Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
Although the Model 3 requires minimal maintenance, I've found one thing that largely seems to have been overlooked.
The intakes below the front bumper when open , allow unfiltered air to pass over the fins of the aircon radiators. But unlike on my previous cars, where they were vertically mounted and most of the dirt would fall off due to gravity, these are mounted at an angle under the frunk and so retain all the leaves, straw and crap.
I found this useful video online describing the access and cleaning process.
I cleaned mine yesterday.. attached are the photos of what I found.
I used a setsquare, but anything long and flat would do, vacuuming out the detritus ( the nozzle isn't nearly think or long enough to reach it all) followed by a long thin ish bottle brush to brush the remaining dust away.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20240128_144553.jpg
    20240128_144553.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 20240128_144601.jpg
    20240128_144601.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20240128_144313.jpg
    20240128_144313.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 80
Although the Model 3 requires minimal maintenance, I've found one thing that largely seems to have been overlooked.
The intakes below the front bumper when open , allow unfiltered air to pass over the fins of the aircon radiators. But unlike on my previous cars, where they were vertically mounted and most of the dirt would fall off due to gravity, these are mounted at an angle under the frunk and so retain all the leaves, straw and crap.
I found this useful video online describing the access and cleaning process.
I cleaned mine yesterday.. attached are the photos of what I found.
I used a setsquare, but anything long and flat would do, vacuuming out the detritus ( the nozzle isn't nearly think or long enough to reach it all) followed by a long thin ish bottle brush to brush the remaining dust away.
Hope this helps.
Would the crap blow out? I’ve got a powerful dog drier with a flexi nozzle that clears stuff from most awkward places

Would the crap blow out? I’ve got a powerful dog drier with a flexi nozzle that clears stuff from most awkward places
Possibly but you're left with all of it at the bottom of the radiator slope with no way of getting at it to clean it out. As far as I can figure the only time the louvres open is when the aircon is on and drawing air in through them. It would be useful to have a coarse filter just behind the louvres.

Reactions: Dilly
You can buy a new grille that fits over the existing grille and its virtually impossible to spot it visually, this has a fine mesh screen on the inside which prevents the leaves getting in there. This will undoubtedly extend the life of the condenser as leaves hold moisture and they gather up against the condenser - and like a sponge that moisture promotes corrosion.
They are super cheap too around £35

I just knew it... they sold me on this whole "low maintenance" lie and now I have to remove leaves from the air intake... when all I had to do before was change oil, change oil filter, change out spark plugs, adjust the timing belt, tune up the pistons, replace the manifold gasket... 😆

All kidding aside, thanks for the tip. This is good to know!

I just knew it... they sold me on this whole "low maintenance" lie and now I have to remove leaves from the air intake... when all I had to do before was change oil, change oil filter, change out spark plugs, adjust the timing belt, tune up the pistons, replace the manifold gasket... 😆

All kidding aside, thanks for the tip. This is good to know!
Welcome Mike to the UK site - refreshing to have a contribution from the USA that joins in with our sense of humour, rather than telling Brits we are wrong or how we should do things.

Buy a Tesla they said.
Low maintenance they said.
One week after owning the car I'm dismantling rear lights and baking them in the oven to remove "normal condensation" and then sealing the top joint properly.

I love it really.
😝

Anyway, I did this leaf vent thing and there were four leaves right down in there. Nice.

The most satisfying (and difficult) one was filter replacements. Made even harder being on the driver's side in the UK. My mum's Audi filter is literally like opening the glove box. Why Tesla. Why.

Any more weird bits I can clean?

The most satisfying (and difficult) one was filter replacements. Made even harder being on the driver's side in the UK. My mum's Audi filter is literally like opening the glove box. Why Tesla. Why.
Having a bad back and difficulty doing contortions I decided not to attempt this myself after watching the YouTube how-to videos. In four+ years it's the only paid service we've had done on our M3P. £53.76 for filters and labour (including VAT) done on our driveway by mobile service seemed worth it to me. Saving £30 vs back pain and the inevitable cursing life attempting it on my own seemed an easy choice. Other younger, more agile and handy people will have a different view no doubt.

The mobile service guy did make it look easy....

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
IF I ever end up doing it myself and not getting Tesla to do it, I would definitely be installing the aftermarket magnetic cover so future filter changes would be pretty painless.

What I should do really is get that kit in so next time I have the car serviced I can bung the tech a tenner and ask him to swap it out for me.

IF I ever end up doing it myself and not getting Tesla to do it, I would definitely be installing the aftermarket magnetic cover so future filter changes would be pretty painless.

What I should do really is get that kit in so next time I have the car serviced I can bung the tech a tenner and ask him to swap it out for me.
If you mean magnetic cover for the filter box I found that step easiest of them all. I would question whether magnetic would give a lasting and secure enough hold for what needs to be an air-sealed unit. Doesn't seem worth it IMO. It's the position and steps to get to the filter that make this process difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Welcome Mike to the UK site - refreshing to have a contribution from the USA that joins in with our sense of humour, rather than telling Brits we are wrong or how we should do things.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I'm from Europe originally but yes, telling the world how to do things is kind of our thing here. We sprinkle a little bit of criticisms here and there, drop a missile from time to time, and we're very generous with our hypocrisy. In fact, that may be our largest export. 😆

We sprinkle a little bit of criticisms here and there, drop a missile from time to time, and we're very generous with our hypocrisy. In fact, that may be our largest export. 😆
There is always an unlimited supply of USA Grade A+ Hypocrisy (and I'm from the USA). :cool:

This is a great tip and I can't wait to see how many leaves and maybe pine needles and even some critters have taken up residence in a place I have never looked.

Reactions: MikeChicago
I just completed the second filter change sourced from Amazon on my early 2020 SR+. What with that screw high up under the dash just waiting to fall into Never Never land under the carpet and the impossible space to slide in the filters not to mention knocking all the gunk off the old ones in to the heater chamber before they are out.
This filter housing must have been designed by persons from the European ICE car industry as modern engines are always designed to be completely inaccessible for maintenance. Just look at how you access the cam chain on BMW's! :oops:

The cabin filters are the same in many cars, my previous Focus RS was even worse to do but it was on the passenger side so no pedals in the way.
I changed my filters a couple of weeks ago, I only took the lowest section of trim out - the bit with the speaker and light in, I didn't remove the other trim piece or the air duct and i found it a doddle to swap the filters out - well all except the position you have to lie in order to get into the small space.

The old filters were pretty manky and my car has only done 9800 miles and always parked in a garage - so no parking under trees and leaves getting in - lots of debris, replaced with Hepa filters plus added a pre filter to the top of the air intake, added the aftermarket trim cover and also fitted the aftermarket rubber seal to the underside of the bonnet - so it seals up to the scuttle panel/ tub trim.

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits