Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so sure about that, the 21’’ Überturbine wheels plus tires seem to go for between $3K-$4K on eBay plus shipping. Would cover the cost of some aftermarket wheels plus tires, possibly some extra $ for your pocket.

Resale on the performance should be higher, I may end up purchasing some cheap winter rims and winter tires for the Y. Yes you can buy a BMW M Sport package for less than a real M and it is almost as fast, but will never be a real M or command the premium when you go to sell.

Yes, I do wish there was a bit more separating the performance variant from the long range. Even if it is interior stitching, badging, contrasting colors, etc. but still want it. My other option is a Jeep Trackhawk but they are $70K+ used. Ouch.

They're not actually selling for that - people have struggled to get $2000 for them. Guy on here in Ohio had them listed for $1500 and they weren't flying off the shelf....

Resale of the performance is likely not going to be higher (but I do get where you're coming from) My personal opinion of someone who owned two model 3's, is into performance cars and really WANTS a performance tesla variant... performance on the Y is kind of weird. Driving both versions - I just thought the performance was too soft in its agility to have the level of power that the performance car has. With the 3, the performance fits, as it feels like a properly balanced driver's car. If performance to you is just the 0-60, so be it, get the performance car. It just felt out of place to me. Now if you want to throw coilovers on it and fix all that, then thats a whole other story, but that's $$$ :)

I didn't want to spend $8-10k extra and immediately replace the wheels (even though I'm doing that with my LR , and the wheels are sitting in my garage, before the Y is even here lol). If tesla would've let you get the performance upgrades (brakes, lowered suspension, spoiler) but let you get induction wheels - I wouldn't have switched my order. I settled with being ok that LR with boost is equivalent to my dual motor 3 without boost (and that car was quite quick).

All this said, I don't fault anyone for getting the performance Y - all up to your personal preferences. If I was getting the 3 (and I almost switched my order) - 110% would be getting performance.

Reactions: Kelr316
Agree - mainly with how M cars dial in the suspension, brakes, and FEEL.

In my drives, the gap in sporty driving feel behind the wheel is much bigger between any Model Y and the Model 3, and practically undetectable (to me) between the Model Y LR vs Model Y Performance.

I was also cross shopping the BMW X3 M40i/X3M and Audi SQ5; both BMW and Audi provide obvious upgrades, both in performance and aesthetics, to their performance trims over their vanilla X3 and Q5 siblings.

Anyone catch Ryan Shaw’s latest vid on the Tube? Might suggest why there is a paid on the performance version. Fingers crossed for the air suspension. That would be a nice enhancement and worthy of the full $10K.

I have also been looking at used Cayenne Turbo’s. This is a midlife crisis car to me, no “regerts”. The wheels are about the only thing causing pause.

Anyone catch Ryan Shaw’s latest vid on the Tube? Might suggest why there is a paid on the performance version. Fingers crossed for the air suspension. That would be a nice enhancement and worthy of the full $10K.

I have also been looking at used Cayenne Turbo’s. This is a midlife crisis car to me, no “regerts”. The wheels are about the only thing causing pause.
Would that be a new update for 2021 and not a software update I would assume? Or can this be retro-fitted?

Last edited:
Not so sure about that, the 21’’ Überturbine wheels plus tires seem to go for between $3K-$4K on eBay plus shipping. Would cover the cost of some aftermarket wheels plus tires, possibly some extra $ for your pocket.

Resale on the performance should be higher, I may end up purchasing some cheap winter rims and winter tires for the Y. Yes you can buy a BMW M Sport package for less than a real M and it is almost as fast, but will never be a real M or command the premium when you go to sell.

Yes, I do wish there was a bit more separating the performance variant from the long range. Even if it is interior stitching, badging, contrasting colors, etc. but still want it. My other option is a Jeep Trackhawk but they are $70K+ used. Ouch.
Lmfao thats is literally my same thoughts I was even weighing buying a low mile trackhawk which is still an option if it seems like the performance y will not be here in a timely manner I really wanted something with fsd capability but there's alwase tradeoffs

I'm curious about this tire issue. I've seen across the forums that Pirelli was the only company that made the 21" summer performance tire in the 235/275 sizes. According to TireRack, Michelin Pilot SC 2's are also available in those sizes with the same load capacity which could I would prefer over the Pirellis.

