Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Front Motor Whining Noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I took delivery of my AWD Model Y PUP, I've been hearing a high pitch whining aound which appears to be coming from the front motor / drive unit. I notice it most when cruising around 40mph with light pressure on the accelerator. Also, if I let go of the accelerator and then lightly press, it will make an oscillating sound for a few seconds (almost like a pulsing). It's loud enough that I can hear it even with the music playing. Has anyone else experienced this with the Model Y? I've seen other threads referring to a "Milling Sound" or "Beeping Sound" that required replacement of the front drive unit / motor. Could this be a bad bearing? I hope it's not normal as it's driving me crazy!

Ever since I took delivery of my AWD Model Y PUP, I've been hearing a high pitch whining aound which appears to be coming from the front motor / drive unit. I notice it most when cruising around 40mph with light pressure on the accelerator. Also, if I let go of the accelerator and then lightly press, it will make an oscillating sound for a few seconds (almost like a pulsing). It's loud enough that I can hear it even with the music playing. Has anyone else experienced this with the Model Y? I've seen other threads referring to a "Milling Sound" or "Beeping Sound" that required replacement of the front drive unit / motor. Could this be a bad bearing? I hope it's not normal as it's driving me crazy!

I've got 3 different Tesla so far so I do expect to hear the electronic futuristic the Jetsons whine.

When the bearing gets to be bad, it's not that same high pitched variable "whine" noise. The noise occurs when power is applied and immediately disappears when power is not applied such as regen... Please hear an example at:

Sounds of Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

I've got 3 different Tesla so far so I do expect to hear the electronic futuristic the Jetsons whine.

When the bearing gets to be bad, it's not that same high pitched variable "whine" noise. The noise occurs when power is applied and immediately disappears when power is not applied such as regen... Please hear an example at:

Sounds of Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

Thanks for the response! Just to be clear this sound I'm referring to is when I'm just cruising around at constant speed and barely touching the accelerator pedal (most evident when going around 40mph. I think it's still there at higher speeds on the highway, but road noise drowns it out at that point)...it's different than the acceleration noise which I agree is Jetsons like and nice. Do you hear the whining and pulsing/ oscillating sound while cruising around? I was under the impression I'd only hear the front motor when accelerating?

The heat pump noise posts are interesting for me. The heat pump (and probably climate control fan) on my Leaf makes more noise than the one on my Model Y. I'm thinking most of it is just perception, in particular when standing outside while the car is 'off'.

But it's not as loud inside, can't hear it with some quiet music on.

If it were the heat pump, wouldn't I hear it when the car was not moving or even at slow speeds? This noise starts becoming apparent when I get over 35-40mph. It really seems tied to the motor / drive unit.
Correct, heat pump can come on at any time. And I don't see any reason why it would *always* come in when you go over 35-40mph (assuming the noise is always there). So that indeed seems to point more towards the motor/drive unit.

Correct, heat pump can come on at any time. And I don't see any reason why it would *always* come in when you go over 35-40mph (assuming the noise is always there). So that indeed seems to point more towards the motor/drive unit.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I guess in the scenario I described above, should you hear the front motor while cruising along (not accelerating)? What is a normal front motor sound in a Tesla? I can't imagine people would be able to tolerate the high pitch noise my Model Y is making.

My model 3 does the same although it’s rwd. Took it into service center awhile back and they said electric engines will make that noise and that mine was within normal range. My father’s M3 doesn’t do it nearly as much or as loud so it seems to vary. I try to turn on music to drown out the noise as it drives me crazy, because once I start hearing it it’s all that I hear lol. It does seem to go away at higher speeds but strongest for me right at 47mph. I am still waiting for my MY and hoping this issue won’t be as bad on my new car, fingers crossed.

My model 3 does the same although it’s rwd. Took it into service center awhile back and they said electric engines will make that noise and that mine was within normal range. My father’s M3 doesn’t do it nearly as much or as loud so it seems to vary. I try to turn on music to drown out the noise as it drives me crazy, because once I start hearing it it’s all that I hear lol. It does seem to go away at higher speeds but strongest for me right at 47mph. I am still waiting for my MY and hoping this issue won’t be as bad on my new car, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like same issue I'm having. Does anyone else have any similar experiences with high pitch motor noise?

I just took delivery of a Model Y 2 days ago and have this issue. I think it’s the rear motor in my case, but the description of the behavior otherwise fits. I didn’t hear this in the demo model we test drive and it definitely isn’t what I’ve experienced in my Model 3. So I’m curious what was your outcome? There’s no way we’re just going to live w/ it (my best comparison is that it sounds like a dental implement) and have a service appt scheduled, but would like to go into that armed w/ how it turned out for others. Thanks!

I just took delivery of a Model Y 2 days ago and have this issue. I think it’s the rear motor in my case, but the description of the behavior otherwise fits. I didn’t hear this in the demo model we test drive and it definitely isn’t what I’ve experienced in my Model 3. So I’m curious what was your outcome? There’s no way we’re just going to live w/ it (my best comparison is that it sounds like a dental implement) and have a service appt scheduled, but would like to go into that armed w/ how it turned out for others. Thanks!

Hallelujah. Others with the same issue! Mine does the same thing from the rear. It's incredibly annoying during standard driving practices and honestly a bit maddening out of the box. My LR RWD Model 3 did the same thing, and after 3 appointments, the tech finally heard it and they replaced the drive unit. Whisper quiet ever since.

