Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y performance tires and changes in style for earlier delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a multipart question:
Has anyone ordered a Model Y Performance and got offered a Long Range for earlier Delivery?
Also, I currently have performance ordered and live in Massachusetts where it’s deadly cold and snowy all winter. I keep reading that those conditions aren’t good for 21” tires that the performance comes with. Why is that? If I get smaller tires, do I have to change the rims? Can I request Tesla service center install smaller tires when I pickup the vehicle or no?
Thanks for helping!

Tesla does not normally offer a different model (MYLR for a MYP customer) - the only example of this is the newer MYAWD's coming from Austin being offered to certain local MYLR reservation holders in the Texas region, which probably doesn't apply to you. Sometimes if (for example) a new MYP is rejected by a customer, it will be offered to the next reservation holder in the region who wanted the same color/option combo.

I defer to those in cold climates, but in general taller-tire/smaller-rim setups perform better in the snow vs low profile performance ones. Some folks keep 2 sets of wheels, one optimized for winter, and another for summer. Yes, that typically requires a second set of (smaller) rims for the winter setup.

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone was offered a Long range for a performance reservation, its the other way around! Upgrade the reservation to MYP and get the Y sooner.
Some MYP are shipped with performance tires that get very hard like "rock" in icy conditions bcos of rubber compound characteristics. Some are shipping with All season's, a little bit better but not good for Boston winter. You're better off with 19" All seasons or have a winter tire/wheel set. Tire sizes are based on wheel (Rims) sizes. Both need to match. Tesla Service center won't change unless you order extra set of wheels and tires from Tesla and have them installed.

Upvote 0
Has anyone ordered a Model Y Performance and got offered a Long Range for earlier Delivery?
Also, I currently have performance ordered and live in Massachusetts where it’s deadly cold and snowy all winter. I keep reading that those conditions aren’t good for 21” tires that the performance comes with. Why is that? If I get smaller tires, do I have to change the rims? Can I request Tesla service center install smaller tires when I pickup the vehicle or no?
Thanks for helping!
If you get lucky and get all season tires you should be ok in moderate snow. If you don’t you will most definitely need new tires. You can buy new wheels and tires but Tesla is not going to change them for you. Also remember they are staggered. If your at all worries about tires and such I would stick with a the long range.

Upvote 0
So as a MYP reservation holder who lives in Texas....in my account I have been offered the MY-AWD (aka standard range) coming from Austin 4 times already. Basically, a blue button shows up on my reservation letting me know they have a similar car available. I click it and it tells me the price, how much I would save compared to my current reservation, and what options it has. It's first come, first serve on those. I want an MYP, so I ignore them at this point. They usually disappear from my reservation account in less than 15 minutes meaning someone picked that car. My guess is they're offering it to both MYP and MYLR reservation holders here in Texas.

Upvote 0
So as a MYP reservation holder who lives in Texas....in my account I have been offered the MY-AWD (aka standard range) coming from Austin 4 times already. Basically, a blue button shows up on my reservation letting me know they have a similar car available. I click it and it tells me the price, how much I would save compared to my current reservation, and what options it has. It's first come, first serve on those. I want an MYP, so I ignore them at this point. They usually disappear from my reservation account in less than 15 minutes meaning someone picked that car. My guess is they're offering it to both MYP and MYLR reservation holders here in Texas.
Interesting! Thanks for the info. I don’t think that will happen to me out here in MA but cool to see how it works for you guys

Upvote 0
Thanks for helping!
MIGS, I have a 22 Y Performance that was delivered with Michelin all season tires. They performed great all summer. I caved yesterday and ordered a set of 19” wheels and Michelin snow tires. My fear is the pothole more than the snow. And I’d like to be able to use a car wash in winter. The low profile is problematic. The new set goes on Saturday. I figure the investment is in the extra wheels only as I’ll save 4 or 5 months wear on my original tires.

Upvote 0
MIGS, I have a 22 Y Performance that was delivered with Michelin all season tires. They performed great all summer. I caved yesterday and ordered a set of 19” wheels and Michelin snow tires. My fear is the pothole more than the snow. And I’d like to be able to use a car wash in winter. The low profile is problematic. The new set goes on Saturday. I figure the investment is in the extra wheels only as I’ll save 4 or 5 months wear on my original tires.
I forgot to mention that I live in Rhode Island.

Upvote 0
UPDATE. Even though my Model Y Performance was delivered with all seasons, I broke down and decided to get a winter set of wheels and tires. New England potholes sucks. These are Michelin X-Ice Snow 255/45R19 with Enkei Vulcan 19x8. The Tesla sensors paired immediately. The assistance from Tire Rack was superb and the delivery next day.
Unknown.jpeg

Upvote 0
UPDATE. Even though my Model Y Performance was delivered with all seasons, I broke down and decided to get a winter set of wheels and tires. New England potholes sucks. These are Michelin X-Ice Snow 255/45R19 with Enkei Vulcan 19x8. The Tesla sensors paired immediately. The assistance from Tire Rack was superb and the delivery next day.View attachment 886082
Those winter sets are tough! Very nice loadout. Assuming square stance too? How's the driving comfort? Can you tell the improvement from going down to 19" from the 21"? I would drive this all year, lol.

Upvote 0
Those winter sets are tough! Very nice loadout. Assuming square stance too? How's the driving comfort? Can you tell the improvement from going down to 19" from the 21"? I would drive this all year, lol.
I can’t really tell a difference between my 19” wheels with Michelin X ice and the 21” uberturbine with Michelin all seasons it came with. If there is a difference to me it’s negligible. Not enough to consider not keeping the 21s anyway. Only reason I’d change might be tire cost/availability or range.

Upvote 0