Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice if it was designed for 45 instead of 35. But Tesla seemed to pick that size so they could have an exclusive tire size. Who knows reasoning behind that.

Can they slap on a different size, say the 265/45/21 and adjust / compensate via software? I would certainly would love to have square and 'meatier' tire, being in NYC.

Can anyone confirm whether Y performance models are being built and held to the side or are they not being built until tires are available?

Some newer Y’s are coming with acoustic door glass and I am hopeful we will get this as well. If they are built and sitting there then we may not get the enhancement.

Can anyone confirm whether Y performance models are being built and held to the side or are they not being built until tires are available?

Some newer Y’s are coming with acoustic door glass and I am hopeful we will get this as well. If they are built and sitting there then we may not get the enhancement.

I am pretty positive they are behind on orders not ahead. According to the tracker spreadsheet no one has gotten performance VIN's since 10/5. I am also not sure how they could store a bunch of vehicles with no tires on them.

Looks like i just got a confirmation that they are on hold because of the summer tires. Its a liability being you cant even get winter tires for those rims in the proper ratings (Including XL load). No word on how long or if anything is being worked on.

Do you have any confirmation of this? You said internal factory leak but then didn't offer a concrete source. I am able to find winter and all season tires in the correct size with the correct speed and load rating in stock at loads of retailers.

I am in the same boat as a lot of people waiting for their MYP and having a solid source will allow us to ask more questions if something changes on the spec of our cars being delivered (eventually).

• Helpful
Reactions: Clark_Kent
Do you have any confirmation of this? You said internal factory leak but then didn't offer a concrete source. I am able to find winter and all season tires in the correct size with the correct speed and load rating in stock at loads of retailers.

I am in the same boat as a lot of people waiting for their MYP and having a solid source will allow us to ask more questions if something changes on the spec of our cars being delivered (eventually).

Post some links to correct size all seasons and winter tires in xl load rating here. A lot of people are searching so they don’t have to buy aftermarket rims or the expensive Tesla winter tire and wheel packages.

Can they slap on a different size, say the 265/45/21 and adjust / compensate via software? I would certainly would love to have square and 'meatier' tire, being in NYC.

They could adjust the speed and stability to correct it. But usually suspension is designed for a certain diameter and some other things. Haven’t heard of anybody trying to run 45s on the front but they may rub. Same for on the back over bumps.

Reactions: Quorky
I am pretty positive they are behind on orders not ahead. According to the tracker spreadsheet no one has gotten performance VIN's since 10/5. I am also not sure how they could store a bunch of vehicles with no tires on them.

If this is really because of tires, I would be happy to take 20” rims with all seasons for a couple grand less and call it a day. I was considering the performance Y without the performance upgrade but that is no longer an option. That option should be priced between the performance and long range, their pricing people need some help.

Reactions: DriverOne
If this is really because of tires, I would be happy to take 20” rims with all seasons for a couple grand less and call it a day. I was considering the performance Y without the performance upgrade but that is no longer an option. That option should be priced between the performance and long range, their pricing people need some help.

Weird to me that Tesla hasn’t done this already. Their margin on the Performance has to be better than the LR so I’d think they’d prioritize it. Especially with so many reviews floating around that say the 21s compromise the car.

I asked for this option more than once but was denied. I only wanted the speed and not the other stuff. In the end I went with an awd version.

I was at the local mall where Tesla had a small storefront, and I went in to inquire about the delay on MYPs. The salesman did not know anything about it, and I had to point out that if you order a standard MY, there is an order timeframe, but not if you select the MYP. I left and was walking to my car just 5 minutes later, and the salesman called to say that my car was going to be built in the second week of November. I don't know if that means that there is a tentative build date or a real one.

I was at the local mall where Tesla had a small storefront, and I went in to inquire about the delay on MYPs. The salesman did not know anything about it, and I had to point out that if you order a standard MY, there is an order timeframe, but not if you select the MYP. I left and was walking to my car just 5 minutes later, and the salesman called to say that my car was going to be built in the second week of November. I don't know if that means that there is a tentative build date or a real one.
When did you place your order?

don't feel sorry. Dale. all good. here's the deal in a nut shell.

their 7 day return policy was why i wasn't worried about it at all.. and you know what? the car is back and i'm ordering a M3P refreshed very soon (picked up an SUV for the wife). understand that when Pirelli P Zero has all season options (go on their page... P Zero car tire family: description and features | Pirelli ) i knew this already from an SUV back in the day, i didn't question the TWO different Tesla sales people about it.. nor did i see it EVER mentioned here... I KNOW P Zero's are commonly summer only (like that's the reason I asked not once but TWICE).

