Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y narrowly escapes being t-boned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think the Model Y should have had their eyes open and remembered the other pedal

It's easy to be a backseat driver in this situation. But if you look at what's happening, the white car or at least its intention not to stop is only visible rather late. Plus the car recording the footage is quite close behind the Model Y. In this situation the Model Y accelerating briskly and driving evasively worked out well, but lots of theoreticals here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Exy1
The Model Y ended up putting that bus in danger, and potentially other vehicles and pedestrians ahead in the middle lane it swerved back into. It should have just braked even if that meant taking the hit. Pure luck that it's actions didn't make a far more serious accident.

Reactions: kavyboy and candida
The Model Y ended up putting that bus in danger, and potentially other vehicles and pedestrians ahead in the middle lane it swerved back into. It should have just braked even if that meant taking the hit. Pure luck that it's actions didn't make a far more serious accident.

Yes, but in the heat of the moment, your instinct isn't always to go for the break pedal, especially if you think that its still going to result in a hit/car damage/insurance premiums/injury/write off etc etc the list goes on.

If, at that split second of time you think you can make it safely around the obstacle, you do it. Not something any of us can plan for really.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but its true, none of us can plan for these things.

As im typing this, im alittle shaken.
I was making a left at an intersection, and so was the person infront of me (facing the opposite direction, so turning east while i, west). The person decided to disengage her blinkers and go straight instead as i made my turn. So many scenarios played in my head in so little time, if i brake, I'll get hit, if i continue the angle, I'll get hit slightly in the tail. So, quick thinking said: oversteer more to the left as i did the turn then quickly turn the wheel right so to leave just a tad more gap behind.
Reviewed the footage, boy was it a close one.
Im the kind who sticks by the rules (aside from that occasionally jolt of acceleration when roads are empty). Id like to think that im a safe and a defensive driver. But these things, i always play it in my head whenever i see cars on the road in realtime, for it to actually unfold and happen? and to act accordingly? Thats another story.

I truly believe that the speed and nimbleness of our vehicles saved me earlier (i drive a model 3, not a y, but same never the less). Had it been any other ice car, i dont think i would have been able to accelerate fast enough to narrowly miss that potential collision.

We can only be so careful to a certain extent, but the rest of the equation must be completed by other drivers we share the roads with.

Be safe everyone. Hoping all is well with you all.

Reactions: Lord Farquad