Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - HW4 - Camera Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a new 2023 Model Y with HW4 and noticed that the camera system is inaccurate.

At first it looked like the side views (turn signals) show cars significantly further away than they are, but soon I realized the video is lagging. Vehicles actually passed me while the turn signal system was still showing the vehicle that passed was still behind me. I'd say it was about a good 30 to 45 second lag between the time the vehicle passed me and when the camera turn signal system shows the car passing me.

I reported it to the sales associate. Anyone else experiencing this? Seems to me this is a major safety hazard.

I test drove a new 2023 Model Y with HW4 and noticed that the camera system is inaccurate.

At first it looked like the side views (turn signals) show cars significantly further away than they are, but soon I realized the video is lagging. Vehicles actually passed me while the turn signal system was still showing the vehicle that passed was still behind me. I'd say it was about a good 30 to 45 second lag between the time the vehicle passed me and when the camera turn signal system shows the car passing me.

I reported it to the sales associate. Anyone else experiencing this? Seems to me this is a major safety hazard.
Attempt number two after two days?

A safety hazard you say?

Like, does that mean you have no eyes to see around you, to use the side view mirror (that’s still) on the car? Suddenly, you have no clue into driving any car without camera system?

You should really rethink your choice of words. 30 to 45 seconds is far too long to even still be doing a turn or lane change, let alone lag in a video for it.

If the associate gets back to you, let us know what they say. I agree it is a safety hazard. If the cameras weren't meant to be used, why on earth would they be on the car? Since they are on the car, they better be accurate!

Maybe a calibration will set the cameras straight.

If the associate gets back to you, let us know what they say. I agree it is a safety hazard. If the cameras weren't meant to be used, why on earth would they be on the car? Since they are on the car, they better be accurate!

Maybe a calibration will set the cameras straight.
Until the robotaxis are driving you around, having a camera or not, decent or terrible, does not absolve you of having basic driving skill.

They are "aids," not replacements.

Until the robotaxis are driving you around, having a camera or not, decent or terrible, does not absolve you of having basic driving skill.

Not debating if the cameras are replacements to using common sense. The cameras on a $50K should be fully functional. For example, no one would debate that a reverse camera showing a vehicle farther away than it actually is isn't a safety hazard, it is. Using the vehicles cameras != lacking basic driving skill. I (and many others) purchase modern vehicles for CONVENIENCE and SAFETY.

Reactions: EnjoyDriving
Not debating if the cameras are replacements to using common sense. The cameras on a $50K should be fully functional. For example, no one would debate that a reverse camera showing a vehicle farther away than it actually is isn't a safety hazard, it is. Using the vehicles cameras != lacking basic driving skill. I (and many others) purchase modern vehicles for CONVENIENCE and SAFETY.
The camera are no different from the side view mirrors in terms of perspective. You don’t rely solely on it because you might misjudged the distance.

Safety can only increase with an aid, not decrease. They don’t block your view out the windows. They don’t replace the various mirrors we’ve come to expect (not yet anyway). They aren’t blinders forcing you to only see the screen. They don’t prevent you from driving the car as any normal car without cameras,

Therefore claiming it’s a safety issue immediately is the same as claiming you’re lacking basic driving skills.

The camera are no different from the side view mirrors in terms of perspective. You don’t rely solely on it because you might misjudged the distance.

Safety can only increase with an aid, not decrease. They don’t block your view out the windows. They don’t replace the various mirrors we’ve come to expect (not yet anyway). They aren’t blinders forcing you to only see the screen. They don’t prevent you from driving the car as any normal car without cameras,

Therefore claiming it’s a safety issue immediately is the same as claiming you’re lacking basic driving skills.
We will have to agree to disagree.

The repeater cameras are an aid, but having them lagging by 30s like the OP suggests definitely does not increase safety. I would be lacking basic driving skills if I saw that my camera was lagging heavily (deeming them a safety hazard to use), then proceeded to continue using it instead of using my mirrors.

Regardless, every part of a $50K car better be fully functioning. I am glad to say most issues with my cars have been resolved by Tesla Service, but only after fighting tooth and nail to get it done. Nonetheless, still love my cars!

Thanks for sharing, good to know. I'm still waiting for MY2024 to be released.
Attempt number two after two days?

A safety hazard you say?

Like, does that mean you have no eyes to see around you, to use the side view mirror (that’s still) on the car? Suddenly, you have no clue into driving any car without camera system?

You should really rethink your choice of words. 30 to 45 seconds is far too long to even still be doing a turn or lane change, let alone lag in a video for it.

I never heard back from the sales associate regarding the issue, but I'm not surprised since I told him I would wait for the 2024 models to arrive.

