Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System - Self Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about adding the PWS (Pedestrian Warning System) to my 2021 Model 3 which already has the harness.

Instead of paying Tesla £180 I am looking to install the speaker myself and get Tesla to send out the software update to enable the speaker.

Does anyone know of the difference between the part numbers 1299965-00-A and 1811135-00-A? The first is just for the PWS and the second is for the PWS Retrofit Kit. Thing is the first item is only £50 and the second is £150, both ex VAT. Wondered if there is anything I am missing or if anyone here has done it themselves before?

I vaguely recall someone else on here with the same idea.. ended up fitting the part but Tesla wouldn't code the option.

If you were going to try this you'd probably be better off fitting it and opening a service request to say that it's "stopped working", or something along those lines. If you straight up ask for something to be switched on, I doubt they will do it for you.

The "PWS Retrofit Kit" is what I paid for. I assume that includes the labour? I couldn't say for sure though. There's nothing particularly special about it, as you know - just the speaker component and fixtures required.

Yeh I will probably do this. I have seen a YouTuber who did the same on an early Y and they knew a service tech who could enable it for them, but other than that I guess you just got to sweet talk them.

Will see if one of the techs at the service centre where I pick the speaker up from will do it for me once installed.

Installed by myself and asked to be activated. Tesla Chester denied, but Tesla Stockport did the job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230917_190245_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917_190245_eBay.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Went and picked up a speaker and screws from Tesla today, installed it and nothing... Videos online showed that the reverse and driving hums were working instantly upon connecting. The SC said they'd connect in via Toolbox tomorrow and enable Boombox but not sure if the harness is faulty.

@speedyranger74 did yours start making noise straight away?

We had ours fitted by service centre. Even then it didn’t start working properly until WE did a steering wheel reboot.

In the meantime the car had rebooted itself for no obvious reason a couple of times and PWS worked first time after that, but it wasn’t until we rebooted that everything stabilised and PWS worked every time.

So every month I pester Tesla about this and today they finally caved. A tech came by today and activated the PWS config for a very reasonable £9.90. I paid £35 for the speaker so all in I got this sorted for just under £45.

Initially it seemed to only want to emit boombox sounds and none of the actual PWS sounds. Leaving it for a few hours sorted that.

You don't need to touch the wheel, there's enough space to get your arm in and pull the cable out & attach the speaker.

I had to source the connector, as it was a bit unusual, but I believe there are people selling kits these days. Cost about £15 for the speaker.

Alas on that car I never managed to get it coded.. Tesla were flat out refusing back then.

You don't need to touch the wheel, there's enough space to get your arm in and pull the cable out & attach the speaker.

I had to source the connector, as it was a bit unusual, but I believe there are people selling kits these days. Cost about £15 for the speaker.

Alas on that car I never managed to get it coded.. Tesla were flat out refusing back then.
I'd assumed that the harness would be terminated with a connector.

Might just get Tesla to do it, although it says you don't get Boombox functionality. I'm not quite sure how you can have one without the other?

The cables were installed in all the model 3s released in the UK, just unused.. tucked up into the top of the wheel arch.

The harness has a connector but it's not a type I'd seen before.

If the speaker is enabled you should get boombox, but that's been nerfed so much since it's initial release I wouldn't get too excited.

Reactions: Durzel
So my connector was terminated and just had a blanking plug in it, no need to re-terminate. My car was also one of the first 2021-refresh cars from America at the end of 2020.

The Tesla Service Centre near me got me to sign a waver but then just charge me for 10 minutes or so to do the software change.