Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Desired Features and Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a ramping perspective, Tesla will probably always produce the highest end variant first to minimize loss while they iron out production issues, it just makes financial sense. Personally, I really hope that they don't put the falcon doors on the Y. It's cool on the X, but the falcon doors can be a liability in terms of repair/reliability. I hope that they are working to speed up supercharging in a way that doesn't degrade the battery, yet makes the process much faster. Bigger batteries will take longer to fully charge and will be heavier/use more range unless they change the chemistry/makeup of the cell to be lighter/higher capacity. I'd love to see them keep the cockpit view of the X, if possible (it's amazing!)

My two top features are, factory tow hitch and a HUGE battery pack that offers real world 400 miles at 70mph (without trailer)....probably about 100kWh.

Everything else will be fine by me because I'm not picky. I would love to have the Model 3 style dash and interior.

Instead of Falcon Wing doors, center openings for the rear doors would work great and provide a unique look. If they could be automatically self closing, like Rolls Royce, they would be fantastic.

Considering they didn't bring the self presenting doors (even as an option) to the Model 3, I'm doubtful we'd see something similar on the Model Y.

The only "innovation" I wouldn't mind seeing on the Model Y is a HUD. I'd like to see some info on the window if they can make it work, but part of me thinks that would be more of an X/S luxury feature. Coming only 2 years apart, I'm happy to take the the Model Y as a taller, bigger SUV version of a Model 3. And we know that before it comes out there's a new battery cel being released, and Supercharging V3 will be rolling out in earnest, and whatever improvements to autopilot are released in the next 2 years... there's a lot to be excited about for Model Y owners. Other than that- keep it simple, keep it practical.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Here is my never going to happen wish.

I hope that the Y is essentially a hatchback/crossover variant of the Model 3. A larger trunk opening, slightly taller suspension, and slightly more headroom.

Here is the totally out there part. It should be so similar to the 3 that it can be assembled on the existing Model 3 production line without any significant changes.

Imagine what would happen to all of the Tesla shorts if Elon got up on the stage in March and behind the curtain was a parking lot with 1,000 Model Y's - all of which had been assembled in the previous 24 hours.

Please, not the Model 3 door handles! I'd rather they spent a little extra money and offer the Model X's type instead - and that applies across all the vehicles - S, 3 and Y. Living in a wintry climate I wish they simply added window frames - when it's icy it can cause problems until the car is warmed up enough to de-ice the windows). Otherwise, if they make the Y a 3 with better and more storage (including a hatch instead of a trunk) I might just consider getting that.

Here is my never going to happen wish.

I hope that the Y is essentially a hatchback/crossover variant of the Model 3. A larger trunk opening, slightly taller suspension, and slightly more headroom.

Here is the totally out there part. It should be so similar to the 3 that it can be assembled on the existing Model 3 production line without any significant changes.

Imagine what would happen to all of the Tesla shorts if Elon got up on the stage in March and behind the curtain was a parking lot with 1,000 Model Y's - all of which had been assembled in the previous 24 hours.

This isnt that crazy (if we're talking about just manufacturing a single car). They should share the same skateboard, meaning they have the same wheelbase. A slightly higher suspension, maybe a little longer front and rear, and hatchback.

However, it's my understanding that Fremont has 3 lines running just for the model 3. They would need 6 lines (or more) if the 3 and Y were produced on the same line. (That being said, maybe they do this anyways, and open 3 lines at the GF in Nevada. The 3 to 4 assembly lines in NV exclusively ship to the mid west and east coast, Fremont is for west coast / europe.

Correction: I just noticed during lunch today that my Model 3 car is showing/was delivered with tires at 48psi. Owner’s manual recommends 42psi. So, I’ll be correcting my tire pressure. I’m guessing this will make the ride a bit more in line with my taste.
Ok. I adjusted the tire pressure. My Model 3 is better now. But in thinking about it, I think I would prefer a softer ride in an SUV.

This isnt that crazy (if we're talking about just manufacturing a single car). They should share the same skateboard, meaning they have the same wheelbase. A slightly higher suspension, maybe a little longer front and rear, and hatchback.

However, it's my understanding that Fremont has 3 lines running just for the model 3. They would need 6 lines (or more) if the 3 and Y were produced on the same line. (That being said, maybe they do this anyways, and open 3 lines at the GF in Nevada. The 3 to 4 assembly lines in NV exclusively ship to the mid west and east coast, Fremont is for west coast / europe.

Yes, they will need more lines either way, but the ability to produce 2,000 3's OR 2,000 Y's on any given day is a lot better than the ability to produce 1,000 3s AND 1,000 Ys.

And if the shock of availability on day 1 was not enough to totally screw over the shorts, shifting 2019 production plans from base model 3's with a relatively thin profit margin to fully loaded model Y's would probably do the trick.

Heads up display!
a 400 mile range would be awesome....
Android Auto.
Foot activated tailgate
Dual Motor

Don't need the extra row of seats.

I currently have a 19 Cadillac XT4 and love it. I can get in and out easily without back pain. I had to give up a Camaro SS for it unfortunately.
I am hoping the timing works out that I can get a Y after my 3 year lease is up. The X is just to big for me and I love the size of a small SUV/Crossover.

Reactions: dmurphy
If this is going to be the vehicle that launches the Tesla Network it will need the following.

- Door handles that pop out like S/X.
- Falcon wing doors.
- Frames around the windows or no emergency latch (Like on Model 3)

I've given 100+ rideshare rides with my Model 3 and opening the door is the biggest pain. If the person is drunk they have no chance of figuring out the Model 3's handles.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and Gen3
If this is going to be the vehicle that launches the Tesla Network it will need the following.

- Door handles that pop out like S/X.
- Falcon wing doors.
- Frames around the windows or no emergency latch (Like on Model 3)

I've given 100+ rideshare rides with my Model 3 and opening the door is the biggest pain. If the person is drunk they have no chance of figuring out the Model 3's handles.
Drunk folk should not be given the power of the fart app...

One of the main reasons I would not get an X are the FWDs - however 'sexy' they are! Just too complicated - especially as we would keep the car indefinitely and I'd fear having to fix them in the future. So ditto the Y (which is likely my next car)

I like the idea which I have seen somewhere of having a smaller 'boot' hatch within the main hatch so one can access the boot without opening the rear hatch - particularly in rainy/windy weather. This could be light and easy and not powered but the main hatch (with the extra weight) would be powered anyway.

This would set the Tesla apart (unless I've missed some other production SUV with this feature. It could easily be an option as well - even a retro fit....

What I want the Model Y to be is the same length as the X with the falcon wing doors and three rows of seats. I am afraid if it is built on the model 3 platform it will be too small for me and I think for the majority of the potential SUV owners out there. If they want to really capture a huge number of sales it should be as long as the X and just be made much cheaper - this is possible I am sure. If Tesla makes it too short then some other car company will capture that market and it is a very large slice in the USA. Maybe in Europe smaller would sell well but not in the USA. I saw the X and the model 3 on the weekend and I realize there is large difference.

Reactions: Gen3