Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y initial impressions after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the delivery of my first electric car, Tesla model YLR on 2/4. After almost a week with the car, here are my impressions.

-Coming from busy instrument clusters of Audis and BMW’s, the interior is plain and simple and has grown on me. I still think there should be at least a small screen in front of the driver. I still miss the awesome Audi interiors though.

-The acceleration on this is amazing! Just puts a smile to my face when I hit go.

-Very roomy interior in comparison to my prior car Audi Q7. It looks small but the Model y is pretty big inside. Very comfortable and quiet inside. Love the frunk

-regenerative braking: when we drove the car home, my wife was following me and said how come I rarely hit brakes and she didn’t see the brake lights come on. That freaked me out so I changed it to “creep” mode and after a week of driving I am more comfortable with the regenerative braking. One pedal driving is a game changer in my opinion. I am still nervous and look at the screen when I lift the foot off the pedal.

-Love that I can charge at home and every morning I have a full gas tank

Negatives:

-Safety- this may be just me but Tesla touts safety but there is no rear traffic cross alerts. Without the USS, and no park distance control..things are hard for no reason. My garage is super packed and I have my wife guiding me in and out of the garage. On a 60k car, this should be a standard. I know Tesla vision is coming but what about rear traffic cross alerts. Lane assist is also a miss for me. I have to yet hear a chime on lane assist, maybe it’s the settings but I don’t hear any audible. I have not looked if the car next to me turns red but if you are trying to change lanes..but it’s not as simple as adding a sign or lights on mirrors like other cars. Overall the car may be safe but 20k corollas have more safety features

-First few days the battery drained 10% in a day or so, played with the settings and it’s ok now(1-2% drain) but not many gas cars lose gas while doing nothing. I know it is not a big deal and battery work differently but if you were to leave your car in an airport parking lot for a 40 day vacation not sure how much charge would be left.

-The Gemini wheel covers are ugly. Look like 1990s Nissan Sentra wheel covers. No clue why a 60k car can’t have a good looking set of covers

-sunroof: I have had sunroofs since I was 16..so feels a little weird with not having the option to
Open the roof. Yes glass roof is awesome but 70s and open sunroof in a spring day is something of a life necessity

-Minor cost cutting like not giving a license plate frame, or included mobile charger is a shame. On a 60k car this should be standard. The carpeted floor mats are also of cheap quality.

Overall I am really happy with the car and love driving it. But some lack of features especially park distance control make me feel handicapped for no reason..feels like I have gone back to 90s when had to have your head on a swivel when backing out or parking. At age 45 that’s hard to do than age 16.

Tesla_Model_Y_Classic-Gala_2022_1X7A0411.jpg

"Tesla Model Y Classic-Gala 2022 1X7A0411" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Tesla is probably adding some form of HD-radar to the future cars but they are unlikely to be adding back USS unless they really FU with vision only parking.
HD-radar should have nothing to do with parking features.
The vision only parking features are likely tied to the FSD v.11 neural net programming. Now FSD v.11 has been with internal testers for a good while. Release notes were leaked last fall. Best guess is that once FSD v.11 is released the parking features will be released for the non-USS cars...at least one can hope. Supposedly v.11 is releasing to a limited number of FSD customers this week....but then again Elon says that all the time and so far it hasn't happened.
FSD v11 as far as we know is just merging the highway Autopilot stack with Autosteer on City Streets

FSD v11 as far as we know is just merging the highway Autopilot stack with Autosteer on City Streets
That may be all it is but Musk's recent tweet said the delay was due to changing C++ code over to NN. So it could have new NN programming that would likely be needed for vision-only parking features. Who knows??...I'm just glad I have the USS, don't have to worry about what they are doing and don't care to babysit an FSD car.

If they really can't emulate sensor capabilities with vision, they certainly won't admit it while simply refusing to retrofit the cars that don't have it, since the wording on their explanation was clear, and they would be force to either retrofit or pay the buyers for the missing feature. It's more likely that they will just keep promising that update forever, which may also include some half-baked solution as "beta" for the years to come (similar to what they are doing with FSD). Of course, the perfectly working update may be just around the corner....

My MY standard range is due for collection on Match 1st in the UK. When I checked the order status today there was a new notification warning that my car will not have USS (something I was already aware of & have accepted as the “new normal” for Tesla).
I had to click to say that I understood/accepted this, in order to proceed with the delivery.

I never received any email/sms notifications to prompt me to do the above.
I wonder if they would have cancelled the order had I not done this?

-Safety- this may be just me but Tesla touts safety but there is no rear traffic cross alerts. Without the USS, and no park distance control..things are hard for no reason. My garage is super packed and I have my wife guiding me in and out of the garage. On a 60k car, this should be a standard. I know Tesla vision is coming but what about rear traffic cross alerts. Lane assist is also a miss for me. I have to yet hear a chime on lane assist, maybe it’s the settings but I don’t hear any audible. I have not looked if the car next to me turns red but if you are trying to change lanes..but it’s not as simple as adding a sign or lights on mirrors like other cars. Overall the car may be safe but 20k corollas have more safety features

Even though this is a 5 month old post - I honestly don’t get why people continue to give Tesla a pass for not having basic safety features included.

