Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC Members,

I received delivery of my new Model Y Performance (VIN #:415) a few weeks ago and thought I would start a thread to document the build process. My hope for this thread is to keep a running journal of the modifications and add-ons I do to the car throughout ownership.

The car is Midnight Silver Metallic and equipped with the black interior and the optional Performance package. The car will primarily be a daily/street car, and will probably see little if any track time. My goal for the car is OEM+ aesthetics with track-capable suspension performance. I also own a LR RWD Model 3, and the suspension on that car is garbage. Hard over bumps and imperfections on the road, but soft and boat like around corners. The model Y's suspension is similar, but even floatier due to the added height and weight of the car. Since I am local to the folks at @RedwoodMotors, I offered to assist with development of a bunch of suspension parts, including the Ohlins suspension system.:) I've used KW, Moton, JRZ in the past on my BMW M cars, and for street and occasional track use the Ohlins are hands down the best. The wife will be driving this car alot, so I'm looking to maintain about 70% OEM comfort.

The paint on my car had a ton of over-spray, scratches, and imperfections from the factory, so I sent the car off to Unique Auto Films in San Jose 3 days after taking delivery. The Y has now been at my detailer for about a week and a half getting paint corrected, front window tint, complete Xpel Stealth wrap, and a Ceramic Pro Silver Coating. The team at Unique Auto Films is second to none, and is priced way better than almost every detailer/PPF company in the bay area. If you're a bay area local and interested in getting your car detailed, Ceramic coated, or PPF'd, hit me up and I'll introduce you to the owner for a steep discount! ;) I will also be doing a full detailed write up of the detailing/PPF/Ceramic coating process with plenty of pictures some time this week

For now, here's a few pictures of the car when I took delivery!

Attachments

• Tesla 1.jpg
    Tesla 1.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 661
  • Tesla 3.jpg
    Tesla 3.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 452
  • InkedInkedTesla 2_LI.jpg
    InkedInkedTesla 2_LI.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
I've been swamped the past month with work and have completely forgotten to update this thread. Lots of changes have happened to the car since delivery. Attached are a few pictures of the car after I picked it up from the team at Unique Auto Films. As I stated in the initial post, the car was paint corrected (took about 5 days...), wrapped in Xpel Stealth, and coated with Ceramic Pro Silver. The car also got the Tesla emblems painted black, headlights tinted in Xpel headlight film, and a 35% Suntek Ceramic tint on the front windows. Overall, I really like the way it turned out! :) I set up a service appointment to install a blackout performance dual motor badge I purchased from RPM Tesla, but the techs don't have a Jig for the Y yet. Other than a set of 20 inch wheels and possibly a windshield tint, I think the exterior of the car looks perfect. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 3.2.jpg
    3.2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 381
  • 4.2.jpg
    4.2.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I've been swamped the past month with work and have completely forgotten to update this thread. Lots of changes have happened to the car since delivery. Attached are a few pictures of the car after I picked it up from the team at Unique Auto Films. As I stated in the initial post, the car was paint corrected (took about 5 days...), wrapped in Xpel Stealth, and coated with Ceramic Pro Silver. The car also got the Tesla emblems painted black, headlights tinted in Xpel headlight film, and a 35% Suntek Ceramic tint on the front windows. Overall, I really like the way it turned out! :) I set up a service appointment to install a blackout performance dual motor badge I purchased from RPM Tesla, but the techs don't have a Jig for the Y yet. Other than a set of 20 inch wheels and possibly a windshield tint, I think the exterior of the car looks perfect. Let me know what you think!

Looks great!! I'm hopefully getting my MSM LR soon and I'm looking to get the same stealth wrap and tinting done. How much did everything cost you? Did they also paint your Tesla emblems?

Hey TMC Members,

I received delivery of my new Model Y Performance (VIN #:415) a few weeks ago and thought I would start a thread to document the build process. My hope for this thread is to keep a running journal of the modifications and add-ons I do to the car throughout ownership.

The car is Midnight Silver Metallic and equipped with the black interior and the optional Performance package. The car will primarily be a daily/street car, and will probably see little if any track time. My goal for the car is OEM+ aesthetics with track-capable suspension performance. I also own a LR RWD Model 3, and the suspension on that car is garbage. Hard over bumps and imperfections on the road, but soft and boat like around corners. The model Y's suspension is similar, but even floatier due to the added height and weight of the car. Since I am local to the folks at @RedwoodMotors, I offered to assist with development of a bunch of suspension parts, including the Ohlins suspension system.:) I've used KW, Moton, JRZ in the past on my BMW M cars, and for street and occasional track use the Ohlins are hands down the best. The wife will be driving this car alot, so I'm looking to maintain about 70% OEM comfort.

The paint on my car had a ton of over-spray, scratches, and imperfections from the factory, so I sent the car off to Unique Auto Films in San Jose 3 days after taking delivery. The Y has now been at my detailer for about a week and a half getting paint corrected, front window tint, complete Xpel Stealth wrap, and a Ceramic Pro Silver Coating. The team at Unique Auto Films is second to none, and is priced way better than almost every detailer/PPF company in the bay area. If you're a bay area local and interested in getting your car detailed, Ceramic coated, or PPF'd, hit me up and I'll introduce you to the owner for a steep discount! ;) I will also be doing a full detailed write up of the detailing/PPF/Ceramic coating process with plenty of pictures some time this week

For now, here's a few pictures of the car when I took delivery!
Looks dope! New to the forum! I’m picking up my Model Y from the service center and looking into a full body wrap for it.

Do you still have the Maier front lip and side skirts installed ?
Appears to be the only US made option. I wish it was a little slimmer - on pictures it looks very tall to me - maybe in person its proportions are different.

Also looking at Karbel, FutureDesign, CMST, MaxtonDesign