Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Desired Features and Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you all, I'm excited for the Model Y to be unveiled in March of 2019. I like Tesla as a whole and all of their card. However, the Model S is expensive, the Model X is kind of funky, and the Model 3 is just too small for me at this stage of life. Below are some ideas of what I would like to see on the Model Y, and things I do not want to see. I'd love to hear from others on their ideas as well.

I'm assuming that the model Y will share the core DNA of the model 3 which should save quite a bit of development and ramp up time.

Interior:
- Single screen interface, likely 15 inches (Personally, I'd like to have a "dashboard" directly behind the wheel, but I think we'll see a very similar setup to the model 3)
- Heated and Cooled seats, powered adjustment
- Sunroof as an option, glass roof if not (I'm quite surprised this is not yet an option on the model 3)
- Ample cargo space in the back plus a deep funk (I'm thinking Honda CRV sized at the minimum)
- Captains chairs would be cool, but I think we'll see bench seats in the back
- No 3rd row (obviously)
- Fold flat rear seats
- Leather / synthetic leather
- Cargo cover
- cupholders, door pockets, and a sunglass holder for the driver
- Wireless phone charging pad

Exterior:
- Higher ground clearance than the model 3 (duh) with reasonable approach angles for off roading
- Roof Rack
- towing capabilities / tow hitch
- LED headlights, tail lights, fog lights
- Model 3 like door handles
- regular side opening doors (Look, the falcon wings are cool, but I just don't see them as practical or cost efficient and they seem expensive to fix if they were to break)
- power lift gate

Battery / Tech:
- Battery options of 60 and 75kwh
- Rear or Dual motor AWD (Same motors as the 3)
- AP2.5 (or whatever is current at the time) with blind spot monitoring, etc.
- supercharging (for a fee)
- Phone as key or keyfob accessory
- Waze / Spotify built in

These are my opinions. I'd love to hear what others want or do not want in model Y when it's announced.

Reactions: KJD and mikevbf
Presuming it will be a small crossover vehicle with the 3's base structure, I'd particularly hope for outdoor-friendly items like:

1-inch tow hitch for a rear bike rack, cooler/extra gear, electric scooter, etc.
exterior 120V electrical outlet for small electronics (and app-integrated information about how long you could run whatever you have plugged in - this would also be great if you happened to have a garage freezer that needed to be run during a power failure...)
waterproof 'bucket' type lining or pan for the rear storage (if tossing in a damp tent, leaky cooler, etc)

Reactions: Eevee
A heads up display or better voice command of interface until FSD becomes mature and legal (same for Model 3). Without the 3rd row, I see no practical reason for the falcon wing doors. Cargo space should not be sedan like like the Model 3, but more like a real cuv or at least hatchback. It should be big enough to fit a large lets say 100 pound dog. In addition to roof rack and hitch, I would like a pass through slot for skis in ski bag to go through rear seats without folding them down (they should really have this on the Model X). And definitely more clearance than Model 3 with air suspension option offered from day 1 of production. I would also request that it be designed to deal with little bit of ruggedness so plastic exterior pieces not whole painted panels take some of the abuse to reduce expensive time consuming body shop repairs. How about removable side mirrors where it is set to accept after market camera stalks to replace them. By the way that is legal today.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Highly unlikely we see a sunroof, given that they just nuked that option from the S today.

Frankly, if they upsize the 3 to a 5-seat medium SUV that will comfortably fit five adults and a bunch of crap, and make virtually no other changes, I'm in.

I'd expect it to be mostly like the Model 3 but with the SUV form factor. I'm hoping they don't get left behind, and better yet, innovate on some of the creature comforts available/standard on competing models (e.g. power liftgate).

Storage space is key, and thoughtful and flexible implementation of cargo transport (e.g. tie-down hooks, fold-down flat seats, racking options on top, hitch, etc.) are important.

With each model Tesla adds in some kind of wow. The X had the FWD. For Model 3 it was the center screen (which I expect on the Y). Somewhere the Y will pack a surprise - I can't imagine Tesla is sitting on their arses in terms of design.

With each model Tesla adds in some kind of wow. The X had the FWD. For Model 3 it was the center screen (which I expect on the Y). Somewhere the Y will pack a surprise - I can't imagine Tesla is sitting on their arses in terms of design.

Well, we know that Tesla is coming out with a new battery cel for early next year. And there's the improvements to the wiring harness and the elimination of the 12V battery system that Elon has discussed on earnings calls last year.

