Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seeing significant delays on their Model Y LR orders?

I ordered a Model Y LR back in October (several price increases ago). Originally, it was supposed to get delivered in April 2022, then it actually moved up to March 2022. Today, it suddenly got pushed back all the way to September 2022. :(

I ordered my model Y in Aug. I was super excited that on Dec 6th my delivery was between Dec 13th - Dec 27th. Sold my snow tires for my current vehicle that I was trading in then on Dec 7th around 11am it was bumped to Jan 26th - Feb 23. I was so so disappointed.

I ordered my model Y in august for a 12/18-12/31 arrival. Timed it to turn in my current lease which was due 1/3. Tesla has moved delivery (with assigning a vin, delivery time, filling out all registration paperwork) 4 different times within 2 hours of the delivery window! I've been using a rental for the past month because it's so late and Tesla won't reimburse rental fees. They've texted me saying the car was on the way then a few hours later saying it hasn't been made yet. This is insane!

Anyone else seeing significant delays on their Model Y LR orders?

I ordered a Model Y LR back in October (several price increases ago). Originally, it was supposed to get delivered in April 2022, then it actually moved up to March 2022. Today, it suddenly got pushed back all the way to September 2022. :(
Me too. I ordered min mid October. 2 weeks ago EDD was Feb 24-March 24. Last week got pushed back to July. 😢

Mine has gone from March to around June or July, then to April, a couple weeks ago back to March, then last week to April 1 - 29, and just checked the app again (since I don't get any notifications for any of these changes), and it says April 20 - May 18.

Mine has gone from March to around June or July, then to April, a couple weeks ago back to March, then last week to April 1 - 29, and just checked the app again (since I don't get any notifications for any of these changes), and it says April 20 - May 18.
Exact same. I ordered 2 different model y’s. One is a 5 seater with upgrade wheels and white interior, other is 7 seater base options with hitch. The 5 seater was pushed back last week from mid March to mid April. This week the 7 seater was pushed back from early March to late April. I’ve read the wheels are causing the issues but not sure on accuracy. Considering the seating and wheel configurations are the only real difference that maybe accurate.

The same jump happened last year but then went back to march timeframe. I’m curious if their EDD is tied to inventory, PO commitment, and asn’s autopopulating the dates. Then once the vendors alleviate the bottleneck or delay it readjusts again.

I’m telling myself it’s either that or they are in the process of ramping up/moving production to Giga Austin supporting the new 4680 cells!

Exact same. I ordered 2 different model y’s. One is a 5 seater with upgrade wheels and white interior, other is 7 seater base options with hitch. The 5 seater was pushed back last week from mid March to mid April. This week the 7 seater was pushed back from early March to late April. I’ve read the wheels are causing the issues but not sure on accuracy. Considering the seating and wheel configurations are the only real difference that maybe accurate.

The same jump happened last year but then went back to march timeframe. I’m curious if their EDD is tied to inventory, PO commitment, and asn’s autopopulating the dates. Then once the vendors alleviate the bottleneck or delay it readjusts again.

I’m telling myself it’s either that or they are in the process of ramping up/moving production to Giga Austin supporting the new 4680 cells!

I highly doubt it. I can't imagine the 4680 cells are ready for prime time since I haven't seen any reports of extensive testing in them, and I'd prefer not to be the guinea pig for Tesla on a new batter like all the other stuff they put out.

I highly doubt it. I can't imagine the 4680 cells are ready for prime time since I haven't seen any reports of extensive testing in them, and I'd prefer not to be the guinea pig for Tesla on a new batter like all the other stuff they put out.
Completely agree with you although tesla doesn’t seem to mind making us the guinea pigs to their unproven technology i.e. autopilot. I was mainly joking about the 4680 cell part as wishful thinking. Everything I’ve found points to 2023 at the earliest. We all know tesla performance regarding new product/technology launches. Throw in Covid supply chain constraints, now we maybe looking 2024/25. Only thing saving us here is the cost savings the 4680 is projected to bring pushing Tesla to implement faster . Like you said, the questions is testing and re-tooling needed to support production. Raw materials of the battery haven’t changed and required outer casing material has been reduced.

Completely agree with you although tesla doesn’t seem to mind making us the guinea pigs to their unproven technology i.e. autopilot. I was mainly joking about the 4680 cell part as wishful thinking. Everything I’ve found points to 2023 at the earliest. We all know tesla performance regarding new product/technology launches. Throw in Covid supply chain constraints, now we maybe looking 2024/25. Only thing saving us here is the cost savings the 4680 is projected to bring pushing Tesla to implement faster . Like you said, the questions is testing and re-tooling needed to support production. Raw materials of the battery haven’t changed and required outer casing material has been reduced.
I think it’ll be sooner to see the 4680s in use. Can’t confirm it myself, but apparently the Model Ys being produced at Texas have the 4680 structural pack. Just waiting on government approval to start selling/delivery, allegedly.

I ordered my MY with 20s on Feb 9th so I'm at the back of the bus basically lol........

I'm sure it'll say "Estimated August" for quite some time which is ok cause definitely want 4680 and hope it gets the same headlights as the MYP

Are we guaranteed Austin as we're part of this "eastern sector" Tesla is referring too?

I ordered my MY with 20s on Feb 9th so I'm at the back of the bus basically lol........

I'm sure it'll say "Estimated August" for quite some time which is ok cause definitely want 4680 and hope it gets the same headlights as the MYP

Are we guaranteed Austin as we're part of this "eastern sector" Tesla is referring too?
There are no guarantees. 😜