That being said, I ordered a White MYP over black with FSD from Richmond, VA on 3 Oct. I called my advisor earlier this week and she stated that she hadn't heard anything about a delay and that my order was still listed as being on time. I have yet to be assigned a VIN as well as just everybody who ordered after 28 September according to the Model Y ordering spreadsheet.

Hopefully we'd be getting some type of major upgrade, but unfortunately my optimism is waining as the days go by.

I'm curious about this tire issue. I've seen across the forums that Pirelli was the only company that made the 21" summer performance tire in the 235/275 sizes. According to TireRack, Michelin Pilot SC 2's are also available in those sizes with the same load capacity which could I would prefer over the Pirellis.

That being said, I ordered a White MYP over black with FSD from Richmond, VA on 3 Oct. I called my advisor earlier this week and she stated that she hadn't heard anything about a delay and that my order was still listed as being on time. I have yet to be assigned a VIN as well as just everybody who ordered after 28 September according to the Model Y ordering spreadsheet.

Hopefully we'd be getting some type of major upgrade, but unfortunately my optimism is waining as the days go by.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a tire issue either. You can buy the same exact OEM Mode Y Performance tires on Tire Rack right now, and they’re listed as in stock. I heard from someone on Reddit (who I think may be an assembly line worker) say that GA4 is having issues with personnel, and that may be the reason for the delay. Still doesn’t make any sense why Long Range MY is still cranking out at record speed and none of the Performance are getting manufactured, but I feel as if MAYBE it’s a design change or something. All signs don’t SEEM TO point towards tire issues, in my personal feelings and opinion. I’ll stay hopeful it’s a design change that us Performance orders will have over the Long Range folks, haha. We ARE paying more than them, so give us the goodies! LOL

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a tire issue either. You can buy the same exact OEM Mode Y Performance tires on Tire Rack right now, and they’re listed as in stock. I heard from someone on Reddit (who I think may be an assembly line worker) say that GA4 is having issues with personnel, and that may be the reason for the delay. Still doesn’t make any sense why Long Range MY is still cranking out at record speed and none of the Performance are getting manufactured, but I feel as if MAYBE it’s a design change or something. All signs don’t SEEM TO point towards tire issues, in my personal feelings and opinion. I’ll stay hopeful it’s a design change that us Performance orders will have over the Long Range folks, haha. We ARE paying more than them, so give us the goodies! LOL

I don't think the conjecture is that the OEM Performance summer tires aren't available at TireRack, but that the all-season tire options in the Performance OEM sizes aren't available.

I don't think the conjecture is that the OEM Performance summer tires aren't available at TireRack, but that the all-season tire options in the Performance OEM sizes aren't available.

Yeah, but I think it's unlikely that if they would delay production to change tires with no current all season options being available. They would only be risking the loss of sales if delayed too long. I think the vast majority of us who have already ordered knew about the summer performance tire and understood it's limits in colder weather and are fine to accept orders on time with the current setup.

Just my two cents.

• Love
Reactions: NASASpaceXlove

If they are switching to an all season tire (which none of us are exactly sure of, and only assuming) for the 21 inch Uberturbine rims, then that could definitely be an issue. Tesla isn’t offering the stealth package anymore, and they wouldn’t switch up the manufacturing process at this point without some communication from them that could affect our orders, I feel. Has Tesla ever NOT offered a summer performance tire on any of their existing Performance lines? I don’t THINK they have, and have always offered performance tires on their Performance vehicles.

For what it’s worth, I just called another—not the same Tesla showroom I’ve been dealing with (nothing against them either)—to see if they could tell me the status of my MYP order. He asked when I ordered my MYP and I take him about 2-3 weeks ago, and he said I should hear something about my VIN next week. Maybe he’s right, or maybe he’s just “going with the flow” and reciting the normal lines?

Has anyone actually been matched with a MYP VIN yet?

I think there just trying to blow smoke to bye themselves time I don't think the sc knows what's going on ive talked to 2 different sc's about my order an both said they pulled the order up and each one gave me a different timeliness then the original sc txt me yesterday and said that I probably won't see a car until December sometime which would put delivers closer to 12 weeks than the 3-7 that my order says