Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fremont build, "white noise" while cruising on the highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my car yesterday, White on White LR Fremont build.
Couple things I noticed: dash was not snapped in (I snapped it in during my inspection), drivers side rear seat wouldn't recline all the way. The tech came out and cycled it back n forth and it eventually would engage in the last notch. Maybe some slight fitment issues like the hood is a little bit lower than the fenders on both sides (its even), the rear lights on the hatch are slightly misaligned but panel gaps looked pretty even. Paint quality looked fine but there is a slight difference in shade between the bumpers and body. The seam on the steering wheel was open in multiple places. I skimmed through the checklist and only looked at the big items. I spent maybe 30mins looking over the car.

While driving home I noticed above 55mph there is this intermittent "white noise" is the best way I can describe it. Its like that hiss you hear at the beginning of a CD track before music plays. I thought it was coming from the sound system so i turned it off, tried different sources, same result. As I got off the interstate and slowed down to residential speeds the noise went away. A few acceleration/deceleration and it'd come back as speed increased but went away as speed decreased. Parked in the garage at home and there is no noise, perfectly silent.

I submitted a service request today at 50miles for this and the steering wheel. Just curious if others have experienced this noise and if you've had luck getting it resolved. The 3 MY's I've driven prior to taking delivery haven't had this sound.

Reactions: SLN16
Maybe these are related?

While driving home I noticed above 55mph there is this intermittent "white noise" is the best way I can describe it. Its like that hiss you hear at the beginning of a CD track before music plays. I thought it was coming from the sound system so i turned it off, tried different sources, same result. As I got off the interstate and slowed down to residential speeds the noise went away. A few acceleration/deceleration and it'd come back as speed increased but went away as speed decreased. Parked in the garage at home and there is no noise, perfectly silent.

I submitted a service request today at 50miles for this and the steering wheel. Just curious if others have experienced this noise and if you've had luck getting it resolved. The 3 MY's I've driven prior to taking delivery haven't had this sound.
For sure check out the thread here. Lots of people have been having that same issue each with their own degree of success (or frustration) in trying to get this fixed.

Following this issue for a while, it sounds like Tesla Engineering is aware of the problem and are actively looking into why it's happening. But there isn't an official service bulletin or guidance from Tesla yet on how to resolve it.

I'm glad that you opened up a service request on it. Hopefully the more Tesla sees people having this problem with the vehicles, the more seriously they'll look at this problem and actively work to address it.

Reactions: SLN16
I have this and just had my first appointment to try to get it fixed. They were sympathetic on ride along and told me they'd figure it out. Kept the car ten minutes and just gave it back to me. This is our third Tesla and we're pretty gutted about it.

I have this and just had my first appointment to try to get it fixed. They were sympathetic on ride along and told me they'd figure it out. Kept the car ten minutes and just gave it back to me. This is our third Tesla and we're pretty gutted about it.
I'm hoping that is the case and that this isn't going to be the status quo for them moving forward. I can't imagine that this is acceptable in any fashion.

Honestly, I'd probably have already bought a second Model Y to replace another vehicle if I didn't have this issue with the first one. The fact that the issue exists and there isn't a solid solution to the problem so many months after makes me awfully gun shy of getting another one.

I'm hoping that is the case and that this isn't going to be the status quo for them moving forward. I can't imagine that this is acceptable in any fashion.

Honestly, I'd probably have already bought a second Model Y to replace another vehicle if I didn't have this issue with the first one. The fact that the issue exists and there isn't a solid solution to the problem so many months after makes me awfully gun shy of getting another one.
To clarify, they were sympathetic in person but didn't try to fix it at all. Just ran diagnostic on the HVAC system and said it was fine.

The only fix is a new front drive unit and because that's so expensive, Tesla will fight tooth and nail not to do it. Mine only does it early in the morning when it's cold, which makes it hard to reproduce at the service center. I work at a mechanical prognostics company and most think the sound resembles a bad bearing, though I think it's high pitched enough that it could also be excessive noise from a bad component in the inverter.

We've had two other Model Ys and neither one did this.

I took delivery of my car yesterday, White on White LR Fremont build.
Couple things I noticed: dash was not snapped in (I snapped it in during my inspection), drivers side rear seat wouldn't recline all the way. The tech came out and cycled it back n forth and it eventually would engage in the last notch. Maybe some slight fitment issues like the hood is a little bit lower than the fenders on both sides (its even), the rear lights on the hatch are slightly misaligned but panel gaps looked pretty even. Paint quality looked fine but there is a slight difference in shade between the bumpers and body. The seam on the steering wheel was open in multiple places. I skimmed through the checklist and only looked at the big items. I spent maybe 30mins looking over the car.

Sounds identical to the issue I posted about after my LR delivery in March. The intermittent "white noise", staticky sound like at the beginning of a CD track is the perfect description.

I got my FDU replaced at 300 miles, but the issue remained. For me, there is no temperature dependency like others have posted about. I am at 3k miles now and have been tolerating the issue until I have more confidence on the root cause or until Tesla gets some kind of service bulletin issued. My SC promised to keep working on it if I submit another service request, but I feel like I probably have a limited amount of SC "capital" to work with and don't want to use it up on FDU replacements if those don't fix it.

I am fairly certain that it is some kind of electrical noise. I can somewhat turn it "on" and "off" by playing with the drive pedal to change the load at the relevant speeds.

Reactions: Engi_Nerd