Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on emergency Braking not working as expected. Scenario for my wife is she was driving in slow moving traffic. The car in front of her started and stopped again quickly. She started and didn't stop in time and rear ended the car in front. Any idea if this is due to being in slow moving traffic and moving no more than 5 to 10 mph or maybe closeness of the vehicles in traffic? Should emergency braking have initiated for this situation? She said there was no alert from the car regarding potential forward collision.

Sorry to hear that about your wife and car, hopefully everyone was okay. I too have the same curiosity because I have all the settings enabled that are supposed to engage with collusion detection, lane change...etc. and I have noticed the same behavior where the car does not seem to self engage in close proximity to another car in front of me. Only at a distance does it beep and highlight a car red to warn me of a collusion but never has it braked for me. My vehicle is still about a month old and I still have not received any of the new software updates available...not sure if the new software is supposed to mitigate this problem.

Gonna bump this thread for a cool story. I live in a somewhat rural area. On the way home from the vet today (annual heart worm tests)…. 2 dogs in the back. 40 mph on a residential main artery. No autopilot or TACC. Car absolutely slams on the brakes…. Anti-lock engages, car nearly comes to a complete stop. I’m pissed, another phantom braking episode is my initial thought… not funny. It happens fast so a bit flustered But them I realize no…. Alarms were going off, screen flashing red… It was automatic emergency braking. Saved the life of a coyote crossing the road. Never saw it, but the car did. I didn’t think it would detect deer or dogs…. Has anyone else experienced this. There was nothing else around so it had to be the coyote.