you make it sound as if a $60k car is somehow expensive? i guess it's all relative. had they NOT had their 7 day return policy? i would've purchased the 20" wheels and tires from T Sportline and moved on, but it was the principal. so (shoved it) Tesla got their car back. had they offered me $k discount because I need all season's?? fantastic.. they didn't. and it wasn't the SC fault. they were in the dark as much as me on the subject. and sorry but not too sorry all the MYP are on hold. you'll be better off for it. i hope they come out with either a 20" as standard and make the 21's optional with an all season on the 20's and summer only on the 21's or something to that effect. the fact that they're offering a $5500 winter tire option soon? LMFAO. OMG get real. i was considering the MYLR but i want the sport model and between the tire crap, loss of $5k rebate AND the M3 refresh? it's a no brainer to move to the M3P now. i'll lease that thing and turn it in and get whatever they have in 3yrs from now. the best thing that EVER happened was the summer tire debacle. idk what i was thinking buying that thing...
Lease it? I just ran the numbers last night on a MYLR $0 down lease vs. loan and at the 36mo you’ll only have saved about $2500 on the lease and be subject to mileage limits (in this case 12k). That’s hardly a good value proposition. I’d strongly urge you to just finance and have the flexibility of staying in your current car and then just trade it in or sell it privately. You’ll likely come out ahead or at least break even. Tesla manages to turn the whole lease vs. buy on its head.

I'm thinking of upgrading my LR to Performance. I was thinking of adding aftermarket wheels + acceleration booster to my LR but that would already add an extra $5k so might as well go Performance for another $5k with a much faster car. I already paid for the entire amount of the LR thru direct withdrawal. So how does it work if I upgrade to the Performance version? Do I just pay the remaining balance or will my first order get cancelled, get a refund, and make the payment all over again?

I'm thinking of upgrading my LR to Performance. I was thinking of adding aftermarket wheels + acceleration booster to my LR but that would already add an extra $5k so might as well go Performance for another $5k with a much faster car. I already paid for the entire amount of the LR thru direct withdrawal. So how does it work if I upgrade to the Performance version? Do I just pay the remaining balance or will my first order get cancelled, get a refund, and make the payment all over again?

Contact your owner advisor or just call your service center. Some things to note.... You're going to replace the uberturbines unless you're in a super fair weather state - they're heavy, staggered, and have ridiculous tire sizes. So either way, you're buying a 2nd set of wheels. The difference is that opting for the geminis on LR allows you to save money for your aftermarket wheels, and you can EASILY resell the gemini wheels as I'm sure performance owners are looking for a winter setup and the geminis will work great for them. Resell on the uberturbines is going to be terrible, because who is going to actually want to buy them?

I really think you should stay with your LR order - you're going to have to wait much longer for a performance car at this point. I initially ordered a perf and switched to long range.

Contact your owner advisor or just call your service center. Some things to note.... You're going to replace the uberturbines unless you're in a super fair weather state - they're heavy, staggered, and have ridiculous tire sizes. So either way, you're buying a 2nd set of wheels. The difference is that opting for the geminis on LR allows you to save money for your aftermarket wheels, and you can EASILY resell the gemini wheels as I'm sure performance owners are looking for a winter setup and the geminis will work great for them. Resell on the uberturbines is going to be terrible, because who is going to actually want to buy them?

I really think you should stay with your LR order - you're going to have to wait much longer for a performance car at this point. I initially ordered a perf and switched to long range.

Completely agree. The Performance is not a clear upgrade with no cons (wheels that must be replaced at additional cost, on top of the $10k price increase over the base LR, the spoiler hastily stuck on with double-sided tape that keeps on coming loose). IMHO, there isn't enough differentiation between the Performance and LR (w/ Acceleration Boost) to account for the price delta, especially when a clear differentiator (the wheels) is exactly what needs to be dealt with.

By the way, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger for FSD before the price increase, so I'm not adverse to the concept of spending disposable income for toys.

Last edited:

Not so sure about that, the 21’’ Überturbine wheels plus tires seem to go for between $3K-$4K on eBay plus shipping. Would cover the cost of some aftermarket wheels plus tires, possibly some extra $ for your pocket.

Resale on the performance should be higher, I may end up purchasing some cheap winter rims and winter tires for the Y. Yes you can buy a BMW M Sport package for less than a real M and it is almost as fast, but will never be a real M or command the premium when you go to sell.

Yes, I do wish there was a bit more separating the performance variant from the long range. Even if it is interior stitching, badging, contrasting colors, etc. but still want it. My other option is a Jeep Trackhawk but they are $70K+ used. Ouch.