Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless they made you sign a NDA, don’t worry about it. Sounds like someone told you something they were not supposed to.
I know they can’t do anything to me. But it’s how the guy did that it’s just sad someone like that would work for the company.
I don’t see why if a tire is being produced or scheduled would be a big deal. Not like it’s a secret as they are on the road already.

I know they can’t do anything to me. But it’s how the guy did that it’s just sad someone like that would work for the company.
I don’t see why if a tire is being produced or scheduled would be a big deal. Not like it’s a secret as they are on the road already.

Seems odd, bet they are still in negotiation with a customer and this might impact some leverage. Someone learned a life lesson.

Seems odd, bet they are still in negotiation with a customer and this might impact some leverage. Someone learned a life lesson.

The vibe I get from seeing pirelli tires getting replaced with Michelin (2021 m3). Maybe Tesla has decided to change it up completely. Michelin atleast gives a tire warranty and I know a couple of the sizes wear so quick I’m sure some people are very upset. They need someone who wants to develop materials for a better ev tire. Hopefully that’s why these delays. A Tesla compound.

Ordered a Grey/Black Y performance on 9/21 in Columbus, OH and have not heard anything. At the time it was 5-9 weeks. SC today suggested I should hear something in ~two weeks and get a VIN. I also agree that offering the 20 inch wheels with all seasons for a $2K savings would be a viable option for many of us.
I spoke with the columbus sc today also about my MYP they said the same thing to me so either they have a group planning to arrive the first part of November or they are stalling us lol

Tesla should just offer the performance model with the 20” Inductions w/all season high performance tires or 21” Uberturbines with summer performance tires. Let the consumer pick their option.

yep.. would've never returned my MYP..

Ordered a Grey/Black Y performance on 9/21 in Columbus, OH and have not heard anything. At the time it was 5-9 weeks. SC today suggested I should hear something in ~two weeks and get a VIN. I also agree that offering the 20 inch wheels with all seasons for a $2K savings would be a viable option for many of us.

If you own an MYP and find yourself in a 25f degree night with some slush on the ground getting off a circular exit ramp enjoy that experience. anyone who hasn't owned a real performance vehicle has NO CLUE what it's like in those kinds of temps with Summer Only Tires.

P Zero also has PLENTY of all season options but for some unknown reason Tesla didn't request one built for the colder climates and stranded those of us with 21's... you shouldn't have to purchase NEW WHEELS on a new vehicle just to be able to drive it in the cold safely.. tires? OK.. but make the owner's acknowledge the summer only's in the colder climates. it's silly. BMW does it. So does Porsche. heck even my chevy dealer did it when i purchased one of my several new corvettes over the years (wonder why? maybe because GM and Porsche and BMW ran into these issues and were sued?)

If you own an MYP and find yourself in a 25f degree night with some slush on the ground getting off a circular exit ramp enjoy that experience. anyone who hasn't owned a real performance vehicle has NO CLUE what it's like in those kinds of temps with Summer Only Tires.

P Zero also has PLENTY of all season options but for some unknown reason Tesla didn't request one built for the colder climates and stranded those of us with 21's... you shouldn't have to purchase NEW WHEELS on a new vehicle just to be able to drive it in the cold safely.. tires? OK.. but make the owner's acknowledge the summer only's in the colder climates. it's silly. BMW does it. So does Porsche. heck even my chevy dealer did it when i purchased one of my several new corvettes over the years (wonder why? maybe because GM and Porsche and BMW ran into these issues and were sued?)

When it comes to GM now. Even the corvettes now come as a base with all seasons. I believe it’s a package that gives those summer tires? It’s some performance package my mind can’t remember at the moment. Regular bmw M series also come by default with all seasons. You get the CS or another performance package and it comes with the summer tires. Pirelli doesn’t seem to want to make 21inch tires at all. They do well with 22s for trucks and have a huge share. Out of everyone I talked too tho Michelin seemed to want to be the one making a good selection for us. Guess they see Tesla as a big future client as well.

Firestone and Nitto seemed to care less.

I think it is this way because of legal problems.

For the slush comment. A lot of idiots think awd will help them lol. I used to be a Subaru person and it’s comical the idiots out there now.

When it comes to GM now. Even the corvettes now come as a base with all seasons. I believe it’s a package that gives those summer tires? It’s some performance package my mind can’t remember at the moment. Regular bmw M series also come by default with all seasons. You get the CS or another performance package and it comes with the summer tires. Pirelli doesn’t seem to want to make 21inch tires at all. They do well with 22s for trucks and have a huge share. Out of everyone I talked too tho Michelin seemed to want to be the one making a good selection for us. Guess they see Tesla as a big future client as well.

Firestone and Nitto seemed to care less.

I think it is this way because of legal problems.

