Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back to the tow yard to grab a few things and take another look at the car. Pretty sure it’s a goner. It’s going to a salvage yard where they will ultimately decide.

Attachments

• 1A532D31-1694-4858-8401-FC89F262A61C.jpeg
    1A532D31-1694-4858-8401-FC89F262A61C.jpeg
    717.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 9F1C69A5-B755-47E0-BF28-EDEC14FC6AED.jpeg
    9F1C69A5-B755-47E0-BF28-EDEC14FC6AED.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 104
  • C530F614-7C45-4FE6-8B13-D73B9A3A5CEB.jpeg
    C530F614-7C45-4FE6-8B13-D73B9A3A5CEB.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 105
  • FEB120CD-5E8E-4EE6-A3B4-BA7F955D99B0.jpeg
    FEB120CD-5E8E-4EE6-A3B4-BA7F955D99B0.jpeg
    802.9 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: MyMYLRnw
dang yeah honestly id want it to be totalled, as far as the double yellow. once again a tough one, a bulldozer is required to have flashing lights on and in considered to be passable. i would fight hard because if you are actively passing doesn't matter double yellow or not. Did you happen to see if it had a license plate on it? if not you are even in a better position as then it cant even act as a moving vehicle on a public road and him turning not looking out would put him at fault as he is not considered a moving vehicle on a public road. Construction vehicles are required to have flashing lights on especially if they are not registered to drive on the road and are deemed passable at all time( of course safely) so the double yellow in that case does not matter, similar to say if a bicyle was on the shoulder and you crossed over the double yellow to safely pass them, this could be a good reason to get a good lawyer
I was looking into this more, and cannot find any documentation supporting this claim - at least not for California. Again, the bulldozer did not have any flashing lights, no signaling etc, and no license plate. But none of these are called out as reasons the vehicle cannot legally be on the road. Nor can I find anything that says passing on a double yellow is acceptable when behind such a vehicle.

I was looking into this more, and cannot find any documentation supporting this claim - at least not for California. Again, the bulldozer did not have any flashing lights, no signaling etc, and no license plate. But none of these are called out as reasons the vehicle cannot legally be on the road. Nor can I find anything that says passing on a double yellow is acceptable when behind such a vehicle.
Searching on the internet, I found was various comments about passing a vehicle in a double yellow line location.
The following articles content some interesting points:

Last edited:
Reactions: Z_Lynx and AGNL
Yea, I am not going to even try appealing the citation. That was an honest mistake - I'm sure others have done the same to pass slow moving construction vehicles. With that said, this is my first citation is many many years so can do traffic school and thankfully have accident forgiveness on my policy also. I do still feel the driver of the bull dozer is at least partially responsible given he had no lights, no plates and did not signal (and was very clearly staring at his phone). We'll see, but this is why you pay for insurance.

Reactions: jpy1980
Here are a few more pics from the CoPart facility. Looks even worse than it did after the accident. Hoping insurance will have an answer on Monday.

Attachments

• 6A57AF60-3B66-48A6-BD53-0F3D62CB8B29.jpeg
    6A57AF60-3B66-48A6-BD53-0F3D62CB8B29.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 73
  • 6D783AF8-7041-4320-87C0-FCDCD0F16CFC.jpeg
    6D783AF8-7041-4320-87C0-FCDCD0F16CFC.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 80
  • F320EA7F-6BB9-496C-8735-BB78BE7BA4D8.jpeg
    F320EA7F-6BB9-496C-8735-BB78BE7BA4D8.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 73
Here are a few more pics from the CoPart facility. Looks even worse than it did after the accident. Hoping insurance will have an answer on Monday.
I suggest looking up recent sales of similar year model/equipment/mileage around your area to have an idea how much is the market value of your car before the accident. Take a snap shot of the current mileage (in app) as proof while you have access.

