Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y not sleeping when charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
-5 yr Tesla driver, northern climates. Went out this morning to unplug the 2020 model Y, and the screen was in some sort of panic mode...charger maps zipping all over the pace.. with the cabin heat at 70F. (was 6F outside). Had been blowing heat all night like that.

First time occurrence. No changes in bluetooth app settings, cabin heat protections, etc..

Soft reset seemed to work.

Any opinions on what the issue was? Any similar experiences?

thanks in advance,

Did you accidentally leave the phone or the key card in the Tesla? Normally when you open the driver's door the HVAC will shut down. Is it possible someone touched the HVAC controls and set the climate control to be On after exit?

I'm experiencing the car frequently not going to 'off' when exiting and closing the driver's door, opened a service request. Screen stays on, showing all doors closed. I'm now in the habit of checking this every time I exit the vehicle. Patch is to open and close the driver's door again, that usually works, very occasionally needs a few retries.

Reactions: Juanpelota
I'm experiencing the car frequently not going to 'off' when exiting and closing the driver's door, opened a service request. Screen stays on, showing all doors closed. I'm now in the habit of checking this every time I exit the vehicle. Patch is to open and close the driver's door again, that usually works, very occasionally needs a few retries.

@frankvb , I get this sometimes as well. It seems to happen when I move my car in my driveway without putting on my seatbelt, or when stopping for the mail and driving the remaining 300ft to my parking without my seatbelt. (I know, I should put it on for that second case...). I think the car has trouble figuring out that you're done driving when you don't buckle up. There might be other cases but that is definitely one. I haven't done a service request yet because I was gathering evidence first. It's easy to see when it happens as the driving lights stay on in that case (DRL, in Canada).

I'm curious about sleep mode.
a) how do you know when the car is sleeping, other than using TeslaFi?
b) when I park the car in my garage and plug it in, the screen shows the charging detail. Do I need to power off the screen somehow to get it to sleep?

Frequently, if I go back to the garage hours later, a fan is running. Interior cooling is not on, (to my knowledge). And finally, what's the value of sleep mode? Power savings? battery life?

Thanks!

If you are besides the car when it goes to sleep, you'll hear a loud click from the high voltage contactor. If you listen carefully and it's silent around, you can tell whether a coolant pump is running (awake) or not (asleep). Otherwise, there's no way to tell. Starting your mobile app on your phone will wake the car up so that's no good.
While the car is charging, it will not go to sleep. If sentry mode is on, it will not go to sleep. There are a few other reasons to not sleep... The car can also wake up by itself for a few reasons, like charging the 12V battery, cooling the car (cabin overheat protection) etc... You have nothing special to do, just don't touch the car and it will eventually sleep. Even plugged, it makes no difference, once the charging is finished it will soon after sleep.

It can take an hour or more before the car sleeps.

Benefits? "phantom drain" is much much lower, like 20w instead of 200w... It also lets the Battery Management System take voltage readings, which helps it better estimate the battery total capacity. That's about it I guess...

EDIT: Oh, the cabin fan will run for a while after you used the car to dry the evaporator and try to prevent the bad smell. That can go for longer than an hour, or so it feels, after you used the AC on a drive. While it'S doing that, it will not sleep.

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
When Sentry mode is active the Tesla vehicle never goes into sleep mode. This uses more power and prevents the battery management system from periodically measuring the open cell voltage (OCV) within the battery pack. The battery management system needs to measure the OCV to calibrate.

Thanks @GtiMart and @jcanoe - appreciate the info. I'll check the Sentry mode. We live in a new neighborhood, which isn't on the map (another topic) so my car isn't precisely certain of the home location, so when Sentry is set to be off in the home location, it may be staying on, even while in my garage.

I'm trying out the TeslaFi app and that will put the car in sleep mode. Much like a person, the car seems to have sleep cycles - sleeping for 30-45 minutes, waking, then going back to sleep again.

Thanks @GtiMart and @jcanoe - appreciate the info. I'll check the Sentry mode. We live in a new neighborhood, which isn't on the map (another topic) so my car isn't precisely certain of the home location, so when Sentry is set to be off in the home location, it may be staying on, even while in my garage.

I'm trying out the TeslaFi app and that will put the car in sleep mode. Much like a person, the car seems to have sleep cycles - sleeping for 30-45 minutes, waking, then going back to sleep again.
Recently my Model Y has been waking up every hour or so, during the day time, while parked inside my garage. (I have the Amazon Echo Auto device plugged into the 12V accessory port and the Alexa phone app sends me a notification on my phone every time the Model Y powers on the 12V accessory port.) I believe this is due to the Model Y periodically running the coolant pump to cool the battery pack as the temperature inside the Model Y inside my garage has been as high as 94F.

Reactions: KDeanCville
Recently my Model Y has been waking up every hour or so, during the day time, while parked inside my garage. (I have the Amazon Echo Auto device plugged into the 12V accessory port and the Alexa phone app sends me a notification on my phone every time the Model Y powers on the 12V accessory port.) I believe this is due to the Model Y periodically running the coolant pump to cool the battery pack as the temperature inside the Model Y inside my garage has been as high as 94F.
Interesting! I don't have the Amazon Echo Auto device (but might want to check that out). I do have a USB drive connected in the glove box to capture videos but that's the only 'extra' device connected. I understand fully that using the Tesla app on my phone will wake it. So far, the TeslaFi site is the only way I've found to confirm sleep mode, and record/track it.

@KDeanCville , TeslaFi will not help your car sleep. You can use it to tell if the car is asleep and when. Just don't screw up the configuration because it could prevent the car from sleeping.
Hi @GtiMart - I've used TeslaFi to put the car to sleep - and it worked just fine. I've not changed any configuration, just hit the pause like button to tell it to sleep and it's been snoozing very nicely. In my case, it definitely appears to have put the car to sleep.

There is just no way it does that because there is no function in the Tesla api to tell the car to sleep. The functionality you refer to simply tells teslafi to stop calling the tesla api immediately (instead of after x minutes as configured) so the car can eventually sleep. Most api calls will wake the car...

Reactions: frankvb