performance with white interior and still waiting. I too would be very disappointed with this delivery. Maybe I’m lucky. You think these are cars they were trying to get delivered after they were told to shut down?

For the black plastic piece, is it possible it's a car care product (like polish or wax) that's caught in the textured part ? I've seen some people be a little sloppy and get polish in the texture and when it's wiped off, it looks similar to the pic. I hope the SC will fix all the issues for you.

I feel your pain though. My Model 3 had to have almost half the car resprayed because of paint defects that were present on delivery..

I tried back to black restorer and some scrubbing. No change its paint stuck in the dimples in the plastic after someone wiped off a drip/spill.

This is my first tesla and I'm very disappointed. I traded in a bmw m4 for this. I love how it drives but the build quality is atrocious. First the rear hatch doesn't latch. The hatch operates but won't fully close unless you push on it. One rim was scratched, there is peeling chipped paint, both rear blacked out door handles have paint chips, the rear lower plastic has paint overspray on it, the roof glass glue is bubbling up on both sides, and there is a dent in the metal over the b pillar on the passenger side, the interior plastics on the dash and steering wheel have scratches, the drivers seat creaks over bumps, turns, or acceleration. My 4 year old bmw was in better condition than this "new" car.

This is why I am postponing my Y delivery. I had a bad experience in ordering my Model X, which ended up in me canceling the order. We ordered a Y for my wife last year and, until Saturday, hadn't heard a whisper from Tesla. Since Saturday - I've been inundated with calls and texts trying to get me to hurry up and take delivery. I've seen enough complaints about initial build quality that I'm holding off.

Like some - I am really surprised about the build quality of these cars. Tesla has been at this for some time - and these issues are simple QC issues - not design or part manufacturing issues. They simply aren't taking the time (or exercising requisite skill) to produce a quality product. Not screwing up the paint, scratching rims, squeezing out weatherstripping, body panel alignment issues, etc. are quality control issues.

The problem I have is I like the car alot. If they dont fix my concerns I can't return it and get one that's right without waiting a year to reorder.

The thing is fun to drive, looks good, and fits my dog. Something the M4 did not do well.

Surprised you took delivery, those are pretty glaring and IMO unacceptable on any new car. You must've REALLY wanted it. I've learned my lesson with delivery at tesla - if it doesn't feel right, walk away. Do NOT accept delivery. Paint issues on a model 3 I had ordered ate me alive (I couldn't stop staring at them and cursing) and I had to return the car.

Welcome to the club though, its almost crazy how much you're paying for software / tech vs build quality. I hate that we have to excuse tesla for these things right now. There's just no other competitor. All that said with 22k miles, my model 3 is rattle free, drives like new - but still has some cheap BS like wind noise, doors closing cheaper than a $20k corolla, etc

I'm also used to german cars and its tough to wrap your head around how much the tesla costs, yet how cheap some stuff is.