Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System - Self Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd assumed that the harness would be terminated with a connector.

Might just get Tesla to do it, although it says you don't get Boombox functionality. I'm not quite sure how you can have one without the other?
You do get Boombox functionality.

Nerd time 🤓.. there is essentially one gateway config setting for 3/Y for the PWS, “pedestrianWarningSound”, and it just defines if the speaker is present or not. If that config value is set, the car will know to show Boombox functionality.

Also don’t believe the website either on compatibility. It said mine wasn’t compatible and I suspected otherwise so I just booked it in directly with no issues.

Reactions: Js1977
You do get Boombox functionality.

Nerd time 🤓.. there is essentially one gateway config setting for 3/Y for the PWS, “pedestrianWarningSound”, and it just defines if the speaker is present or not. If that config value is set, the car will know to show Boombox functionality.

Also don’t believe the website either on compatibility. It said mine wasn’t compatible and I suspected otherwise so I just booked it in directly with no issues.
I don't come here for non-nerdy stuff.

Not sure I can justify ÂŁ170 but I'll think about it!

Where can I see what functionality is left / available in the UK?

Basically boils down to:
  • UFO sound in reverse. Can’t be turned off.
  • Being able to talk through it via the app. Automatically applies a voice changer to it (sounds like those TV shows where the identity has been hidden)
  • Making the car make fart noises through the app.
  • Playing whatever you’re listening to through it (this is as obnoxious as it sounds)
  • Playing pre-defined sounds when you press the horn (only in park).
  • Custom lock sounds
Of the features the last one is probably the most harmless one, in my opinion, although the car does let you basically play anything for any duration as long as it’s less than 1MB.