Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front brake rotors on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. I suspect it can, as long as a suitable caliper bracket is engineered and built to move the caliper outward. It may only be possible when using 19" or larger wheels.

It'd be great for someone like @MountainPass to offer a solution here. They offer lightweight stock (320mm) diameter rotors and a larger (365mm) diameter rotor kit for the standard brake Model 3's. Providing the caliper bracket could be a cheap solution to give more brake energy even considering the cost of buying Model Y OE rotors. Then again, this might steal sales from their other products.

Last edited:
Any difference in rotor hat thickness would change the wheel offset, but that would likely be minor. The critical bit is ensuring the wheel hub can still fit flush on the rotor hat.

Someone with both cars just needs to pull the wheels and take a look. Having someone design and build a caliper bracket would be the hard part; it’s not a place to skimp on a solution.

So wheel offset is basically the hub’s positioning relative to the centerline of the wheel - what I’m wondering about is the same, except for the rotor hat vs. the rotor. If those are the same... and the wheel can still sit flush... basically all we should need is a bracket. Maybe a bracket could also be designed to accommodate any “offset” differences as well, if any. Would be a nice cheap(er) upgrade for those of us looking for beefier brakes.

Right, the bracket would, theoretically, be able to move the caliper outward from the hub for rotor clearance and also account for any spacing adjustment necessary along the axis of rotation of the rotor.

Here's the MPP bracket for their 365mm rotors. It moves the caliper away from the hub and shifts it either in or out a little as well.

Bracket.jpg

Unfortunately not possible with 355mm rotors. 360mm is the smallest you could go with a bracket and still get full pad sweep and have everything lined up right. I already tried this with the 3 performance rotors which are the same size.

Also, the 3 performance rotor are only $165 each, so no reason to use these inferior 1-piece Y rotors as they will likely save little to no $ and weight several pounds more.

Unfortunately not possible with 355mm rotors. 360mm is the smallest you could go with a bracket and still get full pad sweep and have everything lined up right. I already tried this with the 3 performance rotors which are the same size.

Also, the 3 performance rotor are only $165 each, so no reason to use these inferior 1-piece Y rotors as they will likely save little to no $ and weight several pounds more.

The performance 3 rotors are direct swap on to non performance models?

Where did you get this info? First I've heard of the Y/3 brakes being different, thought the base and performance of each model shared the same brake sizes.

I own more Model 3's than is sensible. I dabbled with a few Model Y's for a few weeks, and ended up with another 3 instead (don't ask why, I don't know). Additionally, a lot of information is on Tesla's EPC catalog.

The Base brakes on the Y are the same on the front axle as the Performance brakes, the only difference being the Performance has a red caliper. The calipers and rotors are physically exactly the same. The rear rotors on the Y are the same on both. The Performance does have the upgraded rear calipers, and the base has the standard rear calipers (same as 3).

I own more Model 3's than is sensible. I dabbled with a few Model Y's for a few weeks, and ended up with another 3 instead (don't ask why, I don't know). Additionally, a lot of information is on Tesla's EPC catalog.

The Base brakes on the Y are the same on the front axle as the Performance brakes, the only difference being the Performance has a red caliper. The calipers and rotors are physically exactly the same. The rear rotors on the Y are the same on both. The Performance does have the upgraded rear calipers, and the base has the standard rear calipers (same as 3).

I can confirm that this is the case. I Put my Model 3 Performance PUP brakes (Calipers & Rotors) on my wife's 2021 Model Y Dual Motor. The front calipers are EXACTLY the same, just with red paint. Every Number stamped in it is the exact same. I found that the rotors are different though, but will fit interchangeably with the Model 3 Performance floating rotors. Model Y Dust shields on the front work fine.

The only changes that i needed to do is swap out the rear dust shield and swap out the parking brake wiring harness. You can cut the Model Y dust shield to clear the mounting brackets of the Performance rear calipers if you don't want to buy new ones.

I cannot confirm that the Model Y Performance Parking brake wiring harness is a direct fit since I didn't buy the harness to try out. I made my own Harness. The wires are longer but it uses the same connectors as the Model 3 Performance harness.

• Informative
Reactions: Dolemite
w8... so you guys are telling me that if I want to upgrade to the M3P+ “BBK”, basically all I have to do is get the base Model Y front calipers + rotors?

And were the rear rotors the same across the board?

Yes, Correct. To be clear though, Base model meaning long range dual motor. I'm not certain what brakes the on-then-of menu RWD Y has.

Also, the rotors are the same size and will work, but not the same kind. (Model 3 PUP rotors are "2 piece", Model Y AWD are standard cast)

w8... so you guys are telling me that if I want to upgrade to the M3P+ “BBK”, basically all I have to do is get the base Model Y front calipers + rotors?

And were the rear rotors the same across the board?

I would get the base Y front calipers and pair them with Performance 3 rotors on all four corners. You would still have the base rear calipers, though.

This would be a cool and cheap way to upgrade the front brakes and drop some pounds in the process!

Yes, Correct. To be clear though, Base model meaning long range dual motor. I'm not certain what brakes the on-then-of menu RWD Y has.

Also, the rotors are the same size and will work, but not the same kind. (Model 3 PUP rotors are "2 piece", Model Y AWD are standard cast)

I would get the base Y front calipers and pair them with Performance 3 rotors on all four corners. You would still have the base rear calipers, though.

This would be a cool and cheap way to upgrade the front brakes and drop some pounds in the process!
Yeah or get the MPP discs so that I don't have to deal with the hub bs... Still leaves the rear caliper but maybe the rear caliper from an S would fit?

My main "concern" at this point is "feel." I miss the brakes on my BMW - by far the most impressive thing about that car. I know that changing pads might help, but I don't know if that'll get it to where I want. If it weren't for regen, I probably would've done something about it by now. Got the MPP brace but that's only part of the equation.

Yeah or get the MPP discs so that I don't have to deal with the hub bs... Still leaves the rear caliper but maybe the rear caliper from an S would fit?

I have the S rear calipers in my pile of parts I bought, but shouldn't have. I think I tried to test fit them before but they didn't fit. I don't remember why. I want to say that they bolted on, but the pads didn't line up with the rotor, or something like that. Ill give it another go this weekend and report back.

• Helpful