Most, if not all mid to high tier cars after 2020 now have almost all the collision avoidance systems that Tesla does. Most are also catching up with lane keep assists and other driver assistance systems. After driving the Model 3 as an early adopter, I couldn’t give Tesla any more passes for penny pinching behavior and skipped upgrading to a Model Y or X for some of the reasons OP mentions here. Add to BCM and RCTA, no top view camera, harsh Y suspension, and continued (but largely improved) QA/paint issues, and well, V11.

And that USS to Vision transfer was just downright ridiculous (starting with the fact that they software blocked installed radars in my Model 3). Hopefully, given the history of this brand and their CEO, they walk back on that decision. But given their sales figures, it sounds unlikely. People continue to buy this 3D printed shoebox in large numbers no matter what thanks to its supercharging network. I feel like that is what did it for Tesla and continues to.

Last edited:
Come on guys keep it civil

Yes, their might be more advanced accident avoidance systems in legacy vehicles using legacy tech and it works today
But the Tesla OS code and Tesla Vision is evolving right now, the vehicle is getting even safer with each (OTA) version of code
But do remember, Tesla vehicles lead rhe industry in crash test five star rating
1689722432646.png

Be on this forum to kindly open eyes to you fact based opinions
Have civil conversations
Please

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Come on guys keep it civil

Yes, their might be more advanced accident avoidance systems in legacy vehicles using legacy tech and it works today
But the Tesla OS code and Tesla Vision is evolving right now, the vehicle is getting even safer with each (OTA) version of code
But do remember, Tesla vehicles lead rhe industry in crash test five star rating
View attachment 957534
Be on this forum to kindly open eyes to you fact based opinions
Have civil conversations
Please
Thank you. Agreed that the car technically gets better with software. It has. But a few omissions really bother me because I so wanted a model X or a Y!! Lol.

P.S. Been here 5 years. My first experience with a weird user like the one above. I reported the user. Calling anyone (over a post) what that user did is verbal assault and should be grounds for getting banned.

Even though this is a 5 month old post - I honestly don’t get why people continue to give Tesla a pass for not having basic safety features included.

Most, if not all mid to high tier cars after 2020 now have almost all the collision avoidance systems that Tesla does. Most are also catching up with lane keep assists and other driver assistance systems. After driving the Model 3 as an early adopter, I couldn’t give Tesla any more passes for penny pinching behavior and skipped upgrading to a Model Y or X for some of the reasons OP mentions here. Add to BCM and RCTA, no top view camera, harsh Y suspension, and continued (but largely improved) QA/paint issues, and well, V11.

And that USS to Vision transfer was just downright ridiculous (starting with the fact that they software blocked installed radars in my Model 3). Hopefully, given the history of this brand and their CEO, they walk back on that decision. But given their sales figures, it sounds unlikely. People continue to buy this 3D printed shoebox in large numbers no matter what thanks to its supercharging network. I feel like that is what did it for Tesla and continues to.
I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

I, too, believe that Tesla gets a pass on several fronts, due to their battery management and charging network. In a few years, when other manufacturers have caught up on the technology end, Tesla will have to improve their build quality and customer service experience. Until then, buyers put up with the inconsistencies in order to partake of the Tesla ecosystem.

I guess the reason I gave it a pass was because I wanted an electric car at 45-55k price range, having the ev credit was a bonus. There weren’t any suvs in the market at that time that fit the bill with the range. And I assumed that a car that can “summon” and potentially drive itself would be missing these items

I guess the reason I gave it a pass was because I wanted an electric car at 45-55k price range, having the ev credit was a bonus. There weren’t any suvs in the market at that time that fit the bill with the range. And I assumed that a car that can “summon” and potentially drive itself would be missing these items

I see. Thank you for your response!

How is the car working out for you, overall, with no sensors, no radar, no RCTA, and no mirror BSMS? I’m genuinely curious. Also curious how many times you actually used the summon feature.

I see. Thank you for your response!

How is the car working out for you, overall, with no sensors, no radar, no RCTA, and no mirror BSMS? I’m genuinely curious. Also curious how many times you actually used the summon feature.

well I am in my 40s and I learned to drive with no camera or sensors. My 2017 Audi q7 and 2021
X5 parking sensors really made it easy for me with all the sensors and parking aid. Going from that to a Tesla model y with no actual dependable parking sensor, it has made me drive the old fashioned way(get out of the car to see if I am close to hitting something and get back in). The car is amazing with its technology and power but a little shameful that simple features like rear cross traffic alert or sensors are missing. I don’t miss filling the gas tank! I will also not go back to any non Tesla EV unless I am 100% sure, for example we were all into bmw iX but when we test drove it, it was miles apart from a Tesla..the one pedal driving and driving dynamics were missing in the bmw ev not to mention the huge price tag.