I noticed this when I drove it away from the service center immediately post delivery. It was added to my list of delivery issues that needed correction, but was wasn't addressed. It's been in twice for various corrections and the last time the service manager came out to talk to me, and said: "Perhaps the noise will just go away." WHAT. I stated that I will bring it back again and again until the issue is resolved. I'm not living with the issue since I know it's a defective drive unit that's the culprit. They tried to spin it has the trunk area of the Y being open vs closed on the 3. WHAT. It's a mechanical whine. That has nothing to do with it. Plus, not every issue is going throw a code. Why is it not present in the loaners, or my repaired 3? Because, it's not NORMAL.

I have another appointment on 11/13 for other post delivery issues that still need to be addressed (took delivery mid-July), and the motor is back on the list. The problem is not having the ability to drive with the techs currently to show them the issue immediately, since no tech is ever able to troubleshoot on their own. Regardless of the brand.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences with high pitch motor noise while cruising along?

Yes, from the rear. The front motor has started to make a lower pitched noise during low speed acceleration, for example, pulling away from the house. It's probably the rear motor in you car too, to be honest. It sounds like a jet engine/turbine. Now, under hard acceleration, perfectly fine. But cruising/regular driving, it better be as close to silent as possible.

I've noticed the same whine on mine. I asked the service guy about it when he was here, he said it was a combo of the electronics and the fact that it has straight cut gears and the front motor is not in use as much as the rear so it's "coasting" a of the time except under certain circumstances. Another whine you will notice as it gets colder that I observed in mine is when you set your car to go to the supercharger and it's preconditioning the battery it does something with the inverter/stator/motors (running them inefficiently) and that whine you get is twice as loud. I thought something was wrong with my car the first morning I got the 2x loud whine but shortly figured out it was related to when I was on route to the supercharger and it was heating the battery up. When i cancelled the route the whine went away.

I own a Model 3P and just took delivery of new dual motor Model Y three days ago. Immediately noticed the high pitch "whine" from the rear motor. Poked around on my own and was concerned about a defective rear drive unit. Service appointment today reviewed everything and they just indicated to me that it is "normal" and no additional work is needed. Unfortunately, the noise is not acceptable. I have until Saturday to return (seven day return period in effect from when I ordered) and while I want my new Model Y, I cannot live with it as is. Bummer.

I own a Model 3P and just took delivery of new dual motor Model Y three days ago. Immediately noticed the high pitch "whine" from the rear motor. Poked around on my own and was concerned about a defective rear drive unit. Service appointment today reviewed everything and they just indicated to me that it is "normal" and no additional work is needed. Unfortunately, the noise is not acceptable. I have until Saturday to return (seven day return period in effect from when I ordered) and while I want my new Model Y, I cannot live with it as is. Bummer.

Are you sure you can still return it? I thought they got rid of that policy...
Tesla cancels its ballsy 'no questions asked' 7-day return policy - Electrek

Yes the seven day return policy is gone. When I took delivery, I asked to take the car for a test drive and was told that wasn't possible but since I ordered prior to the policy change, I would still have seven days to return it. We'll see.

So, I am trying really hard to keep the faith but find mysef in quite a dilemma. First off, I really have to send a shout out to my SA who has advocated for me all week. After discussing the rear motor whine with the tech I was told all was normal, nothing more to do. Later that day, they decided to go ahead and replace the drive unit in my brand new Model Y. I was thrilled! Went to pick it up today and the SA apologized immediately because the whine is still present. I own a 3P, was driving a loaner 3, drove another Model Y today and all were substantially more quiet. I don’t think we can live with this noise knowing that it ought to be different. I confirmed my ability to return it, but of course then I can’t place another order for the same car for a year. Anyone out there aware of this issue (any idea why replacing the drive unit didn’t fix it, unless it wasn’t replaced) or have another potential resolution to it? Thanks

Hallelujah. Others with the same issue! Mine does the same thing from the rear. It's incredibly annoying during standard driving practices and honestly a bit maddening out of the box. My LR RWD Model 3 did the same thing, and after 3 appointments, the tech finally heard it and they replaced the drive unit. Whisper quiet ever since.

I noticed this when I drove it away from the service center immediately post delivery. It was added to my list of delivery issues that needed correction, but was wasn't addressed. It's been in twice for various corrections and the last time the service manager came out to talk to me, and said: "Perhaps the noise will just go away." WHAT. I stated that I will bring it back again and again until the issue is resolved. I'm not living with the issue since I know it's a defective drive unit that's the culprit. They tried to spin it has the trunk area of the Y being open vs closed on the 3. WHAT. It's a mechanical whine. That has nothing to do with it. Plus, not every issue is going throw a code. Why is it not present in the loaners, or my repaired 3? Because, it's not NORMAL.

I have another appointment on 11/13 for other post delivery issues that still need to be addressed (took delivery mid-July), and the motor is back on the list. The problem is not having the ability to drive with the techs currently to show them the issue immediately, since no tech is ever able to troubleshoot on their own. Regardless of the brand.

Yes, from the rear. The front motor has started to make a lower pitched noise during low speed acceleration, for example, pulling away from the house. It's probably the rear motor in you car too, to be honest. It sounds like a jet engine/turbine. Now, under hard acceleration, perfectly fine. But cruising/regular driving, it better be as close to silent as possible.

The fix for this in my case is documented here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5009916/

There's also a lengthy preceding thread documenting the trials and tribulations leading to it finally getting resolved, but I'd skip to just getting the penthouse perimeter seal repaired / replaced (or simply installed as it should have been in the first place).