Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y HVAC Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some advice on how best to deal with the service centre. I got my new Model Y on 6th March 2023 and it had some paintwork damage due to the clear coat not been put on correctly and a couple of delivery scratches which Tesla fixed quickly.

Then on the 20/05/23 the aircon system stopped working, booked it in for a service appoinment, this was then pushed back till 30/05/23 for a 2 day fix. They then changed it to 4 days, then 5 days then 7 days and finally 5pm on the 09/06/23 (Friday just gone) I collected my car. I didn't use it over the weekend and then today the aircon unit stopped working again!
They had my car for over a week claiming to be fixing the issue so it wouldn't happen again, they gave me a dirty Model 3 which I had to get cleaned as it was disgusting which I told them upon return as when I collected it they said it was the only car they had.

At no point have I been offered compensation for needing the dirty M3 cleaned, no acknowledgment over the fact I've had this car for 3 months yet its broken again. This is a complete joke and this is my 1st Tesla and wish I hadn't purchased it now. How many more times will they keep fixing this 'Lemon' of a car before they do something....

How so I bring this up with the service team when they get back to me? Also I have a disabled wife and daughter and they really stuggle getting in/out of the M3 (this is why we opted for a MY) so a MY would be a better loaner but they refused. Advice please... what rights do I have? What can I do to get Tesla Service to understand how pee'd off I am at spending 56K on a car thats needed 3 repairs in 3 months!!!! Can I demand a replacement car?

There is a common misconception about Tesla being a premium brand experience, it's not what Tesla are trying to be. As an analogy, it's closer to a 25K car with a 25K battery.

In terms of compensation and rights, it really comes down to what's reasonable.

There is no right to a courtesy car nor a particular model of courtesy car, especially so when the 3 and the Y are mostly identical cars. Being polite and explaining the difficulty is likely your best option here.

As a general rule a courtesy car is usually provided when it would be unreasonable not to, but it's no guarantee.

My advice is, don't dive in with a two legged tackle, try and frame this in words that highlight what would be reasonable. Be polite, calm and friendly, it works far better.

I do understand how frustrating this situation is.

As to the fault, without knowing more specifics it's difficult to judge. You are usually sent a breakdown of the parts and work to be carried out, what parts did it say was replaced and what is their current plan of action? No air con could be anything from a sensor through to the heat pump or more. It would be unlucky, but there could be two unrelated faults.

You're final option could be to reject the car, stating it is unfit and has a manufacturing defect that's unresolved. However, this requires you to have given the manufacturer reasonable chance to repair. Again, what's reasonable depends on the detail. The delays might have been due to unavailability of parts that was outside of Tesla's control.

Regarding the dirty courtesy car. I presume you took photos before it was cleaned, you will need these. Did you inform Tesla before having it cleaned. Did you give them the chance to rectify it and were they unable to or refused, how unreasonable was it's condition. You could raise a formal complaint including any answers to these. But do weigh up when you'd want to do this, it might be better to pursue this after the other issues.

Hope this gets sorted soon for you.

You're final option could be to reject the car, stating it is unfit and has a manufacturing defect that's unresolved. However, this requires you to have given the manufacturer reasonable chance to repair.
They had the chance to repair it. After 30 days and before 6 months you have the final right to reject a new vehicle if the dealer/manufacturer has had a chance to repair the fault and fails.

Thank you both for the advice. I plan to be calm when dealing with the service team, shouting at someone never works.

I think my best option willl be to explain to them that I will give them another chance to repair the fault, however should the car break again then I will be looking to reject the car under the sale of goods act (or whatever it is now). I don't think 3 fixes in 3 months is right for a car thats got less than 2.5K miles on it and is 3 months old, I will explain this before and ask them what they will do if it fails again.

As for the M3 and MY basically the same car, its about the hight of the car as getting in/out of a M3 is more difficult for my disabled wife & child due to it been low to the ground.

They had the chance to repair it. After 30 days and before 6 months you have the final right to reject a new vehicle if the dealer/manufacturer has had a chance to repair the fault and fails.
Yes I would be looking at this option especially given that the price of the Y is about £5k cheaper than a month ago, at a minimum I would be demanding compensation, unfortunately it needs to be escalated beyond the service team, I think the service team catch the flak from angry customers but they often don't have the ability to do anything beyond their service work.

Their service department should not have given you a dirty car, when I managed to get a courtesy car the person went and made sure it was clean before giving it to me, its just a lack of thoughtfulness from that service branch.