Fact is that Tesla supplies it as a safety feature and therefore I expect to be able to use and rely on it. My current truck has the same feature and I use it all the time. If it's a wrong to use, then why not proclaim anyone who uses Autopilot/FSD as persons who don't know how to drive either? LOL

The good news is a few members have noted they do not experience the issue so maybe the vehicle was defective. I hope they fix the kinks in HW4 by the time the 2024 models go on sale. I'm leaning towards a 2024 Model 3, the Y has way too much body roll for my taste.

Reactions: EnjoyDriving
Most importantly, Thanks to OP for sharing 👏, and this is exactly what these forums being here for.

1) OP simply points out a possible defect (could be a lemon in his case, who knows), as this topic says, so it clearly has nothing to do with his driving skills
2) If the reported defect does exist, I'd be seriously worried in using the "full self-driving"

Question for OP - when the video lag was happening, did it also show up in the driving display (the graph showing cars around you)?

Once again, Thank you for sharing, and I will pay extra attention to mine. 🙏

Last edited:
Most importantly, Thanks to OP for sharing 👏, and this is exactly what these forums being here for.

1) OP simply points out a possible defect (could be a lemon in his case, who knows), as this topic says, so it clearly has nothing to do with his driving skills
2) If the reported defect does exist, I'd be seriously worried in using the "full self-driving"

Question for OP - when the video lag was happening, did it also show up in the driving display (the graph showing cars around you)?

I previously owned a 2020 M3P and love it except for two issues that were the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. 1. excessively loud highway speed wind noise (average daily highway commute of 60miles at around 70-85mph) and A/C not being able to keep up with Florida heat (even with top of the line Xpel carbon tint at 35% all around including roof, but no windshield). 18 months into ownership I was contacted by CarMax about buying my car and a few weeks later I sold it for a small profit with the intent on getting a Y when prices came back down to normal. I've become spoiled by the electronics in my current truck which has uss, radar, 360 camera, cross traffic and turn signal video display which I find very convenient, and it beeps when objects like cars, curbs, etc are too close similar to how my M3P did and maybe even better.

All that said my test drive was focused on the comfort suspension, A/C performance, and wind noise. I didn't care much about the infotainment system or autopilot as I assumed it would only be better than before. I noticed the video lag when I was using the turn signals and it happened every time. Now that I jog my memory the car did not beep either when cars were passing me with the turn signal on, I'm guessing because it no longer has uss and the vision system thought the passing cars were behind me instead of passing me. I already know it won't have 360 cam which is a bummer, but not deal breaker. I did not evaluate the normal driving display other than it looks alot cooler than before with rainbow colors. I want to test drive a MYP to see if it removes or reduce the body roll to an acceptable minimum. I mean the Y I test drove on 20's rolled (side to side rocking) more than my compact pickup truck, but to be fair my truck is designed to be a sporty urban adventure vehicle not your typical pickup truck.

I may also test drive the Ioniq 6, ID4, and maybe a 2020 Taycan, but I'm not fond of buying a used car especially not an EV where warranty coverage is even more critical imo.

When someone uses hyperbole like:

I'd say it was about a good 30 to 45 second lag between the time the vehicle passed me and when the camera turn signal system shows the car passing me.

Its very hard to take anything else they are saying seriously. This is like someone lifting something and saying "Man that weighed a TON!" or something. A number that is virtually impossible to anywhere close to being accurate.

LOL The thing to note, which everyone else understood, is vehicles actually passed me and and the display still showed them as driving up behind me. If I did not also check the rear view mirrors I could have ended up in a collision which makes it a safety hazard. The tech is not that advanced anymore, even my truck has it and does it reliably. I'm going to test drive a MYP when one is available mainly to see if the body roll is acceptable (yes that is subjective and I'm comparing it to my compact truck), but I'll report back if it also has the turn signal video lag issue.

LOL The thing to note, which everyone else understood, is vehicles actually passed me and and the display still showed them as driving up behind me

That statement is quite a bit different than "30 to 45 seconds" (orders of magnitude different). That could be 2-3 seconds (not 30-45 seconds), and would make the rest of your post more relatable / able to take seriously.

That statement is quite a bit different than "30 to 45 seconds" (orders of magnitude different). That could be 2-3 seconds (not 30-45 seconds), and would make the rest of your post more relatable / able to take seriously.

We could nit pick every thing a person says and find flaws in them, for instance your assertion of 2-3 seconds by your argument would make you hard to take you seriously. In most normal driving situations it will take more than 3 seconds to overtake another vehicle unless the overtaking vehicle is moving at a speed much greater than the vehicle it was overtaking. Based on the 3 second rule the time delay was probably close to 15-20 seconds. The 3 second rule assumes a vehicle is 3 car lengths behind.. so it would take 3 seconds to match and then more seconds to move ahead.. the video is still showing that vehicle behind the Y after the vehicle has already passed and well ahead of me so then you apply another 3 second rule process the video catch up time. Hope that makes you feel better that your probably right it was less than 30 seconds :D