Had a Model X totaled in 2020 - USAA valued it based on 3 comparable recent sale of the same model. The valuation was at $62K initially. I contested it because they compared my car to not only different year model and trim Model Xs but with really high mileage cars (20K vs 6K miles), and missing higher value options like 6 seats/22" wheels. They revised the valuation to $92K. I had GAP insurance so I end up losing just shy of $5K on a Model X that I used for 5 months.

I managed to save the Homelink module, one of 2 key fobs, Maxpider 3d mats, and sunroof screen. I wish I did a factory reset when allowed to grab items while it was at the yard.

Wishing you the best outcome. GL. 🙏

I suggest looking up recent sales of similar year model/equipment/mileage around your area to have an idea how much is the market value of your car before the accident. Take a snap shot of the current mileage (in app) as proof while you have access.

Had a Model X totaled in 2020 - USAA valued it based on 3 comparable recent sale of the same model. The valuation was at $62K initially. I contested it because they compared my car to not only different year model and trim Model Xs but with really high mileage cars (20K vs 6K miles), and missing higher value options like 6 seats/22" wheels. They revised the valuation to $92K. I had GAP insurance so I end up losing just shy of $5K on a Model X that I used for 5 months.

I managed to save the Homelink module, one of 2 key fobs, Maxpider 3d mats, and sunroof screen. I wish I did a factory reset when allowed to grab items while it was at the yard.

Wishing you the best outcome. GL. 🙏
Thank you! These are all very good points! I “think” the settlement will be ok given the strength of the used market even now. It still seems like used MYP models are selling for just over new.

The only thing I’m concerned about is my wrap/ceramic/tints etc but this is all insured as a separate line item in the policy so I should be ok.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Heard back from insurance and as expected this was deemed a total loss. Their settlement is very fair and covered all my extras. I highly recommend adding an amendatory endorsement to your policy for things like PPF, ceramic etc.

Now I know this is not the right place to ask - but I am STRONGLY considering replacing with an X5 45e. I did order another MYP just in case but I truly believe these are the highest prices we will see for the Y. Also the 45e is eligible for a $7500 tax credit (at least until the end of the year). The cars are within $2-3k of each other BEFORE the tax credit. Thoughts?

Heard back from insurance and as expected this was deemed a total loss. Their settlement is very fair and covered all my extras. I highly recommend adding an amendatory endorsement to your policy for things like PPF, ceramic etc.

Now I know this is not the right place to ask - but I am STRONGLY considering replacing with an X5 45e. I did order another MYP just in case but I truly believe these are the highest prices we will see for the Y. Also the 45e is eligible for a $7500 tax credit (at least until the end of the year). The cars are within $2-3k of each other BEFORE the tax credit. Thoughts?
Always cool to try other cars. If I were you I’d try and test drive one to make sure.

Always cool to try other cars. If I were you I’d try and test drive one to make sure.
Agree. It’s drives really nice! Don’t need to overload with options either. Traditionally I’d lean MY again for resale value. But once the credit is back next year and the market calms down I think the resale of an MYP at todays pricing will also suffer. X5 45e has just enough range for around town trips but can comfortably adapt for long road trips.

Agree. It’s drives really nice! Don’t need to overload with options either. Traditionally I’d lean MY again for resale value. But once the credit is back next year and the market calms down I think the resale of an MYP at todays pricing will also suffer. X5 45e has just enough range for around town trips but can comfortably adapt for long road trips.
Sweet! Well you had an awesome MYP, so might as well try the X5. If you don’t like it, just come back :)

Good luck and glad you’re ok from that accident. Damn bulldozers!

Sweet! Well you had an awesome MYP, so might as well try the X5. If you don’t like it, just come back :)

Good luck and glad you’re ok from that accident. Damn bulldozers!
Thanks. Me too. And I don’t know - I love my X5 (purchased in August) so much for fit and finish alone. But i keep coming back to the MY for my wife. It really was a great car. And if I bring it back exactly as it was before I can forget this even happened.