Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Pedestrian Warning System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyones Model Y have the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) installed? Our Model 3 has this feature but doesn't seem to be present in the Model Y. The wiring is present in the instal locations
Mine is an early build Model Y. It has PWS however it seems to only come on 80% of the time. Do you have that problem with your Model 3?

A mobile Tech came by the house the other day to investigate the PWS and another item. Apparently, Tesla has stopped installing the PWS in the Model Ys for now. He said, there's an internal bulletin which states these could be retrofitted later in the year (Sept). He also mentioned there's some new regs being discussed about these devices. Not sure about the other models but this was his info on the Model Y PWS system - he joked saying he'd see me again in Sept for the install.

Build May 2020, I don’t have it, if I did, I would put a switch between that speaker wire and will turn it on while inside a parking lot or underground parking where you are driving slow and people around.

Fred

Very disappointing. I test drove a Y and it had it. It was a huge plus for me. Someone told me it comes with FSD - I ended up upgrading to it to make sure I had it. Hope they put it back. I haven't received my Y yet - (Feb 2020 order AWD, MSM, white interior, FSD)

On our model 3, it sounds like a jetson's style space ship car. It only makes sound in reverse though, driving in forward doesn't trigger it at any speed.

It makes a sound going forward too, it just isn't very unique or noticeable like the reverse sound. Have someone drive by you very slowly, you'll hear it. Kind of like a white noise machine sound.

They're not installing PWS at this time because it is not required anywhere yet. Most car makers are against it, as are many consumers. It's not that they don't feel a pedestrian warning system couldn't be beneficial. It's that the proposed requirements and legislation is both non-specific or vague and targeting EVs and not ICE or hybrid vehicles. Say what you want about EVs being quiet, and yes they can be. But many new ICE cars are near silent or totally silent at low speeds.

In my experience, I've had just as many distracted pedestrians, more in fact, step out in front of my diesel pickup than my Model X. PWS isn't going to alert those who chose to ignore their surroundings.

PWS implemented in Model 3 produced after September 2019.

Mine was made in December 2019. It makes a sound in reverse but there's no sound when in drive. A previous poster indicated that it DID make sound going forward but I probably didn't hear it. Mine definitely does NOT make a sound in drive, just in reverse and it's loud enough that I'd notice it if it was making that sound in drive.