Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Initial Impressions - Delights, surprises, disappointments and concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a 23 Model Y without a test drive (no test drive available, but have test driven an older MY 3 some time back). Some initial perspectives after a week.

Delights:
1. Very spacious- doesn’t look like it from outside. Leg room and head room are pretty good.
2. Smooth app experience in-car and on phone
3. Plenty of storage

Surprises:
1. Ride quality is not bad at all. Much better than the Model 3. Comparable to other EVs. Not as soft as Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that we have but does soak up bumps reasonably well
2. Good turning radius for a car of its size

Disappointments/Annoyance
1. Regen levels are not adjustable
2. No 360 view for a 65K+ car in 2023
3. Not the best implementation of blind spot safety. No visual or audible alerts with turn signals on for the left side. Audible when there is a car in blind spot is the safest implementation despite minor annoyance. Now I have to get used to looking right and then looking left to turn.

Concerns:
1. Heavy low frequency resonance- just figuring out this is a problem that many are facing - just hoping it’s fixable and not really a torsional rigidity design flaw - Set up service appointment in 2 weeks
2. No rear safety- no cross traffic alerts, no auto brake for objects or pedestrians- almost ran into another reversing BMW but fortunately that car had better tech to stop 😂
3. . Lane departure warning / assistance doesn’t work reliably. Low end cars give warning when straddling or drifting lanes.

Overall well built car and drives well. But certainly some concerns and disappointments.

Tesla_Model_Y_Dual_Motor_Solid_Black_(4).jpg

"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Solid Black (4)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail

Not the best implementation of blind spot safety. No visual or audible alerts with turn signals on for the left side. Audible when there is a car in blind spot is the safest implementation despite minor annoyance. Now I have to get used to looking right and then looking left to turn.
Agreed; you can add the side repeater camera videos to the Tesla screen when backing up and also when signaling before making a lane change or a turn.

Bought a 23 Model Y without a test drive (no test drive available, but have test driven an older MY 3 some time back). Some initial perspectives after a week.

Delights:
1. Very spacious- doesn’t look like it from outside. Leg room and head room are pretty good.
3. Plenty of storage

Surprises:
1. Ride quality is not bad at all. Much better than the Model 3. Comparable to other EVs. Not as soft as Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that we have but does soak up bumps reasonably well

3. Not the best implementation of blind spot safety. No visual or audible alerts with turn signals on for the left side. Audible when there is a car in blind spot is the safest implementation despite minor annoyance. Now I have to get used to looking right and then looking left to turn.

Concerns:
1. Heavy low frequency resonance- just figuring out this is a problem that many are facing - just hoping it’s fixable and not really a torsional rigidity design flaw - Set up service appointment in 2 weeks
2. No rear safety- no cross traffic alerts, no auto brake for objects or pedestrians- almost ran into another reversing BMW but fortunately that car had better tech to stop 😂
3. . Lane departure warning / assistance doesn’t work reliably. Low end cars give warning when straddling or drifting lanes.

Overall well built car and drives well. But certainly some concerns and disappointments.
You can actually enable lane departure warning in setup. Mine screams every time I sway into a lane.

Welcome!

You can adjust regen levels if you buy the S3XY Buttons. But they are not cheap.

I bought wide-angle side mirrors. You can get them for under $50 now. No more blind spots!

Yes, it's a bummer we have to go to after-market to fix stuff like this. Oh well.

Lane departure warning / assistance doesn’t work reliably. Low end cars give warning when straddling or drifting lanes.
I agree. Lane departure warning is one of the most critical safety features in modern cars and I find my Y is unreliable.

A few years ago I was driving a rented Toyota on a business trip and fell asleep at the wheel on the 405 in Los Angeles. The Toyotas lane departure warning woke me up and possibly saved me from an accident.

On the Y, sometimes lane departure warning screams, but most times it just lets the car roll over lane markings. It is certainly not a feature I can depend upon.

Reactions: tmartin and voxel

Delights:
3. Plenty of storage

Surprises:

Concerns:

Try adjusting the trunk stoppers then do the vinyl tubing method for the boominess. It has tightened up that low boom for me with minimal cost/effort.

Reactions: BitJam
Lane departure warning is one of the most critical safety features in modern cars and I find my Y is unreliable...On the Y, sometimes lane departure warning screams, but most times it just lets the car roll over lane markings. It is certainly not a feature I can depend upon.
Heartily agree. I would actually downgrade lane departure and blind spot warnings as "not present." The reason is that LKA barely ever nudges my car back in the lane. And blind spot lacks sufficient natural situational awareness alerts to provide any value.

