Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y on the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it’s all relative, at least in my case. Before the MYP, I drove minivans for around 14 years, so it’s far and away the most capable car I’ve ever owned. It’s also my only car so if I want to drive on a track it’s my only option. Now compared to others, my track driving is extremely tame (I’ve never come close to overheating anything), but I had fun driving on a track at an HDPE. I’m sure if I had experience in light weight sporty cars, the MYP wouldn’t be up to par, but for what it is I enjoyed my runs around a track with it.
Well in that case I’m glad you’re having fun! I haven’t seen a Model Y at any of our events yet, but there have been a couple M3Ps and it’s just hilarious to watch them. They‘re so fast, and one guy is so aggressive with his braking that he can make the front end scrape the ground a touch.

At one event last summer someone brought a Mach E GT. Man that thing just looked wrong going around the track. It looked heavy in the way that it moved. Because it is.

Well in that case I’m glad you’re having fun! I haven’t seen a Model Y at any of our events yet, but there have been a couple M3Ps and it’s just hilarious to watch them. They‘re so fast, and one guy is so aggressive with his braking that he can make the front end scrape the ground a touch.

At one event last summer someone brought a Mach E GT. Man that thing just looked wrong going around the track. It looked heavy in the way that it moved. Because it is.
There have been a couple of M3Ps at the HPDE I've went to, but no other Model Ys. I was the only one driving a CUV/SUV at those events until one time last year an X3 and a Cayenne showed up.

I didn't witness it, but my instructor told me one of the M3P drivers once asked him to drive it around the track and he pretty much fried the brakes on it and couldn't stop at one of the straightaways. It sounded dangerous. He drives race cars so he can push cars pretty hard. I'm sure it would have been worse in the MYP had he driven it. LOL!

Reactions: hyp36rmax
There have been a couple of M3Ps at the HPDE I've went to, but no other Model Ys. I was the only one driving a CUV/SUV at those events until one time last year an X3 and a Cayenne showed up.

I didn't witness it, but my instructor told me one of the M3P drivers once asked him to drive it around the track and he pretty much fried the brakes on it and couldn't stop at one of the straightaways. It sounded dangerous. He drives race cars so he can push cars pretty hard. I'm sure it would have been worse in the MYP had he driven it. LOL!
I’ll probably take the Y to Laguna next time I’m coaching since it’s the only car that will pass sound 😂 nice that they have free fast charging in the padsock

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Sorry for asking this question as I am new to MYP.
In track mode, handling balance menu, does shifting the dial to 0% front 100% rear means the acceleration power only come from the rear motor such that the total available power / acceleration on straight line is also reduced (no front motor) ?

I saw some YT videos a while back where some folks played around with those settings. They claimed that could tell that even though they changed it to zero front and all rear, there were times the front still got used.

There’s a thread in the MY’s purchasing/deliveries/etc sub forum about what motors are in people’s MYs. One poster there mentioned that the dual motor MYs will put all available power to the rear and only at full power, will it provide any excess power to the front (since the battery can output more than a single motor can use).

To be clear, I have no idea how valid either claim is, but maybe they’re related. So maybe the MYP will still output to the front when you set 100% to the rear, but only if you command the battery to output more than the rear can make use of.

In summary, if the front truly isn’t used, then actual acceleration should, in theory at least, be lower in full rear than balanced. If front (“other”) gets used no matter which end you set 100%, then it might end up accelerating the same, assuming the second claim is true.