For the slush comment. A lot of idiots think awd will help them lol. I used to be a Subaru person and it’s comical the idiots out there now.
BMW M cars do not come with all seasons. OE is maximum performance summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) and there's no all season option. I've owned several M cars (3 in the last 3.5 years) and they all came with maximum performance summer tires. Outside the United States market, the CS is shod in Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.

Maybe enough people calling in to check on there orders will give them the push they need to quit messing around an come up with a solution before alot of people switch there orders to the long range or another car all together. I'll ride out my order until the end of the delivery time frame if nothing by then we will make a Decision

I was shocked at how little grip I had one some cold (< 15F) tires on a RWD sports car one time. It was really squirrely even on dry pavement, I'd hate to have seen slush.

Tony I'm sorry but I'm gonna put you on blast since you keep posting this same sob story...

You're on a tesla forum, you have to be more knowledgable than your average consumer. How in the world did you not do the research to determine the PERFORMANCE version (like many performance cars) comes with SUMMER tires. I'm sorry your owner advisor at your service center was an idiot and told you they were all seasons, but do your own research. You're buying a 60k vehicle. Not to mention, why didn't you just keep the car and buy a $3k set of wheels and tires for winter, so you can swap them and have ideal performance in both climates.

Do I think its absurd that tesla put a crazy absurd staggered fitment of 21" heavy ass wheels on their performance Y? Yes. Do I think they should give owners the option to keep all the performance upgrade components but opt for 20" wheels? yes. Could you have done your research before delivery, or even at delivery and known they were summer tires? yes (hell just look at the tread - its obvious they're summer). Could you have still kept your car and coughed up money for a winter wheel setup, on your $60k+ performance vehicle? Hell yes.

Reactions: JohnInSanDiego
Tony I'm sorry but I'm gonna put you on blast since you keep posting this same sob story...

You're on a tesla forum, you have to be more knowledgable than your average consumer. How in the world did you not do the research to determine the PERFORMANCE version (like many performance cars) comes with SUMMER tires. I'm sorry your owner advisor at your service center was an idiot and told you they were all seasons, but do your own research. You're buying a 60k vehicle. Not to mention, why didn't you just keep the car and buy a $3k set of wheels and tires for winter, so you can swap them and have ideal performance in both climates.

Do I think its absurd that tesla put a crazy absurd staggered fitment of 21" heavy ass wheels on their performance Y? Yes. Do I think they should give owners the option to keep all the performance upgrade components but opt for 20" wheels? yes. Could you have done your research before delivery, or even at delivery and known they were summer tires? yes (hell just look at the tread - its obvious they're summer). Could you have still kept your car and coughed up money for a winter wheel setup, on your $60k+ performance vehicle? Hell yes.
don't feel sorry. Dale. all good. here's the deal in a nut shell.

their 7 day return policy was why i wasn't worried about it at all.. and you know what? the car is back and i'm ordering a M3P refreshed very soon (picked up an SUV for the wife). understand that when Pirelli P Zero has all season options (go on their page... P Zero car tire family: description and features | Pirelli ) i knew this already from an SUV back in the day, i didn't question the TWO different Tesla sales people about it.. nor did i see it EVER mentioned here... I KNOW P Zero's are commonly summer only (like that's the reason I asked not once but TWICE).

you make it sound as if a $60k car is somehow expensive? i guess it's all relative. had they NOT had their 7 day return policy? i would've purchased the 20" wheels and tires from T Sportline and moved on, but it was the principal. so (shoved it) Tesla got their car back. had they offered me $k discount because I need all season's?? fantastic.. they didn't. and it wasn't the SC fault. they were in the dark as much as me on the subject. and sorry but not too sorry all the MYP are on hold. you'll be better off for it. i hope they come out with either a 20" as standard and make the 21's optional with an all season on the 20's and summer only on the 21's or something to that effect. the fact that they're offering a $5500 winter tire option soon? LMFAO. OMG get real. i was considering the MYLR but i want the sport model and between the tire crap, loss of $5k rebate AND the M3 refresh? it's a no brainer to move to the M3P now. i'll lease that thing and turn it in and get whatever they have in 3yrs from now. the best thing that EVER happened was the summer tire debacle. idk what i was thinking buying that thing...

Would this tire fit this car? I understand they are not all season, but I am just thinking of replacement cost. I don't have a problem with the summer tires, but I know I will probably need new ones pretty quickly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.59.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.59.55 PM.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 80
Nokian has winter tires for the 21" tires... I really like those tires too. Summer tires for me are "worthless" about 6 months out of the year in Alaska.. Having said that, I wish they had studded winter tires... which means most likely I will be going with another set of rims that has studded tires available for it. I knew this when I ordered too as I researched it ahead of time. Like others, I REALLY REALLY wanted a Performance Y, without the performance package... The delay is killing me and I don't know how much longer we can hold out until I need to get another car, which would push this purchase further away. The car this replaces is already back at the dealer/turned in...