I hope they don't try so hard to impress on the design that they overthink and overcomplicate it. A Model 3 with a higher wheel base, greater storage capacity (on all fronts: trunk, roof, and hitch) will suit me just fine. The fact that Supercharger V3 rollout will be well underway before Model Y ships in volume is the icing on the cake.

Reactions: KJD and fiatlux
hope they don't try so hard to impress on the design that they overthink and overcomplicate it. A Model 3 with a higher wheel base, greater storage capacity (on all fronts: trunk, roof, and hitch) will suit me just fine.

I hope they start taking a cue from Rivian and focus on the utility side of the vehicle. I want a car we use hard and not baby. I use my my MX hard and it shows. I wish my MX were even more utilitarian than it is such as having a front and rear bumper which were designed to take more abuse and doors that did not get in the way of strapping things on the roof.

Reactions: fiatlux and Eevee
I hope they start taking a cue from Rivian and focus on the utility side of the vehicle. I want a car we use hard and not baby. I use my my MX hard and it shows. I wish my MX were even more utilitarian than it is such as having a front and rear bumper which were designed to take more abuse and doors that did not get in the way of strapping things on the roof.
100% this. I just hope the Y will be reliable and durable

I sure hope they don't pile on gimmicky features that delay and jack up the price. I thought I read somewhere that there would be three rows, that seems ridiculous unless they stretch the chassis, which I would prefer they didn't do. If it was basically a slightly taller wagon-like 3, I am in.

Reactions: fiatlux
I want a wagon, don't care if they jack it up and call it a crossover, 7 seats would be a big plus for me. Currently have 3 kids and wife is due in 3 months. The X is hers, this would be mine.

The way Tesla's schedule is with releasing their cars it would work out perfectly for me. by the time I get the Y the currently unborn baby would be starting school... Wife drops of kids at school 8n the morning I pick them up after work

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVCollies
I just got a Model 3 a few weeks ago. I really like it. But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t desire something a bit more utilitarian... more family friendly. Features I’d like to see:
-Hatchback-I’m assuming this will be a hatch back. But I just thought I’d mention it.
-Towing-at Least 1500lbs. Ideally, 2500-3000 would be really nice.
-The ability to have a roof rack.
-An inch or two more of back seat leg room
-A heads-up display.
-Real buttons for: rear seat warmers, steering wheel adjustment, side mirror adjustment
There are still times when I want to adjust these things while driving. Harder to do on the screen
-A level cargo floor with little-to-no “lift-over” for the rear trunk opening.
-real interior lights next to the side view mirrors for blind spot warning
-More intuitive interior and exterior door handles. I don’t mind exterior door handles on my Model too much. But they aren’t as comfortable or easy to use as other cars. The interior buttons are fine. But they confuse new passengers.
-slightly more compliant ride than Model 3. Not Camry compliant... but maybe a hair more than my 3.

I just got a Model 3 a few weeks ago. I really like it. But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t desire something a bit more utilitarian... more family friendly. Features I’d like to see:
-Hatchback-I’m assuming this will be a hatch back. But I just thought I’d mention it.
-Towing-at Least 1500lbs. Ideally, 2500-3000 would be really nice.
-The ability to have a roof rack.
-An inch or two more of back seat leg room
-A heads-up display.
-Real buttons for: rear seat warmers, steering wheel adjustment, side mirror adjustment
There are still times when I want to adjust these things while driving. Harder to do on the screen
-A level cargo floor with little-to-no “lift-over” for the rear trunk opening.
-real interior lights next to the side view mirrors for blind spot warning
-More intuitive interior and exterior door handles. I don’t mind exterior door handles on my Model too much. But they aren’t as comfortable or easy to use as other cars. The interior buttons are fine. But they confuse new passengers.
-slightly more compliant ride than Model 3. Not Camry compliant... but maybe a hair more than my 3.
Correction: I just noticed during lunch today that my Model 3 car is showing/was delivered with tires at 48psi. Owner’s manual recommends 42psi. So, I’ll be correcting my tire pressure. I’m guessing this will make the ride a bit more in line with my taste.

No FWD, AWD, Good ground clearance 9inch (Air Suspension), 5 seater (Don't care much for 7 seats, not a single SUV can handle 7 adults today); Bigger Battery (150kW+) option I cannot stand getting only 2/3 range in the winter...; Tow hitch Option (for Bike Rack); Roof Rack Option; Don't care for performance version produce standard version available day 1; CCS Charging Std Support.