Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hankook tyres - how many miles would you expect from them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done 11,000 miles in my model Y and I am just at the point of needing to replace my rear tyres, I will probably take them to 12k.. I think I may have been 'enjoying' the car a little too much!! The fronts have much more life left in them thankfully.

£204 each fitted from a local independent for anyone that is interested.

My Model 3LR* was at 20k miles with 3.5mm rear/3mm fronts when I changed 19" Hankooks in August. Not strictly necessary but I am swapping cars soon so I reasoned that I might as well get some use from them in the wetter Autumn/winter weather. Halfords were the cheapest with identical T version OEM's on offer at 20% discount - below £180 ea, fitted & available within 24 hours.

(*acceleration boost but I normally only use that when overtaking so not particularly aggressive tyre wear. I'm sure I could have got into the high 20's)

The Model Y eats through rear tread. There are a few things to consider. You can always rotate from front to back and so forth. If you have even wear on the tread, you can just purchase two at a time to replace the rear. I find that I can run the fronts for a while while replacing the rears 2 to 1. Our local company has helped with pro rating the additional purchases. It's very similar to having a performance rear wheel drive vehicle.

Reactions: munkypuzel
I'm now on 4.5mm all round after 11000 miles in 10 months. Swapped front to rear at about 6k miles. I believe they have been wearing slower since we got out of the heat of summer (probably quite an obvious statement)

Is it me or are the Hankooks quite expensive? On black circles plenty of some brands (e.g. Continental SportContact 5) cheaper. Obviously they don't have the sound deadening in the Tesla Hankooks but how much difference does that really make? If i had to buy 4 tyres right now I might be tempted by the Toyo Proxes Sport SUV. They are £40 a corner cheaper and actually rated as quieter…

Is it me or are the Hankooks quite expensive? On black circles plenty of some brands (e.g. Continental SportContact 5) cheaper. Obviously they don't have the sound deadening in the Tesla Hankooks but how much difference does that really make? If i had to buy 4 tyres right now I might be tempted by the Toyo Proxes Sport SUV. They are £40 a corner cheaper and actually rated as quieter…
I think if they are not made for EV you are taking a risk if putting huge weight on the sidewalls. Some of the normal SUV tires may not be right fot for the EVs because of the battery weight the sidewall has to carry. There are couple of threads related to this. So it is not just sound deadning but also EV tires sidewall strength can make a huge difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: Andrew_SE23
I think if they are not made for EV you are taking a risk if putting huge weight on the sidewalls. Some of the normal SUV tires may not be right fot for the EVs because of the battery weight the sidewall has to carry. There are couple of threads related to this. So it is not just sound deadning but also EV tires sidewall strength can make a huge difference.
sidewall durability has a separate index.

EV tyres have foam for "noise reduction" what's it really. all other indexes are the same

I found the Hankooks pretty squirrely in the current conditions and opted to swap out for Michelin CC2, I kept the 8k old Hankooks thinking there’d be plenty left in them but only about 4/4.5mm on front and 3/3.5mm on rear. I don’t rate them at all, they’ll go back on before lease is up but they’re not a tyre I’d pick again. And they’re expensive as others have mentioned.

Reactions: Obie
Model Y weighs 1930kg (according to a quick Google), BMW X3 1,875 to 2,085 kg so basically the same. EV tyres are clearly not necessary purely for weight. Torque maybe

Reactions: spdpsba
I got 4068 out of this one 🙁

20230119_124652.jpg