I have been trying to test most of the features and warnings of my MY so I am familiar when I need them. I accidentally "tested" blind spot warnings last night when I accidentally started a lane change into a lane with a car present. The car said nothing and I saw the car before leaving my lane. Our Palisade would have gone ballistic in this case, if I would even have made the mistake. The Palisade, with warnings in both the mirror and HUD would probably have prevented me from even thinking about the change at that point. Then, when the blinker went on, the Palisade would have sounded loud alerts and pushed back hard. I noticed nothing on the Tesla until after the fact when I looked over at my screen to see the red highlights.

Heartily agree. I would actually downgrade lane departure and blind spot warnings as "not present." The reason is that LKA barely ever nudges my car back in the lane. And blind spot lacks sufficient natural situational awareness alerts to provide any value.

I have been trying to test most of the features and warnings of my MY so I am familiar when I need them. I accidentally "tested" blind spot warnings last night when I accidentally started a lane change into a lane with a car present. The car said nothing and I saw the car before leaving my lane. Our Palisade would have gone ballistic in this case, if I would even have made the mistake. The Palisade, with warnings in both the mirror and HUD would probably have prevented me from even thinking about the change at that point. Then, when the blinker went on, the Palisade would have sounded loud alerts and pushed back hard. I noticed nothing on the Tesla until after the fact when I looked over at my screen to see the red highlights.
I agree--I've had inconsistent lane departure warnings too.

Took delivery last week and yes, I find the LD severely lacking. I couldn’t figure out if it was just unreliable or I wasn’t triggering it correctly.

Hopefully parking distance comes soon, it’s been a pain dealing with parallel parking.

😂 look both ways for crossing but only in the direction and over my shoulder for turns
What about pedestrians or cyclists? If you’re turning right and a pedestrian or bicycle approaches from the left it could be an issue, especially for the other person. If you are turning right on red and don’t check, you’re being negligent. Should be checking both ways no matter which direction you’re turning.

Another newb here. Only about 500 miles in the 3 months I've had my 2022 MY. I really love the car but share many of the disappointments discussed here such as lane departure, lack of front camera, and no overhead view with surroundings. I have come to expect features like this because the cars I have driven for the past 10 or so years have included them.

In addition to these "first world" type complaints I have found some basic ergonomic items lacking. For example, I have trouble finding the door handles in the dark because they are flush and nearly car color. Once located the handles cannot be opened with one or two fingers like most other modern cars.

The disappointments have not detracted much from my enjoyment of this car, and many can be addressed with adjustments and aftermarket parts. I have made quite a few purchases of good quality, easy to install parts and am working on adjusting the car and myself to the car.

Reactions: Electroman and AJ..

I'm coming from a Kia Niro and a Lexus IS250 FSport. Both cars had the lights on the mirrors. Both cars would beep at you if you turned your turn signal on and there was a car in your blind spot. Honestly I found the adjustment jarring at first but I think I've nailed it down pretty good.

First make sure your mirrors are set up correctly. You shouldn't see the sides of your car at all. This is the most important thing. Then before you start a lane change I have my camera mirror set up to show up in the middle of the screen. The top left corner was not as comfortable for me since it obstructs the car visualization. The procedure is as follows:

Look at mirror (L or R depending on direction of lane change) > Turn signal on in desired direction > Look at car screen and ensure the blindspot camera shows no vehicle then glance at car visualization and ensure no red car visible > Look at mirror one last time and if in the clear make the change. The car does show the cars next to you pretty reliably same for the cameras. It's a visual system rather than relying on a sound like Pavlov's dog. That said I do wish we had the little light in the mirrors but I understand Tesla wants everything to be on the center display

Another newb here. Only about 500 miles in the 3 months I've had my 2022 MY. I really love the car but share many of the disappointments discussed here such as lane departure, lack of front camera, and no overhead view with surroundings. I have come to expect features like this because the cars I have driven for the past 10 or so years have included them.

In addition to these "first world" type complaints I have found some basic ergonomic items lacking. For example, I have trouble finding the door handles in the dark because they are flush and nearly car color. Once located the handles cannot be opened with one or two fingers like most other modern cars.

The disappointments have not detracted much from my enjoyment of this car, and many can be addressed with adjustments and aftermarket parts. I have made quite a few purchases of good quality, easy to install parts and am working on adjusting the car and myself to the car.
How are you opening your door handle? It's supposed to be left thumb on left side of car and then the rest of your hand comfortably grabs the handle. Vice versa for the right side of the car.

For example, I have trouble finding the door handles in the dark because they are flush and nearly car color. Once located the handles cannot be opened with one or two fingers like most other modern cars.
I got aftermarket door handles to solve these problems. I love them! They look great, they make my life easier, and other people are able to open the doors (from the outside) without instruction.

Be careful with the alignment when you put them on. You need to give them 24 hours for the adhesive to really set. I ended up using 3M Adhesion Promoter.

Likewise, as I said in a post above, I use aftermarket wide angle side mirrors. They eliminate the blind spots. Yes, it sucks that we have to fix things like this with aftermarket products. Oh well.