Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P or Model 3 LR?

Model 3 Long Range or Model Y Performance? Columbus with snow winter.

• Model Y Performance

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Model 3 Long Range

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my model 3 LR with 18-inch Aero (My favorite wheel!) on 01/17/2022
Because the model Y LR is estimated for Nov 2022 AND the price increased a lot.
AND I don't like the 21-inch wheel that comes with PS4S.

However:
I just realized that Model Y Performance now comes with the all-season tires!

So I ordered Model Y Performance as well.

Yes, I only plan to purchase 1 vehicle.
So, yes, I will lose $250. But NASDAQ will cover it.

Now the question is which one should I keep?

Yes, I posted this thread here (Model Y Forum) just want more people to affirm my choice. Thank you!

Last edited:
I just ordered my model 3 LR with 18-inch Aero (My favorite wheel!) on 01/17/2022

However:

Yes, I posted this thread here (Model Y Forum) just want more people to affirm my choice. Thank you!
I also ordered a MYP and MYLR simultaneously on 1/15 to lock in the $10k FSD price. Waiting to hear more about the product roadmap on tomorrows earnings call, and particularly when these cars will be shipping from Austin with 4680 and structural pack. Willing to sacrifice the $250 deposit if the MYP (with March delivery) comes from Freemont, and I can't delay long enough to get one from Austin. The MYLR with July delivery serves as the backup option, as they should be shipping from Austin to the east coast by then.

Note this strategy of ordering two is irrelevant now, as they've now upped the FSD price by $2k. Unless there is a price increase on the car itself, its now best to wait till Elon gives more info on the Model Y Austin ramp and 4680 rollout.

Reactions: sgong6
I also ordered a MYP and MYLR simultaneously on 1/15 to lock in the $10k FSD price. Waiting to hear more about the product roadmap on tomorrows earnings call, and particularly when these cars will be shipping from Austin with 4680 and structural pack. Willing to sacrifice the $250 deposit if the MYP (with March delivery) comes from Freemont, and I can't delay long enough to get one from Austin. The MYLR with July delivery serves as the backup option, as they should be shipping from Austin to the east coast by then.

Note this strategy of ordering two is irrelevant now, as they've now upped the FSD price by $2k. Unless there is a price increase on the car itself, its now best to wait till Elon gives more info on the Model Y Austin ramp and 4680 rollout.
I don't have the FSD option. And both my m3lr and myp EDD are MARCH for now.

I hope this could get 4680 as well!

Model Y is a better all around vehicle functionality wise. The Model 3 is a little more nimble to drive and sits lower to the ground.
CUVs/SUVs tend to retain better resale value over the long run compared to sedans.

Test drove the M3LR and MYLR back to back. Thought M3LR definitely handled a bit better and was noticeably faster, but MYLR was still quite fast and loads more comfortable size wise. Came home and ordered the MYLR to be able to take drives with my 125lb German shepherd. Then after my edd kept getting pushed way into 2022 i upgraded to the MYP bc the price difference really wasn’t that much. Not worried about ride quality bc i have pretty good roads and I’m coming from German cars. Worst case i get smaller rims with higher sidewall tires since i was originally gonna swap the Pirelli summers with AS tires anyway, but now the MYP comes with great AS Michelins.

However:

Model YP for sure. Otherwise, you will always regret that you didn't. An important factor is that the Y is so much easier to get into and I think you resale value will also be much better with the Y. Also, have it soon. Why wait for the fun?

I’m trading in my 2018 Model 3 LR for a MYP. Getting it between Feb 11-24. Can’t wait 😁
Thinking about doing the same, but will hold out a few months until the 4680 structural packs are rolling consistently out of Austin.

Yours will almost certainly will be Fremont built with that timeline, but still a huge upgrade from our 18' LR's.

Thinking about doing the same, but will hold out a few months until the 4680 structural packs are rolling consistently out of Austin.

Yours will almost certainly will be Fremont built with that timeline, but still a huge upgrade from our 18' LR's.
I think the 4680s will result more in cost savings for Tesla rather than major performance changes.

I think the 4680s will result more in cost savings for Tesla rather than major performance changes.
For sure a cost savings, but the castings and cells weigh less, so there has to be an efficiency/performance gain to some degree.

Ever see people pull out 100-200lbs gutting their interior for the drag strip?

Usually sheds a 1/10s at the strip.... So even if the cells don't put out more power, there should be an measurable improvement just from weight lost.

For sure a cost savings, but the castings and cells weigh less, so there has to be an efficiency/performance gain to some degree.

Usually sheds a 1/10s at the strip.... So even if the cells don't put out more power, there should be an measurable improvement just from weight lost.
Agree. Stiffer chassis and less weight = better handling.

My guess is that they divvy up the new batteries' advantage between consumer and company.

I don’t plan on bringing my Y to a drag strip so I don’t really care about a few 1/10ths. Waiting for the best Tesla is like waiting for the best IPhone. You’ll never get it.

I don’t plan on bringing my Y to a drag strip so I don’t really care about a few 1/10ths. Waiting for the best Tesla is like waiting for the best IPhone. You’ll never get it.
Point is less weight = more range, efficiency AND performance given the same cell/pack output. Applies for track or standard highway cruising.

Last edited:
Point is less weight = more range, efficiency AND performance given the same cell/pack output. Applies for track or standard highway cruising.
Yeah I get it, I just don’t think the difference will be so huge that it will be worth the wait and trust me I flip flopped about putting my reservation on hold. Anyway, at the end of the day, we’ll both get awesome Model Ys. Cheers!

I am also on the fence about Performance vs Long Range. I have a MYLR with an EDD of 05/21-06/18. The delivery estimate ordering now is March for a Performance model.

My wife and I love the look of the Performance trim options (and obviously the speed), but have a few doubts. Does the lower suspension make it prone to bottoming out like a sedan on hilly or uneven terrain? How often do Performance owners generally go through tires?

Very very tempted to change my order, but those points are currently holding me back.