Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Deposit to Lock In FSD Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh...these price increases are driving me crazy because I've been on the fence about pre-ordering the Y. I'm almost certain I'm going to get it, but I didn't feel any need to give Tesla another loan after reserving the 3 on day 1 and seeing how it all played out over the following 2+ years. I already missed out before the $1K price increase that came a few weeks after the reveal by not reserving early. Now with this additional $1K increase on FSD apparently coming, I guess it's time to jump in. It's refundable after all... (That's me rationalizing with myself...)

Does a preorder actually lock in the price? The agreement seems to contradict that:

```
Agreement to Purchase. You agree to pre-order the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration and by taking delivery, completing the transaction when the Vehicle is ready for delivery from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.
```

I've come to the same conclusion before reading this thread. A deposit on Model Y before the end of Apr19 is a FREE option to purchase the future at current pricing. Nowhere else can you get such a thing.

If Elon doesn't meet his targets and robotaxi aren't a thing, just get your deposit back. If he is successful, take delivery and start making money in the Tesla Network with an XL vehicle which will charge a premium to model 3.

Can you indicate where in the contract that is says that a reservation guarantees a price? I have a reservation for that purpose but it seems that there is no price guarantee, which feels like it makes the reservation pointless.

Funny how my mindset as changed reading my own post from 2.5 months ago. Definitely going to get a Y. Definite not going to put down a deposit for it and not jump in right away, regardless of whatever FSD promises are being made. Probably won't even bother with FSD. My early production Model LR RWD 3 has had enough service things over the past 15 months that might have not happened with a later production date. Plus, the launch price of the Model 3 buys a lot more car now, even with the declining tax credit.

Reactions: rembaz
I remain a potential New Tesla and Y model owner but I won't go the pre-deposit order route. The wording in the Tesla site just does not ensure confidence that the price is locked in or your order will be built before someone who jumps in later but has a more expensive model.

My 2 cents on pre ordering: it is not a guarantee on pricing, but is still a hedge toward getting that price. To my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) Tesla has so far honored pre order pricing as long as you do not make any changes to your order. If you even changed the color in the past, the order changed to whatever the prices were on the day of that change.

My concern is if Tesla somehow cracks the self driving and the robo taxi network is up and running before the Model Y is out, all bets on past behaviour are out the door because Tesla's business model becomes fundamentally changed. But in that case I'll just be plain crazy rich on my significant investment in TSLA and will order cars to drive me where ever when ever I want :)

So my advice is to pre order and then invest at least a hundred times your pre order amount in TSLA. That way you win whichever way FSD swings :D

Last edited:
I got confirmation yesterday that a reservation does NOT lock in pricing for the car or any options, which begs the question...why make a reservation in the first place then. I see no benefit to giving Tesla my money ahead of time.

Dan

And with the price of Tesla’s generally in a downward trend, why would one want to lock in a higher price? Safe to say Model Y will get cheaper after release, just like Model 3.

Robotaxis are 10 years out, at the earliest.

Reactions: rembaz
It would be wise to look at how Tesla keeps customer deposits on their balance sheet and also to understand bankruptcy law in the US before coming to such conclusions.

I am not a bankruptcy lawyer (I was once a tax lawyer), but my guess is that you can kiss your deposit goodbye in case of bankruptcy. The little bit of time I have spent with bankruptcy law suggests to me that the funds would have to be set aside in some way (e.g. trust, think pension funds). This feels more like breach of contract to me, meaning the buyers are unsecured creditors. About the last think you want to be in bankruptcy is an unsecured creditor. Back of the line and the money usually runs out before you get to the front. That said, if you can afford the car, you can afford to lose the deposit. Still, given the countless uncertainties around Tesla, one could certainly argue it makes more sense to wait until the car is in production.

So. I don’t recall the exact price of my order before. Now that the prices have changed for the Y are everyone’s orders that same price as before or did they adjust with the new pricing structure.

If this order doesn’t lock in FSD price I’m cancelling preorder. I just get it when I get it.

So. I don’t recall the exact price of my order before. Now that the prices have changed for the Y are everyone’s orders that same price as before or did they adjust with the new pricing structure.

If this order doesn’t lock in FSD price I’m cancelling preorder. I just get it when I get it.

I’ve heard conflicting reports on whether or not FSD price is locked in with a Model Y order. Since it’s an “order” I can’t imagine they will change it, but who knows with Tesla. Anything is possible.

This is something I would get in touch with Tesla about for confirmation. Not an Internet forum.

I’ve heard conflicting reports on whether or not FSD price is locked in with a Model Y order. Since it’s an “order” I can’t imagine they will change it, but who knows with Tesla. Anything is possible.

This is something I would get in touch with Tesla about for confirmation. Not an Internet forum.

I would agree with you. Except my experience is the people who answer the phones at Tesla tend to not seem to be 100% informed. I would say the only way to really know if to get Elon to respond to a tweet. But I don’t want to stir up trouble at that level.

My order got cheaper when I edited my design because autopilot is now included for free. instead of 2.5k or whatever it was before. If you designed your model Y before the FSD went 6k from 5k, your FSD cost will go up to the new 6k, but your overall price will go down because you will no longer be paying for autopilot. Because FSD is about to go up again, I would recommend people with an order deposit/design edit their design asap before the FSD price goes up again to get savings on included autopilot at the 6k FSD price just in case Tesla does honor our orders at the price in our design.