Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - PCP Maths

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cable may be quite fat - is that likely to be an issue? Mine is about 1/2". Any 90-degree bends will need a bit extra for easing.p
site (bay window) side of the front door, I would back up diagonally to the charger but hopefully leaving enough room to access the front door

Attaching cable along the outside wall will be easy enough, provided seeing it won't offend you?
Thank you for that WO. It was only yesterday that I started giving serious thought to the charger issue having only then settled on the funding method.

Electrics are not my strong or favourite subject. I have not yet ascertained the amperage.

Re Cabling: I had hoped/am hoping that the cable could run from the understairs, through the hall into the back of a junction box of some description mounted on the external wall. It would then emerge from the top of the junction box to run up that outside wall and into the charger. This would obviate the cable bend problem.

This charger location would save me trying to route the cable onwards to the opposite (bay window side) of the front door for a little convenience gain.

To access charging, I would back the Y up diagonally to the charger whilst leaving enough room to enter and exit the front door. The charging cables are quite long enough I believe.

With the mains cable being quite thick, as you describe, I need to check the understairs floor level against the hall floor, the cable will need to be in a neat trunking either on top of the skirting or against it at floor level. Sound like a plan?

The charging cables are quite long enough I believe.

Choice of wall charger brand could influence that, if you need it. My Tesla charger has a massively long [tethered] cable (I think that may have been an option along the way). I can park car in ideal spot for charging, and another in front of it, and cable will comfortable reach the second car.

Sound like a plan?

Trunking sounds like a good, neat, idea :)

Choice of wall charger brand could influen

ce that, if you need it. My Tesla charger has a massively long [tethered] cable (I think that may have been an option along the way). I can park car in ideal spot for charging, and another in front of it, and cable will comfortable reach the second car

Trunking sounds like a good, neat, idea :)
Thank you. Do I sense irony? I am imagining something with a side dimension just sufficient enough to accommodate the cable. Trunking does sound rather industrial:).

Does the cable direction change via a waterproof junction box sound viable?

I am awaiting member's feedback on wall charger recommendations. I have heard the Tesla charger criticised on YouTube as being dumb and not providing the useful stats available on others. However, I notice that Tesla are on their 3rd generation charger.

You were quite an early EV adopter and may not have had a wide choice at that time. I can't imagine the Tesla version 3 charger being inadequate for normal needs; I will be shedding my anorak in favour of driving when I have the car (famous last words). Is your charger adequate?

Does the cable direction change via a waterproof junction box sound viable?

Dunno on that, but mine has an override switch on the inside wall, just where the cable comes in. The outdoor cable is robust (armoured maybe) and the indoor cable less beefy. So perhaps the isolate switch is acting in the way of the junction box you are contemplating. Actually the outdoor tesla charger has a junction box on the outside wall; the cable is in trunking, so I think the junction box is there to terminate the trunking, but it might also be a cable-type/diameter change too. Sounds like a conversation to be had with your Sparky.

You were quite an early EV adopter and may not have had a wide choice at that time.

Indeed. Much more choice now. Zappi charger to trickle charge the car when excess PV being generated is the only option that I know of, but there will be others to consider.

I have heard the Tesla charger criticised on YouTube as being dumb and not providing the useful stats available on others

Don't think they've ever been approved for the grant either. Tesla Energy (not sure what they are called) are keen to be able to control these things ... they offer a 12p 24/7 price with matched export / import for people with PowerWall, Car Charger and PV on the basis that they will export from Battery at peak for the premium Peaker-plant price. But they must be planning to control when they will charge the car overnight. Seems to me they don't need a smart charger for that, so long as the charger is plugged in they can just tell the car to stop/start charging.

But I've not got a smart charger, so maybe they offer more than that. e.g. kW delivered as distinct from kW usefully put into the battery by the car (separate from transmission/DC-conversion losses and any climate / battery-heating etc.)

Is your charger adequate?

No complaints. 7kW / 25 MPH give-or-take (but that's the same as all the others). It will do 3-phase too (which I don't have), 11kW (34 mph) but I don't think Model-3/Y will charge at that A/C kW. For comparison 13AMP is about 7 MPH.

Hefty cable and plug that will stand some abuse. Tesla Charger has a button on the plug which will stop charging and release the captive-plug from the car. With other chargers it used to be annoying to have to get into the car and press the dashboard release-charger button, or do similar on the APP (or have a fob and long-press the boot button - but Wifee's fob is buried in bottom of her handbag, so although available its not convenient)

Reactions: Wattsisname
Dunno on that, but mine has an override switch on the inside wall, just where the cable comes in. The outdoor cable is robust (armoured maybe) and the indoor cable less beefy. So perhaps the isolate switch is acting in the way of the junction box you are contemplating. Actually the outdoor tesla charger has a junction box on the outside wall; the cable is in trunking, so I think the junction box is there to terminate the trunking, but it might also be a cable-type/diameter change too. Sounds like a conversation to be had with your Sparky.

Indeed. Much more choice now. Zappi charger to trickle charge the car when excess PV being generated is the only option that I know of, but there will be others to consider.

Don't think they've ever been approved for the grant either. Tesla Energy (not sure what they are called) are keen to be able to control these things ... they offer a 12p 24/7 price with matched export / import for people with PowerWall, Car Charger and PV on the basis that they will export from Battery at peak for the premium Peaker-plant price. But they must be planning to control when they will charge the car overnight. Seems to me they don't need a smart charger for that, so long as the charger is plugged in they can just tell the car to stop/start charging.

But I've not got a smart charger, so maybe they offer more than that. e.g. kW delivered as distinct from kW usefully put into the battery by the car (separate from transmission/DC-conversion losses and any climate / battery-heating etc.)

No complaints. 7kW / 25 MPH give-or-take (but that's the same as all the others). It will do 3-phase too (which I don't have), 11kW (34 mph) but I don't think Model-3/Y will charge at that A/C kW. For comparison 13AMP is about 7 MPH.

Hefty cable and plug that will stand some abuse. Tesla Charger has a button on the plug which will stop charging and release the captive-plug from the car. With other chargers it used to be annoying to have to get into the car and press the dashboard release-charger button, or do similar on the APP (or have a fob and long-press the boot button - but Wifee's fob is buried in bottom of her handbag, so although available its not convenient)
Thank you."( ......but Wifee's fob is buried in bottom of her handbag, so although available its not convenient) That would be the new mother's handbag:)

Reactions: WannabeOwner