Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - P, Diff size rims may void warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Just picked up my Model Y Performance yesterday and Im ecstatic. Absolutely love the car, best car I've ever driven. However, upon browsing some Tesla Model Y facebook groups and reading on forums along with confirming it with a Sales advisor that I know of at the service centre, it appears that running different size rims may void your drivetrain warranty if it is determined that the wheel caused it.
My question is, has anyone ever had any issues with the MYP on different size rims for the long term. Any drivetrain issues or declination/voiding of warranty work due to different rim size?
It's my first "luxury" car and I just wanna make sure I have warranty for it for as long as I can.

Thanks!

So the subtly of what you posted is that IF the aftermarket wheel you used did in fact cause the problem, then yes they can deny it. For example, you use an aftermarket wheel with obviously incorrect offset when lead to failure of, say, a ball joint in the suspension, then they are well within their rights to deny you. But if you use aftermarket wheels that are within spec, then GENERALLY, there is not going to be a problem.

That would first i heard of it. Unless it caused stuff to be out of spec somehow. Like 24 inch rims etc and then they would have to prove it caused the failure
Right right ofc, nothing crazy or whack
So the subtly of what you posted is that IF the aftermarket wheel you used did in fact cause the problem, then yes they can deny it. For example, you use an aftermarket wheel with obviously incorrect offset when lead to failure of, say, a ball joint in the suspension, then they are well within their rights to deny you. But if you use aftermarket wheels that are within spec, then GENERALLY, there is not going to be a problem.
Right okay so im not trying to run any weird offset or have crazy stance. I just generally prefer 19" or 20" for more sidewall for a comfier ride. So as long as I run a tire sidewall that would make it the same size as my 21" with its tire, I'll be fine. No weird offset or anything, same width and all, just diff wheel size.

Reactions: whisperingshad

Right okay so im not trying to run any weird offset or have crazy stance. I just generally prefer 19" or 20" for more sidewall for a comfier ride. So as long as I run a tire sidewall that would make it the same size as my 21" with its tire, I'll be fine. No weird offset or anything, same width and all, just diff wheel size.
It is a non issue. In fact in the software it allows you to select which size wheels you have changed to so they already figured many May do so.

Reactions: frostwhyte

The circumference is the same, it's just the size of the rim vs aspect ratio of the tire that changes. Whether its 19/20/21 rotating circumference is the same, putting aside staggered setups. MYP uses a staggered setup which actually makes the front circumference smaller than rear. It's also a non-issue since the drivetrain isn't coupled, ie. the front and rear motors move independently of each other.

Reactions: frostwhyte
I was worried about this as well. Got a set of the 20” inductions (winter package) from Tesla & they were installed by Tesla moments after I took delivery of my MYP. Took delivery in winter & live north of Barrie ON - no way I was driving home without winters on my car. They come as a set wheels/tires/tpms sensors & installation by Tesla included…so figured pretty safe ’risk’.

Surprised this isnt a bigger issue. The MYP is a performance vehicle - Performance 0 to 60 with a higher top speed with alot of weight. It should be delivered with performance rated tire/wheel/load combination. Sports cars Ive owned in the past have always stressed this - High Performance Z rated, etc, etc. Owners can always change things up, but you cant blame the manufacture or insurance companies if you goof up and exceed the engineering parameters.

I recommend that if you live in a snowy winter climate and the Y is your only vehicle...dont get the performance variant.