Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Cargo box safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Just took delivery of my Model Y and was planning to put on the Tesla roof racks (which I've got already but unpacked) and have a cargo box on them with about 50 pounds of tools on a daily basis but now I'm worried about thinking the glass will break at some point.
Anyone has insights on whether I should try this?
I’ll assume the tools need to be outside the main cabin or frunk and trunk for reasons.

Good thread here, if you really want roof mount:
Thule Roof Cargo Box Size?

For tools I’d honestly go for the tow hitch and put a cargo box there. Plenty vertical weight and seems more practical for tools - unless maybe you are talking long gardening tools or things with long stems.

Hi everyone,
Just took delivery of my Model Y and was planning to put on the Tesla roof racks (which I've got already but unpacked) and have a cargo box on them with about 50 pounds of tools on a daily basis but now I'm worried about thinking the glass will break at some point.
Anyone has insights on whether I should try this?
Another option would be to have the SC install the roof racks for you. That way, you know it will be done right.

I’ll assume the tools need to be outside the main cabin or frunk and trunk for reasons.

Good thread here, if you really want roof mount:
Thule Roof Cargo Box Size?

For tools I’d honestly go for the tow hitch and put a cargo box there. Plenty vertical weight and seems more practical for tools - unless maybe you are talking long gardening tools or things with long stems.
Another option would be to have the SC install the roof racks for you. That way, you know it will be done right.
Yup , recommended if $50 and the mobile scheduling works out for you.

Really? I’d love to see the data on that. Aerodynamics is a major factor versus weight. I have a trailer for kayaks and other lightweight gear that I used to use for another car. I haven’t taken it out yet with the Y but was looking forward to testing it out. I also have an old school Thule cargo box with exactly the same problem of the vertical distance between the quickgrips being just slightly too short. I hate to think of getting a new box, but I think that’s reality. Much easier to carry smaller gear in the box than deal with the trailer....
From Reddit:

I want to try this now to see for myself. Thinking of getting the Yakima 66" trailer per link below and using my Thule cargo box on it. Should have much better aerodynamics than putting the cargo box on top of the car.

66" trailer

Which instructions? The initial installations gave a higher torque spec causing the damaged glass, so if you can post the correct torque spec, that would be helpful. thanks.

Fred
I have the Tesla crossbars on my Y and there is no issue whatsoever with glass damage. As stated, follow the instructions they come with for install and you’ll see the glass isn’t even torqued. Anyone with a Y can look for the markers where you insert metal clips designed to pull in reinforced locations. Furthermore, these have to be the sexiest crossbars to have ever been designed and manufactured by Yakima. Every thought seems to have gone into protecting the vehicle, providing robust bars to attach kit to, and maintaining sporty design with minimal impact to aerodynamics.

@mrbloons - you saved my bacon today! I was trying out putting my bike on the roof rack using Yakima Fork Chops. It was my first time putting a bike on any roof rack. I thought of your experience and put a towel down on the glass roof. Sure enough, I scraped the bike's front fork against what would have been my roof, but was fortunately just a beach towel.

btw - the roof rack with Fork Chop works great. Putting up the bikes much easier with two people because there are no rails or gutter in which to insert and steady the rear tire. That's what caused me to slip.
How do these work with the Y I found my bike wheels were too far apart to be able to use these what bike do you have?