Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y headlights different between LR and P in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UrbanSplash

Nov 10, 2019
UK
4E004DE8-0DA0-4DFC-8104-FC1EEC20FEDD.jpeg
883038EE-CAD1-49C8-B9C2-5F512C56191D.jpeg
I just noticed on the UK configurator that there is a difference in the image for headlights between LR and P. Is this the case? It’s not detailed in the spec. Are there other differences?

As a side note, I think a £10k difference is a big ask in the UK. Anecdotally there seem to be far more LR orders than P. Big difference between the 3 split in LR and P. Perhaps pricing might need to be adjusted or further differentiating features.

As the owner of the P: It's certainly not worth the extra money. Unless, as I have stated before, you really like entirely pointless little spoilers. However it is in keeping with the car industry: Mercedes AMG models (not AMG line) and BMW M series (not M sports) cars always offer slightly improved performance but for vastly inflated prices.

I think in general, the none performance models are always the more sensible options to take, you never get bang for your buck with the performance but some people are sad enough (me included) to want the best of the best of the best. So I went for the P.

My bigger issue is why the P (Y) exists at all: The LR is plenty fast enough for everyone and if you really want to pay £10 grand extra for small performance increases then there is no logic at all to buying the heavier, less aerodynamic and therefore slower and less efficient Model Y when the Model 3 performance still exists.

But you also get different headlights with a YP. Perhaps? If this is the case, that’s what… a £1k ‘option’? £2k? My point is, this brings the price difference ‘down’. But what other differences might there be.

Reactions: Neilio
I think these images are renders. Seems there is a difference:

Reactions: debrooker
As the owner of the P: It's certainly not worth the extra money. Unless, as I have stated before, you really like entirely pointless little spoilers. However it is in keeping with the car industry: Mercedes AMG models (not AMG line) and BMW M series (not M sports) cars always offer slightly improved performance but for vastly inflated prices.

I think in general, the none performance models are always the more sensible options to take, you never get bang for your buck with the performance but some people are sad enough (me included) to want the best of the best of the best. So I went for the P.

My bigger issue is why the P (Y) exists at all: The LR is plenty fast enough for everyone and if you really want to pay £10 grand extra for small performance increases then there is no logic at all to buying the heavier, less aerodynamic and therefore slower and less efficient Model Y when the Model 3 performance still exists.

I agree with the above and also don't really understand the logic behind "performance" people carriers.

I used to look at the MXP configurations and saw that it would do 0-60 in some obscene time, and then wondered when on Earth you'd actually be able to make use of that without either making your other half or your kids sick or upset or both. In my experience the sensation of brutally fast EV acceleration can be quite uncomfortable for people who don't naturally like that sort of thing (i.e. rollercoaster sensations).

Insane performance is surely almost completely irrelevant on that type of car, whereas longer range is always useful.

Of course the reason it exists at all is more to do with the logic of selling than with the logic of buying. Bigger profit on the P so Tesla will be keen to offer it.

Reactions: VX Foxy
At the Berlin Giga-Fest back in October; Tesla showed off the front end of a Model Y with 'Matrix' headlights, which were projecting the words 'Tesla' onto the wall opposite. Elon then went onto to twitter to confirm that the Berlin made Model Y would have, effectively Matrix headlights.

However, the housing and bulb setup looks exactly the same as the updated headlights that were added to all models in late 2020, from M3 to MY for Europe Bound Orders.

Further research from Bjorn and other enthusiasts show that the Headlights from late 2020 onwards are made up of Pixel LED tech; but it seems that the software just isn't ready. Even a year on.

The 3rd pic below is of a Model Y in Norway from the Shanghai factory with the Pixel LED bulb. Which looks the same to me, as the Berlin showcase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 262163611_10158400794177747_5262989159332549166_n.jpg
    262163611_10158400794177747_5262989159332549166_n.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 103