Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivery delayed due to shipping damage :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a delivery tomorrow, got a call from the Tesla advisor who informed me my MY will be sent to a body shop for a week because the front bumper driver side and the rear passenger quarter panel has scratches from delivery damage. The advisor said they’d probably order new panels but not sure if thats true and how he would know. Huge bummer had a ton of things to do that week and I don’t have my old car anymore. Also grateful for the QC and transparency before delivery.

Anyone have experience with this? Will the repairs affect the car? Should I accept the delivery? If they repaint it will the colours match? If panels are replaced will they be like new, would that mess with sensors?

I ordered it all black. Located in eastern canada. VIN 78, build 11/18

Last edited:
Had a delivery tomorrow, got a call from the Tesla advisor who informed me my MY will be sent to a body shop for a week because the front bumper driver side and the rear passenger quarter panel has scratches from delivery damage. The advisor said they’d probably order new panels but not sure if thats true and how he would know. Huge bummer had a ton of things to do that week and I don’t have my old car anymore. Also grateful for the QC and transparency before delivery.

Anyone have experience with this? Will the repairs affect the car? Should I accept the delivery? If they repaint it will the colours match? If panels are replaced will they be like new, would that mess with sensors?

I ordered it all black. Located in eastern canada. VIN 78, build 11/18
I had a similar experience. Delivery date 11/2. Day of I called to make sure all good. Informed the car was damaged with a dent. They offered to repair. I asked for a picture. I was not comfortable with them repairing due to size and depth of dent. I rejected the car. Had new vin 11/3, car built 11/7, picked up 11/28 all good. I would ask for pictures of damage or inspect and decide if ok to you to repair. If not ok reject and get a different one.

• Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY
I had a similar experience. Delivery date 11/2. Day of I called to make sure all good. Informed the car was damaged with a dent. They offered to repair. I asked for a picture. I was not comfortable with them repairing due to size and depth of dent. I rejected the car. Had new vin 11/3, car built 11/7, picked up 11/28 all good. I would ask for pictures of damage or inspect and decide if ok to you to repair. If not ok reject and get a different one.

Thanks! Just asked for some pictures, I’ll also do a thorough check on delivery. Will this auto body work go on the cars repair report?

OP: Your car will be sold as "new", since it hasn't been titled.

The repair depends totally on the quality of the bodyshop doing the repairs. A good body shop might actually do a better paint job than Tesla OEM, but personally, I would NOT accept a "new" car that has already been repaired post manufacture.

• Informative
Reactions: bread
OP: Your car will be sold as "new", since it hasn't been titled.

The repair depends totally on the quality of the bodyshop doing the repairs. A good body shop might actually do a better paint job than Tesla OEM, but personally, I would NOT accept a "new" car that has already been repaired post manufacture.

I would agree absolutely with this.

If you accepted and then subsequently wanted to sell it, how would you answer the question "Has it ever been in an accident or had any bodywork done?"

Reactions: CO_MY and bread
I would agree absolutely with this.

If you accepted and then subsequently wanted to sell it, how would you answer the question "Has it ever been in an accident or had any bodywork done?"

You would not be legally bound to report any pre-sale work on the car, including any electrical/mechanical/body work. However, I would feel compelled to list it, because...that's...just...the...way...I...am.

VT-EE..."...wouldn't care much..."...until the paint fades at a different rate than OEM!

I don't believe Tesla would pay for a rear quarter panel removal/cut/weld. You're right: major surgery.

VT-EE..."...wouldn't care much..."...until the paint fades at a different rate than OEM!

I don't believe Tesla would pay for a rear quarter panel removal/cut/weld. You're right: major surgery.
I have never experienced paint fade from good body shop work. It’s also worth mentioning that BMW, Mercedes, etc will repaint panels when needed and the customer never knows. It is legal and not an issue.

Do not accept the car if they are replacing the rear quarter panel. That is major surgery requiring them to cut metal and replace. If it’s just paint, then I personally wouldn’t care much.

Thank you, will call them shortly to confirm they aren’t replacing that panel. Apparently the tesla approved body shop have tesla stock paint. If its just a repaint or buffing I don’t think thats too bad if I can’t tell during inspection.

Do not accept the car if they are replacing the rear quarter panel. That is major surgery requiring them to cut metal and replace. If it’s just paint, then I personally wouldn’t care much.

Just got the pics, SA unsure if body shop will replace panels or repaint. Does it look like a repaint? Scratches look very minor..

42E5CFD5-D4F6-477A-B701-4084BDA1BB2C.jpeg
0D9D52B6-B22A-4350-9DC9-AA34E1B262B3.jpeg

Just got the pics, SA unsure if body shop will replace panels or repaint. Does it look like a repaint? Scratches look very minor..

View attachment 614464 View attachment 614465
It looks like just scratches, right? No dents? I personally would be more inclined to let them fix a scratch. Nice choice in color btw, I got black also:). FYI, Attached is a photo of the dent on the first car I rejected.

Attachments

• 31914DF5-2AAC-464A-B9A6-62F965D3EC9F.jpeg
    31914DF5-2AAC-464A-B9A6-62F965D3EC9F.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 111
It looks like just scratches, right? No dents? I personally would be more inclined to let them fix a scratch. Nice choice in color btw, I got black also:). FYI, Attached is a photo of the dent on the first car I rejected.

ya just scratches no dents - yikes I’d be sad if the damage was a dent like that! I think the scratches are ok for me fixed as long as no panels are replaced

Kinda surprised they even caught that, I thought they moved fast enough to not really look the cars over except to make sure trim hadn’t fallen off or something...

I would think a good body shop would be able to fix that no problem, possibly without even having to repaint depending how deep it is. It’s amazing what a good shop can do with small cosmetic stuff like that.

Kinda surprised they even caught that, I thought they moved fast enough to not really look the cars over except to make sure trim hadn’t fallen off or something...

I would think a good body shop would be able to fix that no problem, possibly without even having to repaint depending how deep it is. It’s amazing what a good shop can do with small cosmetic stuff like that.
Maybe they're trying to step their inspections up a bit. I called today to get an update on whether or not they really think I'll be able to take delivery Wednesday since they had to fix a dent on the car. I asked them if they can give me more information on the location. After a few minutes on hold, the advisor told me it was actually not a dent on the exterior but rather it was in one of the door jams and you can't see it unless you you are looking for it.

No way for me to verify if this is true or not but hoping it is.

• Informative